Question Private Name Server?

How does one replace the host's name server to your own domain?

In other words instead of NS1.MY-HOST.COM it would be NS1.MY-DOMAIN.COM.

My registrar is Moniker.

Other registrars seems to have a "private name server" feature in their control panels.

Thanks in advance!

If your registrar doesn't offer this, you will need to create and run your own name servers, or use a free-to-low-cost 3rd party DNS service (DNSMadeEasy, etc.)
    OR
    transfer your domain to a host that allows private name server creation (GoDaddy, etc.)
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

You need to create these name servers in your dns settings. Which control panel do you use? Do you have root access, reseller access, or just shared access to the server?
    Quality Hosting - http://www.robohostingsolutions.com
    My Blog - http://solidservers.ca
    Freelance Server Administration (decent rates!) - Chris(at)SolidServers.ca

You need to set up host records for ns1 and ns2 at your domain registrar - it's sometimes referred to as "child nameservers" as well. They would need to point to the same IPs as the ns1.your-host.com and ns2.your-host.com.

Once you have done this you would need to set up NS records and A-records at your host (or wherever you have your DNS Zone Hosted) that point to those IPs as well.

Once all of this is completed you can switch the domain to ns1 and ns2.your-domain.com.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mark3 View Post
    How does one replace the host's name server to your own domain?

In other words instead of NS1.MY-HOST.COM it would be NS1.MY-DOMAIN.COM.

My registrar is Moniker.

Other registrars seems to have a "private name server" feature in their control panels.

Thanks in advance!
    If you don't can find this feature in your control panel; ask your registrar to register the nameservers for you by provide him the name for the nameservers and the IP addresses.
    Online power for online people!

That is the feature of your web hosting provider NOT your domain name registrar. And all what you need right now is just find web hosting solution for the domain name and setup own records

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    That is the feature of your web hosting provider NOT your domain name registrar. And all what you need right now is just find web hosting solution for the domain name and setup own records
    Actually, it can be both. I have registered vanity name servers through my domain registrar AND my hosting provider. Just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Not sure about that:

I suppose mark3 want record his nameservers.
    Online power for online people!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDot View Post
    Not sure about that:

I suppose mark3 want record his nameservers.
    Perhaps they offer web hosting as well? That is not rare nowadays

May I ask what for you need them? Are you reseller? If so I assume that should be provided to you with your reseller account
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

It would depend who your domain registrar is and weather or not they have this option enabled.

May I ask who your domain is hosted with?

Thanks for all the replies, but I am very confused now

Sorry if I didn't explain clearly, I may have confused you all.

Let me try to clear it up...

Basically I have a "shared" hosting plan (not reseller, not VPS, not dedicated).

With the plan I can host numerous domains.

I do web design so instead of telling clients to point their domain to NS1.SOME-OTHER-COMPANY.COM I want to replace that with NS1.MY-COMPANY.COM

Besides appearing more professional, it would prevent my clients checking out services/pricing from another company.

I asked the host this and was trying to be sold another higher priced package for reselling that I don't need (I don't want to resell hosting) - are private name servers really that complicated? And I'm waiting for an answer from my registrar but from what I read here this may be on the hosting side.

I'm willing to switch to another host if one is more flexible who allows private name servers.

You can easily set these in your Web hosting manager control panel if you are using a vps or dedicated server. But if you are not you can ask you shared host if they offer private name servers.

If your registrar does not allow private / vanity name servers, you have three options:

1. Move your domain(s) to one that does.
    2. Use a 3rd party DNS service that allows you to create private / vanity name servers (like DNSMadeEasy.com)
    3. Actually register and setup your own DNS servers (this would require more than a shared hosting account, you would have to get either a reseller acct, vps, or greater)

That's really about your only 3 options with shared hosting. If you can upgrade to a reseller account, most of them support private name server creation.
    Keep in mind that with options 1 & 2, you are actually just assigning a CNAME to someone else's DNS servers.

Also, no matter what you set your DNS servers names as, anyone that knows how can do a lookup on the IP itself to find who actually owns it. That's information you can't change, so although this will help you hide a bit more, it's not going to guarantee someone can not find who you are hosted under. A simple traceroute will show that in most cases, regardless of DNS names assinged to any IP.

Hope that helps.