Hi everybody!

I'm a highly motivated and skilled Linux System Administrator with more than 10 years of experience and with a very strong background in LAMP (Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP), server and web application security, performance tuning and PHP web application development. I'm also a great communicator, so I'm easy and fun to work with.

As a native German speaker with a strong command of English, I can efficiently communicate with you in both English and German. I can also provide technical support in both languages to you or your customers. I'm open-minded, enthusiastic and flexible, also thanks to living abroad for a couple of years in various countries.

I'm available for hire on a per-project and part-time basis. I'd like to help customers from all over the world to achieve their goals.

I offer the following services:

Linux Server Administration

I can cover a broad scope of administrative tasks, including the following:
  • System Updates and Package Installation
  • Kernel Updates
  • Server Application Configuration/Tweaking/Troubleshooting
  • Scripting: automate recurring tasks with Shell scripts and PHP scripts
  • Setup System Backups and System Monitoring
  • Compile and install a custom kernel for your system
  • Compile and install application packages from source

I can work with all the popular control panels like cPanel and DirectAdmin, but in general I prefer to work on the command line (SSH) because that's usually more efficient and offers a higher degree of flexibility and control. I master both Debian (Debian, Ubuntu) and Redhat (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, SuSE) Linux flavors.

Linux Server Hardening

Protecting a Linux server and keeping it secure is increasingly challenging and as attacks are on the rise, the importance of taking countermeasures increases as well. I've extensive experience with all the aspects of keeping you and your Linux servers covered. For example:
  • System Audits
  • Kernel and Application Hardening
  • Attack Mitigation and Forensics
  • IDS and IPS setup
  • Firewall installation and configuration
  • Implementing Off-site Backups

I can also get your system ready for a PCI scan/audit.

Linux Server Tuning

Consequently optimizing the software packages you're using ensures that you get the most out of your server hardware. Let me analyze the particular bottlenecks that slow your server down and let me tune your server accordingly. Tuning strategies include:
  • Configuration Tweaking
  • Resource Consumption Audits
  • Custom Compiles (kernel and/or applications)

Apache vs nginx, one of the hot topics at the moment: From my experience, replacing Apache with nginx can lead to a big performance increase and to a dramatic drop in resource consumption in many cases, without having to sacrifice functionality or robustness. I've extensive experience with both Apache and nginx, so I can give you valuable advice and help you implement the best solution for your particular web sites. In many cases, combining Apache and nginx is king.

Web Application Deployment, Hardening and Tuning

I'm well familiar with a broad range of popular web applications (for example WordPress, vBulletin, phpBB, Moodle, Dokeos, Joomla and Magento) and all the relevant tasks for optimizing, securing and maintaining those web applications as well as the server applications empowering them, like the web server (Apache, nginx, Litespeed, lighttpd), the code interpreter (PHP, Python) and the database engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL). In particular, I can assist you with the following tasks:
  • Installation, Configuration and Updates
  • Hardening: protect your web applications and your web server against attacks
  • Tuning: optimize the performance of your web applications and the underlying layers

Web Application Development

I've worked with PHP for many years, focusing on database-driven web applications. I'm currently looking for suitable PHP web application development projects to work on. My experience with PHP includes the following fields:
  • Customization of popular open source web applications (for example, custom plugins/modules for WordPress, Joomla and Dokeos)
  • PayPal/Moneybookers/2CO integration
  • Develop hand-tailored PHP web applications from scratch

Quite recently, I started to look into Python as an interesting alternative to PHP and into the Django framework. Also, I was able to gain some experience with Google Apps. That's all very exciting and I'm very interested in doing more work in this field.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I hope we can work together soon! Please PM or e-mail me if you're interested in working with me. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

PM: CoderJosh
Email: [email protected]