Need help configuring Bind for a local domain name

A customer of mine has recently purchased a ".ma" (Morocco) domain name from his local registrar and I am having trouble adding it to his hosting package on my US Based VPS.

His registrar says that if we want to use our own Nameservers with that domain, we need to edit our "/etc/named.conf" file like that:
    zone "ddddd.ma" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/ddddd.ma.db";
    allow-transfer {67.15.249.49;67.15.249.149;67.15.212.212;67.15.249.249;};
    };

the original file being:
    zone "ddddd.ma" {
    type master;
    file "/var/named/ddddd.ma.db";
    };

So as you might have noticed, it comes down to adding this line:
    allow-transfer {67.15.249.49;67.15.249.149;67.15.212.212;67.15.249.249;};

My first question is:
    - How can I do that automatically (using WHM or cPanel) without doing it manually?
    - What is that instruction for? why can't it be added like any other international domain name (.com .net ...)? Are there any cautions or risks?

The other alternative we are offered, is to use the local registrar's DNS servers and add "hosts" like shown in the screenshot below:
    http://imgbot.com/images/upv9mgsf7g3k2y9xxyg4.jpg

My second question is:
    - Is that a better way to deal with that domain?
    - How can I properly configure all the services attached with the domain from that interface (mail, web...)?

Thanks a lot to anyone who takes the time to answer, I have been browsing for answer for two days now with little success.

If you are the only one loading this domain, you don't need to have the allow-transfers.
    Do you really want to host this domain on your own name servers, or just point the IP to a web server / mail server?
    Most registrars offer free DNS service to do this. Unless you are running a registered authoritative name server, (by your question it sounds like you may not be) you really don't want to run one just for one domain.

What is your actual goal, to get a web page up at that domain?
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

What is your actual goal, to get a web page up at that domain?
    Allow my customer to get pages up on that domain, use the mail functions, install ssl certificats... and everything a hosting package can offer. No unusual function will be needed, just the normal stuff.
    If you are the only one loading this domain, you don't need to have the allow-transfers.
    Not sure what you mean here, but this domain has to be available to anyone on the web, so I am not the only one to load it. However, no other server will use it for any kind of service.
    Do you really want to host this domain on your own name servers, or just point the IP to a web server / mail server? Most registrars offer free DNS service to do this. Unless you are running a registered authoritative name server, (by your question it sounds like you may not be) you really don't want to run one just for one domain.
    For our brand image, it would be better if we could associate our own NS to the domain (we have private nameservers set up). We also have (and will be having) tens of domains using those nameservers, so it is an issue we will be facing repeatedly.

To sum it up, my main concern is:
    - are there any performance issues when using one alternative rather than the other
    - what is the allow-transfer option for?

Anyway, thx very much for your help!

Allow-transfers is only for other domain name servers that need to pull the entire record over to serve also, as in a secondary server. You don't need this for the public to be able to query and get an ip for a record. You don't need this.

If you are just loading a handful of domains, there is not much of a performance hit. It only answers when someone asks where your domain(s) are, but then they cache that info, so each client asks once, until your records TTL expires.

I would highly suggest you move your domain to godaddy, create your vanity name servers, and just do your dns from there. This way, you don't have to physically run name servers and learn bind, you can just use the nice web interface

I would highly suggest you move your domain to godaddy, create your vanity name servers, and just do your dns from there. This way, you don't have to physically run name servers and learn bind, you can just use the nice web interface
    lol, but if I am not mistaken, godaddy can't manage .ma domains, they are not authorized to do so! otherwise, that's what I would have done in the first place as I usually do with international domains.
    plus, I am not sure my customer(s) would want that and be able to do it (Godaddy is in English only and uses USD...)
    I have an intuition what the registrar is requesting from me is a requirement from there provider (the country's registrar), must be some regulation or something, do you know of anything like that?
    Last edited by numerix; 09-14-2009 at 12:00 AM.

It wasn't stated you were looking for a particular region or language, only the TLD extension.

The obvious answer would be to move to one that DOES support .ma, and allows DNS / vanity name servers.
    Second, I'd look at like afraid.org or DNSMadeEasy just for managing DNS.
    If those don't work, then you may want to run your own name servers, but you will have to verse yourself on bind and DNS.

As for answering your original question, you were pretty close on how to load it.
    You create your zone file (bind will have some examples you can copy) and load that via your named.conf (again, bind will have a master example you can use as a template).
    You will want to use the master server example, as opposed to the secondary example.

Quote Originally Posted by numerix View Post
    The other alternative we are offered, is to use the local registrar's DNS servers and add "hosts" like shown in the screenshot below:
    http://imgbot.com/images/upv9mgsf7g3k2y9xxyg4.jpg

My second question is:
    - Is that a better way to deal with that domain?
    - How can I properly configure all the services attached with the domain from that interface (mail, web...)?

Thanks a lot to anyone who takes the time to answer, I have been browsing for answer for two days now with little success.
    This looks like it will be the best way forward for you, and yes everything should work fine. As long as you remember to make all changes on the registrars dns platform (like adding A records etc.).

I have several domains set like this allbeit using enoms DNS and everything is fine...

HTH

Just add your IP address in for * @ and www, oh and your mx server as well...
    Ore Stone Radio
    Playing the best unsigned new music 24 hours a day
    Musicians - Visit our forums to submit your music for airplay

www.orestoneradio.com an Ore Stone Music Ltd. Company

I don't mind learning more about Bind and the DNS world, when you are a "serious" webhost, these are things you must eventually master!
    You will want to use the master server example, as opposed to the secondary example
    Sorry, but that's not clear to me, what are you calling "master" and "secondary"??
    This looks like it will be the best way forward for you, and yes everything should work fine. As long as you remember to make all changes on the registrars dns platform (like adding A records etc.).
    I am currently using my own DNS and things are working fine, but if you say this would be the best way to go, I will switch to that as long as you can be more specific on the necessary changes (I don't want to miss any important record).
    Just add your IP address in for * @ and www, oh and your mx server as well...
    The * @ and www are clear to me, but how can I find out what my MX server is?

Anyway, thank you guys for helping me out on that issue, I really appreciate it.

For MX, just create an A record for your mail host, like

mail A ip.add.re.ss

Then for your domain, make an MX entry pointing to that -

@ MX 10 mail

For your base domain (@), all mail will be routed to mail.yourdomain.ext