Best hosting for eLearning?

Hello, I'd like to know which hosting type (shared, vps, etc.) is best suitable for the Claroline eLearning script (claroline.net), and which provider do you recommend me.

Thanks in advance

By looking over the script requirements I'd say any standard Linux environment would do just fine. Depending on how many visitors or users you may have you may want to go towards getting a VPS. If you don't expect too many visitors or users then I believe shared hosting should be more than enough.

Well, its for a school with about 500 students.

Btw, here are more requirements:

Php version >= 5.2
    MySQL version >= 4.3
    Zlib compression
    Regular expressions
    XML
    mbstring or iconv
    safe_mode = Off
    magic_quotes_runtime = Off
    short_open_tags = Off

Safe mode Off
    Display errors Off
    Register globals Off
    Magic quotes GPC Off
    File uploads On
    Upload max filesize 8-100M
    Post max size 8-100M

If you're starting out the shared environment should suit you well, but you should certainly contact any hosts you're interested in and tell them about what you need and see if they can help you out with it. Try the offers section here for a great number of options.

Shared would be a good start, but VPS would be a good longer term strategy. Shared to begin with because you are not responsible for configuring much.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Shared would be a good start, but VPS would be a good longer term strategy. Shared to begin with because you are not responsible for configuring much.
    Good advice i would also recommend either start with a shared hosting or plan ahead and get a vps, you can get a vps now a days for the same price as a big shared hosting account

With those requirements it shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers.

What is the budget of the project? If you're looking at more than $30/month than VPS may be best to cut out having to migrate later. If less, a sturdy shared hosting plan will do the trick.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

shared hosting will be good for you

I would go for more of a higher-end shared hosting plan so that you don't have to 1) pay extra to find a MANAGED VPS and 2) you don't have to manage a server yourself to keep the price low. I would look in the $12 to $20/month range.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

shared hosting will be good for you
    Nor productive or useful, However, I would recommend start on a Shared Hosting Plan it is small and very useful.. There is no point in going for a VPS if it is not needed.

If your new webhost thinks it is consuming too much or requires an upgrade they should advise you of this and you can take the appropriate actions from there.

As others have advised, Start on a Shared Hosting account and see how you fair. Talk with your webhost about your site maybe and advisable before hand and see what solutions they come up with and you can choose from that point.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Besides claroline, there's moodle is also good option for elearning.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

This might be of help to you

BigGyan (Translation - Big Knowledge) is a cloud eLearning platform in the world. BigGyan enables education institutes and enterprises to provide eLearning to their students and employees.

Use BigGyan to augment your class, increase communication, answer questions, and provide research resources for your students. BigGyan provides a ready-made template for a course web site. It is easy to use and provides multiple interactive functions that can enhance the learning experience: e-mail, assessments, gradebook, discussion groups, etc. If you want a quick, easy and effective way to deliver course materials for a class, use BigGyan. You can try it for free, sign-up and get lifetime account today.

What sets BigGyan apart from other eLearning providers is that it is a complete eLearning solution. It has revolutioned eLearning by making eLearning as easy as eMail.

I would strongly recommend going with a shared hosting provider and checking with them to ensure they can meet your script's requirements.

500 users does not sound like a lot in this case but if it was, a high class VPS or low end dedicated server may be in order.

A Learning Management System (LMS) is a software to help deliver, track and manage training and/or education. The LMSs are typically web based and offer a wide range to services that can be used to administering content and learning.

hi,

i will suggest you to try ucvhost.com, although they have starting range from 9.99(vpslite ) but i have 34usd VPS (soho VPS) and i have tested almost every application there.

and you know what is the best part about ucv , if your app doesn't work on there VPS you can ask for a refund within 30 days of purchase and they provide this kind of refund without any question.

its my personal experience with ucv.

its gud so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hvalle98 View Post
    Upload max filesize 8-100M
    Post max size 8-100M
    Many shared hosts have really low limits of around 10MB uploads for upload_max_filesize and post_max_size, where as some (mainly hosts that don't oversell/overload their servers) will allow much higher limits of up to 1GB via HTTP. Be sure to check with the host.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I would go for more of a higher-end shared hosting plan so that you don't have to 1) pay extra to find a MANAGED VPS and 2) you don't have to manage a server yourself to keep the price low. I would look in the $12 to $20/month range.
    I agree with Mike's comments.

You could even use a Semi-Dedicated account which would be perfect for your project, IMO.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Try a host that will upgrade you from a shared to VPS for free but of course it will be a little more pricy. That way you can ensure your site is online 24/7 for the students and you will a little more processing power too.

Besides, you can get a VPS for as little £15 i think. Try offer section.
    Last edited by josephgarbett; 04-19-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by jwebhost View Post
    Besides, you can get a VPS for as little £15 i think. Try offer section.
    True, but then you have to pay extra for cPanel/WHM + management. If cPanel/WHM + management is included in the price for £15 then I bet the spec of the VPS will be really low. If this is the case, then the OP would be better off using a Shared Hosting/Semi-Dedicated account as you can use a lot more resources with them.

If you can afford it, just put in for a Fully Managed Dedicated Server with cPanel/WHM included.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

if you are not expecting too much visitors shared hosting is best for you.and even i support ucvhost.com

A Learning Management System (LMS) is a software to help deliver, track and manage training and/or education. The LMSs are typically web based and offer a wide range to services that can be used to administering content and learning.

BigGyan Cloud eLearning

BigGyan LMS is one such learning software which provides features such as web-based training and e-learning solutions with a simple and intuitive user interface that caters to the needs of technical and non-technical training managers alike. BigGyan can be used to provide on demand content which can be delivered online without the need for investing in expensive hardware.

Hi mate,

My suggestion is VPS.

Thanking you,
    David