Thread: Pingdom Problem

Thumbs down Pingdom Problem

Hi

I always thought that Pingdom is among the best when it comes to website/server monitoring. But this view is going to change now.

Yesterday, I noticed that one my domain's DNS has been changed but the registrar (See why?) and its not loading. I am not sure how log it had been down by that time as I never received a "Down" alert from Pingdom. (And I always trusted Pingdom for down alerts )

I logged into Pingdom to check if I had made any mistake. But there wasn't any and it was still showing site "Online"

I sent a support ticket asking them to explain the issue. The site was down and the Pingdom was still showing it Online. Its been 22:30 hours till then and I haven't received a reply back. (Do they ever reply back?)

And now from last 2 hours or so, I am continuously getting Site UP/ Site down alerts. (I have received about 15-18 so far) The site is still offline. I am not sure what's going on with Pingdome

Anyone has experienced such an issue with them??
    I am going to look for other options now as I don't believe in Pingdome. (Not anymore) Would you please suggest any alternative with 1min monitoring? (Free will be great, paid will be good)

Sorry if I am again posting in the wrong forum.
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

Hi Fastian,

I just wanted to let you know that our support has looked at this (and emailed you back).

The reason it wasn't immediately detected seems to have been due to a long TTL for your domain (all our monitoring servers have their own BIND server that caches DNS lookups according to standard practices (according to TTL)).

And just a brief aside: It's actually possible to set up DNS-specific tests that would catch these kinds of DNS-specific problems pretty much immediately. Although, with a free account you're of course limited to one check so I can undestand why you hadn't done this.

It wasn't entirely clear to us exactly what your registrar had done, though, so we have also asked you for some additional information regarding this. It would be helpful in investigating this further.

For more information, please have a look at the email we sent you.

I hope that helps.

Pingdom is a good company. there are other options but I think they have a very professional service.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastian View Post
    Anyone has experienced such an issue with them??
    I had a yearly paid account with them, i got an email saying my renewal was coming up in a few weeks and realized it was automatic. I don't like auto debits i prefer to pay things manually, so i canceled the auto deduction.

Zap my whole account went and i was locked out, 11 months data i wanted to save gone and my remaining time i had paid for was gone.

Also the one time i contacted them they were no help, despite previously saying they would.

Needless to say i didn't manually renew like i intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingdom View Post
    Hi Fastian,

I just wanted to let you know that our support has looked at this (and emailed you back).
    Thanks for the speedy response. I did get your reply after exactly 33:45 hours.

The reason it wasn't immediately detected seems to have been due to a long TTL for your domain (all our monitoring servers have their own BIND server that caches DNS lookups according to standard practices (according to TTL)).
    So you are saying that since I had a long TTL value, Pingdom was unable to detect the site being "inaccessible"?? If TTL value makes such a huge difference, you should put it on your sign up form that all users need to change it to a smaller value.

I have TTL of 86400 which is very common for all shared hosts. And being on shared hosting, I don't think many users can change it. And after seeing your response here (and on email) it looks like Pingdom isn't meant for shared hosting clients.

And just a brief aside: It's actually possible to set up DNS-specific tests that would catch these kinds of DNS-specific problems pretty much immediately. Although, with a free account you're of course limited to one check so I can undestand why you hadn't done this.
    You don't have to advertise Pingdom features everywhere. I know how to setup Pingdom as I also have a "Basic" package. I signed up for the free one as I am already using 5 checks for Basic.

A was using HTTP check with "mydomain.com/index.php" as check URL. When "mydomain.com" was not pointing to anything, how could I be online???

When Host-Tracker and Siteuptime were able to trace it, why didn't Pingdom??
    It wasn't entirely clear to us exactly what your registrar had done, though, so we have also asked you for some additional information regarding this. It would be helpful in investigating this further.

For more information, please have a look at the email we sent you.

I hope that helps.
    I have replied to your email with all details. See below how rubbish Pingdom can be:

My site came back online on 14th at approx 6:00 AM. Both Host-tracker and Siteuptime reported uptime and it never went down after that. But look what Pingdom did. I have received over 280 Email Notifications of site being "Up/Down" on 14th Sep and 15th Sep. WHY?????
    The site never went offline when it came back. Why 130+ False Notifications?

Check out my attached screenshots. I have 20 Pages of notifications and the first being sent on 14th. Would you mind explaining this????

I get 2 emails for each event (Site down and site UP). Why is that so??

If anyone is having trouble downloading attached file, let me know. Its a zip file containing 6 images. (No Virus)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com