Thread: Hover/Tucows

Thumbs down Hover/Tucows

Warning: Stay away from this company. They do domain registration, hosting, and e-mail hosting. They own a massive number of surname domains and sell e-mail accounts at those domains. For example, I have the e-mail address jan@bergeron.net (first name@last name). I have had this address for over 10 years.

When I first signed up for this email address, I did so assuming it would be a "life-long" address. The company at that time was called Mailbank and only dealt in email hosting. It was wonderful. It worked flawlessly. I paid $9.95 per year for the address (now it's $35 per year). I could use Web mail or any POP client.

At some point Mailbank was purchased by Tucows, and from that point on everything started a downhill slide. Lots of down time, often lasting for days on end. Non-existent customer service. I hung in there because the email address was widely known and used by colleagues and associates.

After several years of ups and downs in service, they announced a new beginning. At this point the same company was doing email hosting and Web hosting under several different names. Then they changed the name to Hover, a whole new service consolidating all of the separate companies under one name. Things went smoothly for a while. When there were problems, support was prompt and courteous. But all that has now gone away and they are right back where Netidentity was a year ago.

I now get no response to help requests...the most recent one being 72+ hours old with no response. Yesterday I added a post to one of their forums where others had complained about service. Today that topic is gone. To avoid addressing the problem, they simply deleted it from the forum. This is the way they operate.

I'm posting this in the hopes that it will save someone else the aggravation of dealing with them.

Avoid Hover and Tucows like a bad case of the flu.

So you are having a tremendous amount of problems with a simple mail account or am I misunderstanding?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    So you are having a tremendous amount of problems with a simple mail account or am I misunderstanding?
    Yes, that's basically it. The only service I have with them is the mail account (fortunately); however, the problem is with the entire system--poor customer service or total lack thereof. Any post on their forums that is the least bit critical of their service mysteriously disappears. Last night I created a new topic in which I complained about the lack of response from customer service, today that topic is gone. If someone adds a comment to a topic, which is critical of Hover or Tucows, the entire topic disappears, not just the comment.

There are other posts in their forums that ask questions about hosting problems or domain name problems or email problems. If the original post is rather innocuous, and subsequent comments are not too critical, the topic may endure for some period of time. But, as soon as someone posts something critical of their service, boom, the entire topic is gone.

This is the ostrich approach to problems. Hide, and the problem goes away.

BTW, I haven't used WebHosting Talk for quite some time because I am quite satisfied with my hosting company (HTTPme). It's been so long that I guess my old account was deactivated, so I had to sign up for a new account. I did this because I figured this is the only venue where I can tell people about Hover and Tucows without having my comments removed.

Quote Originally Posted by janbergeron View Post
    Yes, that's basically it. The only service I have with them is the mail account (fortunately); however, the problem is with the entire system--poor customer service or total lack thereof. Any post on their forums that is the least bit critical of their service mysteriously disappears. Last night I created a new topic in which I complained about the lack of response from customer service, today that topic is gone. If someone adds a comment to a topic, which is critical of Hover or Tucows, the entire topic disappears, not just the comment.
    Ah, I am sorry to hear that - you may want to do what you can to let everybody know of a new address at a new provider and then just keep the old account for a while until you are fairly certain everybody is updated that needs to be updated.

There are other posts in their forums that ask questions about hosting problems or domain name problems or email problems. If the original post is rather innocuous, and subsequent comments are not too critical, the topic may endure for some period of time. But, as soon as someone posts something critical of their service, boom, the entire topic is gone.
    Honestly that's not very surprising - it's not honest or ethical in my opinion but when you use a provider's forum they can remove anything and everything that they choose and there's not much you can do about it.

This is the ostrich approach to problems. Hide, and the problem goes away.
    Your approach or their approach? I doubt they are "hiding" but more likely simply ignoring.

BTW, I haven't used WebHosting Talk for quite some time because I am quite satisfied with my hosting company (HTTPme). It's been so long that I guess my old account was deactivated, so I had to sign up for a new account. I did this because I figured this is the only venue where I can tell people about Hover and Tucows without having my comments removed.
    Yeah, you won't be censored unless you get way out of line (such as using explicative or personally attacking other members) or violating some other WHTs rules or something like that.

You may want to put in a ticket at the helpdesk (http://helpdesk.webhostingtalk.com) to see if they can re-activate your old account and merge it with your current one. Having two accounts is a violation of the rules but considering the circumstances if your old account is still existent I am sure they will be more than happy to help you out with that
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.