West Yorkshire, UK

Networking a Vista PC with a XP Laptop

Hey all!

First off, let me admit that I'm a rare breed... I know plenty about the Internet (some would even debate that. ) but know very little about computer hardware/networking etc. And that's why I'm here with a question.

I have a Dell Vista PC setup in my office. Attached to that, I have a Netgear wireless router. I also have a very old, but very useful HP Compaq laptop, running XP.

All of my work files are on the Vista PC, but more and more these days I'm finding myself working and surfing using my laptop. While I can use the wireless Internet provided by the Netgear router to do this, I haven't (yet) figured out how to network the two computers together so I can share files, and most importantly access the files on my desktop from my laptop.

I tried playing around with network settings and various setup wizards on both machines today, but all I achieved was breaking my Internet connection.

So I'm here to ask, how do I go about being able to access my desktop files (running on Vista), from my laptop (running on XP), using the wireless Netgear router? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

- Jamie Harrop

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    right click my computer, properties, computer name, click change and make sure both are in the same workgroup, i use mshome.

When this is done..

Go to a folder (doesnt matter which folder really)... click taools tools, folder options click the view tab, scroll to the bottom uncheck use simple file sharing

do this to both machines.

Now that is done, you may want to reboot each pc (you may not have to)

Now, right click on any folder then click sharing and security

click share this folder, you may want to add a user and remove everyone, and make sure the user has whatever permissions you want to give it.. the user would be a username that is on that machine itself.. say my name is cody and my password is [email protected]. you would need to use that on the oposite machine to login to that folder..

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know

You need to assign fixed IP (private, internal like 192.168.1.x and same subnet on the PC and Laptop) then enable file sharing.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

West Yorkshire, UK
    Thanks guys. cselzer's suggestion worked perfectly.

The only problem I have left is I can't access the folder without having the desktop logged on, but I guess there's no way around this. It's much better than I had before, so thank you.
    - Jamie Harrop