Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    It is a bit silly, but we really only just need to inform, not be too rude.

So yeah, $20 for 'any' unmetered VPS is just silly.
    Not entirely. I had a VPS for about that that outperformed the advertised speeds and was in effect 10-12 mbit/s unmetered...

Of course, it didn't run Windows, and the reliability left something to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Guspaz View Post
    Not entirely. I had a VPS for about that that outperformed the advertised speeds and was in effect 10-12 mbit/s unmetered...

Of course, it didn't run Windows, and the reliability left something to be desired.
    In other words you get what you pay for, reason being, even at it's cheapest. @ say $4.00 per megabit, you were pushing 10-12Mbps which would be equal to costing the provider $40-$50/mo in bandwidth alone. Factor in equipment, power, support, possible maintenance. Basically general business overhead, it's not feasible for a reliable business partner.

The way I see it, web hosting is not just hosting it's a business partnership. Providing your client with reliable services for a long term relationship. A decent VPS will run you anywhere from $50-$100/Mo depending on your wants/needs from a reliable provider. You really do get what you pay for, there's no really reliable way around that.

Also just because something says they provide X amount of GB or you are only allowed 5Mbps per month does not mean it's not connected to a 100Mbps pipe, etc. For example I have 5Mbps on the 95th percentile, and go over if I need to, I can max out the pipe to 100Mbps no problem. CPC would be happy to bill me for it, lol

If you are looking for a more powerful and reliable alternative to the shared hosting environment, but are not ready to get your own dedicated server, then VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting is for you. It is less expensive than Dedicated Server hosting but has many of the same features including dedicated CPU, dedicated storage and dedicated memory.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    The way I see it, web hosting is not just hosting it's a business partnership. Providing your client with reliable services for a long term relationship. A decent VPS will run you anywhere from $50-$100/Mo depending on your wants/needs from a reliable provider. You really do get what you pay for, there's no really reliable way around that.
    Depending on your bandwidth needs, perhaps. But even the most reliable VPS providers often have plans starting at $20 or $30. And they also usually have more expensive plans that start costing $150-200 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by XTR3M3 View Post
    If you are looking for a more powerful and reliable alternative to the shared hosting environment, but are not ready to get your own dedicated server, then VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting is for you. It is less expensive than Dedicated Server hosting but has many of the same features including dedicated CPU, dedicated storage and dedicated memory.
    Do you even realize that you're in the VPS forum, not the dedicated server forum? The OP is looking for a VPS, and is obviously well aware of the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12