From WiredTree to LiquidWeb

I've been using WiredTree for a while now, I signed up for a year and right out of the gate I had problems and they refused to refund the $600 or so we paid for hosting. So we moved most of our important stuff some where else. Our renewal came up and I searched around for options, we have used KnownHost in the past and always try to use the quality services and not the cheapest.

Liquid Web has come up a lot, and out of the most popular ones, it is one of the only ones I have not tried. I ordered a 512MB VPS from LiquidWeb and took advantage of their free migration. One of the main reasons I was unhappy with WiredTree was performance, although their support is responsive, it is not helpful in terms of performance. It was always "everything is working fine". Well the moment I logged into Cpanel I noticed a significant improvement in response time, when the sites were loaded over and I tested them pre-DNS move, the different was amazing, at minimum twice as fast. They also did a great job on the migration saving me some time in having to do it.

If the experience continues like this, I would say ths was one of the best decisions I have made lately. I frequently had issues with mySQL performance, static pages, and even just logging into SSH with WiredTree. I am on a 15MBit connection, sites load fairly instantly in general.

Maybe there was a problem with the node on WiredTree? Did you asked WT to move you on different node?

Liquidweb is a great provider, we have a vps for many years and it's been very reliable. Knownhost also is a great provider (they reply and solve issues in 2 mins ), but they are not proactive.

Thanks for the review!
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    Maybe there was a problem with the node on WiredTree? Did you asked WT to move you on different node?

Liquidweb is a great provider, we have a vps for many years and it's been very reliable. Knownhost also is a great provider (they reply and solve issues in 2 mins ), but they are not proactive.

Thanks for the review!
    I didn't specially ask to be put on a different node, but I complained a lot and asked them to resolve it many times to the point I wanted to cancel. They of course wouldn't do that on a yearly contract. Their support although is fast to respond, were not very helpful in that it was just my issue not theirs. This isn't uncommon though for performance issues, it is a similar issue I had with KnownHost, but with KnownHost we had "blips" where it got really slow. My experience with WiredTree scarred me for life and it is not something I will ever try again.

Got a couple VPSs at liquid web myself --- I don't get the highest ratings when benchmarking the servers, however I will say that it's probably the best VPS i've ever been on as well --- and from what I can see, the way they run their VPSs prevent a problem child on your node from having much (if any) impact on your space... Atleast I have never had any issues over the past few years.

I'm with ya, they rock.
    ---
    Liquid Web VPS Customer for years --- Worth every extra penny spent.
    ---

Interesting to hear... I'm sure WHT pressure will warrant a pro-rated refund... Knownhost would be a good option... Also best to pay monthly in my opinion... you never know where a e-business will be 12 months from now...
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Quote Originally Posted by cspence View Post
    I didn't specially ask to be put on a different node, but I complained a lot and asked them to resolve it many times to the point I wanted to cancel. They of course wouldn't do that on a yearly contract. Their support although is fast to respond, were not very helpful in that it was just my issue not theirs. This isn't uncommon though for performance issues, it is a similar issue I had with KnownHost, but with KnownHost we had "blips" where it got really slow. My experience with WiredTree scarred me for life and it is not something I will ever try again.
    If you had this issue with KH, too - could it be maybe something in the code/application? And maybe this issue appear in your new VPS? Have you identified EXACTLY the issue?
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

7. Servint, KH are other options, though I prefer WT over servint.

Quote Originally Posted by 01globalnet View Post
    If you had this issue with KH, too - could it be maybe something in the code/application? And maybe this issue appear in your new VPS? Have you identified EXACTLY the issue?
    It wasn't anything specific with our code, our resources were minimal and it even happened when absolutely nothing was going on.

Would like to hear WT's side on this one.
    I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyarr View Post
    Would like to hear WT's side on this one.
    I can tell you right now, complete opposite of what I said. Now you have both sides!

Never pay for the whole year.=D.

WiredTree has very good & positive reviews. I have a VPS with them now apart from a dedicated with LiquidWeb. I can't complain about their support, fast response everytime.

However, the only downside and complain that I have is with their billing policy.

You have to inform them at least 7 days in advance before the next billing period if you want to cancel your server.

Or else...

Guess what..

You have to pay the FULL month of fee for the next billing period in order to cancel the server.

To me, this is quite disturbing. If I were to pay a pro-rated fee of 7 days as a penalty, that would be acceptable for me since they have that 7-day policy that in their SLA.

But to pay the FULL month fee (where the next month hasn't even started yet) just to get your server cancelled, i think this is something that WT seriously needs to review.

This happened to me at the end of last month. And this is the reason why I'm still having a VPS with them now. It would be silly for anyone to pay a month's fee in advance in order to cancel the service...

Other than that, WT has been very good.

Just this policy that I hope they will change.
    Last edited by citrine; 09-14-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by citrine View Post
    WiredTree has very good & positive reviews. I have a VPS with them now apart from a dedicated with LiquidWeb. I can't complain about their support, fast response everytime.

However, the only downside and complain that I have is with their billing policy.

You have to inform them at least 7 days in advance before the next billing period if you want to cancel your server.

Or else...

Guess what..

You have to pay the FULL month of fee for the next billing period in order to cancel the server.

To me, this is quite disturbing. If I were to pay a pro-rated fee of 7 days as a penalty, that would be acceptable for me since they have that 7-day policy that in their SLA.

But to pay the FULL month fee (where the next month hasn't even started yet) just to get your server cancelled, i think this is something that WT seriously needs to review.

This happened to me at the end of last month. And this is the reason why I'm still having a VPS with them now. It would be silly for anyone to pay a month's fee in advance in order to cancel the service...

Other than that, WT has been very good.

Just this policy that I hope they will change.
    Well they emailed me asking me to pay the next year in advance before they will accept the cancellation linking to legal disclaimers in their TOS. Then minutes later I get an email upon reviewing the account they will honor the cancellation so we can part ways. I suspect the review of the account was my WHT account, but at least I didn't have to deal with it because there was no way I would pay for another year of service I am not using because of problems I had with the service. We have spoke in the past about the service and that likely was a factor in his recant about 12 minutes later.

What is done is done, so far I am happy with Liquid Web and response time has been better than any other service we use or tried outside of our own data center.