Thread: back up

back up

my host has just informed me that they will have a 1 HOUR DOWNTIME due to maintenance..

now is it possible that I i put the page on another server and create a back up by adding its nameservers to my domain so that when the first host is down, the domain will resolve to the nameservers of the back up host?

how can I make sure my site remains accessible during the downtime of the first host?

thanks..

Yes, possible, however how long until they have this downtime? Since DNS can take 24-72 hours to propogate?

Yup - propagation far worse than 1 hour downtime.

1 hour may seem like a long time but it's good that your host has given you prior warning.

not enough time..

You need some third-party nameservers then you just point the domain to your backup IP. The changeover is instantaneous (well almost).!

You need some third-party nameservers then you just point the domain to your backup IP. The changeover is instantaneous (well almost).!
    So if I were in this situation and I had this setup:

Name server #1 - main host
    Name server #2 - main host
    Name server #3 - backup host
    Name server #4 - backup host

I could immediately have a fail over of sorts? How would you go about changing from the main name servers to the backup name servers? Just make the backups the primaries? Would there not be the 24-72 hour wait in this instance?

Thanks,
    Mark

For one hour of downtime, there isn't much you can really do to keep the site up (at this point), and overall, it isn't really worth it to try to fangle together a backup solution. If the downtime were a couple of days, then yes. If you wanted to create a redundant system to handle this sort of thing, fine. Adding a couple of extra zone file nameserver entries won't cut it though, and for this situation, wouldn't work.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Forget about the host nameservers. Get third-party nameservers that also provide a free DNS service. There are quite a few around - just do a search. Then use these nameservers rather than your host's . This way you can change the pointers whenver you want and they take effect immediately because there is no need to change nameservers.

But for your particular situation of one hour downtime - that is nothing. You are going to get far longer downtimes than that.

I think that is not possible
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-17-2002 at 12:53 PM.

Originally posted by sima156
    I think that is not possible