Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apaqdigital Rocks!

Guys, if you use Supermicro gear and you don't order your hardware from Chong, you are doing yourself a great disservice.

The man rocks, his gear is rock solid and he knows his product inside & out. It's not often I deal with a vendor who knows more about the product then I do (which is sad! DELL I'm looking at you!).

Turnaround is extremely fast as well. He pre-installs the servers with an OS to ensure everything works before sending it out and is willing to configure the box with IP's or a favorite distro if you want. Makes it easier on the guys in the colo facility when they just have to unpack, rack it up and turn it on and it works.

I've just expanded to a new location down south and Chong has been amazing. I just had to say thanks publicly.

http://www.apaqdigital.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    Guys, if you use Supermicro gear and you don't order your hardware from Chong, you are doing yourself a great disservice.

The man rocks, his gear is rock solid and he knows his product inside & out. It's not often I deal with a vendor who knows more about the product then I do (which is sad! DELL I'm looking at you!).

Turnaround is extremely fast as well. He pre-installs the servers with an OS to ensure everything works before sending it out and is willing to configure the box with IP's or a favorite distro if you want. Makes it easier on the guys in the colo facility when they just have to unpack, rack it up and turn it on and it works.

I've just expanded to a new location down south and Chong has been amazing. I just had to say thanks publicly.

http://www.apaqdigital.com/
    I can honestly say this replies here at WHT say he knows about hardware and very well. Thats how a hardware vendor should be. He knows what disk is better for any specific solution, and what motherboard matches this, or what server specs you need for a server, or file system or a virtulization platform. At least this is the impression. And thats excellent.

I have heard very good reviews about him. Is the hardware also top quality that you received? Or you shipped it directly to the DC?

I have also heard really good things about ApaqDigital, I sent a few emails and he responded to them quickly. Chong like you said also knows a heck alot about hardware and what works with what.

keep the good work up.

Yep, completely trusted vendor. Even when we had warranty returns, (failed hard drives etc), he simply sent new parts to the datacenter for us no questions asked, including a post paid bag to return the defective units. Recommended from here too 100%

We don't buy much gear these days, but when we did Chong always went above and beyond with great prices, great service & a consistent willingness to help us find the right hardware for our needs, even when it meant lower margins for him.

There was an occasion when I need a few boxes immediately and he put them together and personally delivered them to my house so I could get them to the DC the next morning.

Another time I thought I needed a part for a repair in the early morning hours on a weekend, and he was willing to meet me halfway to get me the part.

Now I'm not suggesting he is going to be able to do this for everyone, that's just not realistic - but it speaks to his character and his strong commitment to customer service that he was willing to help us out when we needed it, and we're an extremely small customer.

It just doesn't get any better. As I've said before, highly recommended.

Brandon

you can't go wrong with apaq

Ive met Chong a number of times and I agree with Wiresix, you cant go wrong with Apaq!
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Well it seems must of you are in Atlanta just like Apaq. How about clients from other states or even outside the US?

Are there any problems ordering internationally with him and send things to DC? I mean, you must trust this, as you probably never going to see the server, until you arrive to the DC someday.

Yes, a company I was part of ordered heaps of servers via him.

I/We are based in New Zealand/Australia - simply ordered servers, he installed os as per our requirements and ips etc and shipped to the dc for us.

Blood worth bottling Chong has

Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Ive met Chong a number of times and I agree with Wiresix, you cant go wrong with Apaq!
    Are you going to order from him for the Phoenix DC?

We've used Chong/apaqdigital since 2001. Every server he has built for us is still up and running. He is by far the most knowledgeable server builder I've ever met and also one of the nicest guys in the world.

I take his servers over all other vendors including Dell/HP/Sun.

He does ship out of state and overseas. He has many international clients. While our main data centers are in Atlanta we do ship his servers to our Las Vegas facility on a regular basis.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

The only time I've gone to another company for our East coast DC needs is when Chong is on vacation. If we didn't already have an excellent Supermicro builder on-site out west I'd be using him for both DC's.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

New Slogan: Chong the KING of Hardware!

A+ service, i also recommend him to everyone. fast shipping to caribbean for a project that required quick shipping.
    Last edited by TheServerExperts; 09-12-2009 at 03:52 PM.

I spent a good amount of time emailing Chong back and forth about server hardware. He was always prompt and patient with me. Since I wasn't spending the money myself, I had financial restraints I had to adhere to.. unfortunately another system builder that is also highly regarded here beat him out on both price and warranty. I hope this doesn't prove a mistake.

Hopefully in the future I CAN deal with Chong, though. He sure knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    you can't go wrong with apaq

You can't go wrong with Chong has more of a rhyme to it

+1 for excellent service and servers from Apaq though.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by PYDOT View Post
    I can honestly say this replies here at WHT say he knows about hardware and very well. Thats how a hardware vendor should be. He knows what disk is better for any specific solution, and what motherboard matches this, or what server specs you need for a server, or file system or a virtulization platform. At least this is the impression. And thats excellent.

I have heard very good reviews about him. Is the hardware also top quality that you received? Or you shipped it directly to the DC?
    We have had hardware shipped to our office and to the Noc directly. I can say first hand that ApaqDigital does all the little things right. Cabling done well, blowers mounted correctly, everything nicely labelled.

Quote Originally Posted by PYDOT View Post
    Well it seems must of you are in Atlanta just like Apaq. How about clients from other states or even outside the US?

Are there any problems ordering internationally with him and send things to DC? I mean, you must trust this, as you probably never going to see the server, until you arrive to the DC someday.
    I'm based on the west coast of Canada. I've had hardware shipped to my office here for use in our Vancouver & Montreal facilities and I've had hardware shipped to our US location directly. I'm positive that the quality is the same in all locations.

You can see the pride taken in the work. That's rare to find nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    I'm based on the west coast of Canada. I've had hardware shipped to my office here for use in our Vancouver & Montreal facilities and I've had hardware shipped to our US location directly. I'm positive that the quality is the same in all locations.

You can see the pride taken in the work. That's rare to find nowadays.
    So True!

It is nice to hear so much good stuff about Chong. I've never dealt with him and his company, but I've already forwarded this info to people in my company who is ordering the hardware.
    But I have couple of questions about - what do you like about Chong and his company:
    1. Price?
    2. That guy can put config instead of you?
    3. Speed of getting server ready and shipped?
    4. Other support?
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

1) Fair - obviously if you build it through newegg its cheaper. but you are paying for a local company to warranty and build it.
    2) What?
    3) Very quickly, it all depends what you order and what he has in stock. It always varys.
    4) They provide very good warranty for the hardware. Other then that you should have your own techs to provide support for the customers.
    Gary Simat
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected.
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago
    Total Server Solutions - Servers - US Based Support - Server Management

1) Price is great. I may be able to save $5 and $5 there on components (rare) but then I need to pay shipping and have all the different vendors & wait times to deal with.
    2) Chong knows what works with what. No more guessing or in house testing.
    3) Chong has taken orders at 7pm and had a server shipped out the next day for me on occasion! Typically I pay and the product is shipped within 24-48 hours.
    4) Never had to deal with his warranty services actually! Been ordering servers from him for a few years now.

For a deal that unfortunately never occurred (so I've sadly never gotten to enjoy any of Chong's servers), I emailed Apaqdigital a SuperMicro build and a request for quote on it - it had been researched fairly well by myself and another, and I like to think we know what we're doing but had never dealt with SM hardware before. He replied promptly, explained well two potential issues with our chosen configurations, and suggested multiple alternatives he knew to work from his experience building so many boxes.

If I ever again get the opportunity to order SuperMicro gear, you can be sure I will attempt to source it through Apaqdigital.

Quote Originally Posted by garysimat View Post
    1) Fair - obviously if you build it through newegg its cheaper. but you are paying for a local company to warranty and build it.
    2) What?
    3) Very quickly, it all depends what you order and what he has in stock. It always varys.
    4) They provide very good warranty for the hardware. Other then that you should have your own techs to provide support for the customers.
    The price Chong builds the machines at are cheaper if not the same then building it on your own at NewEgg. He gets bulk discounts on hardware , as well as you are not paying double shipping , you can get 2% off if you use wire transfer and I am sure once in awhile you can ask for $100 buck discount.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    The price Chong builds the machines at are cheaper if not the same then building it on your own at NewEgg. He gets bulk discounts on hardware , as well as you are not paying double shipping , you can get 2% off if you use wire transfer and I am sure once in awhile you can ask for $100 buck discount.
    Boy howdy, if that were the case for me I would have ordered from Apaq. The system I was sourcing was about 6900 from eWiz. (they had everything I wanted, versus NewEgg which had *MOST* of what I wanted)

Chong wanted about $8200 for same system. I'm not sure if it was some sort of communication problem or the parts I was interested in.

Ultimately I didn't build it myself but went with another supplier which came closer to the pricing if I were to do it myself.

As I stated before, Chong was excellent in his response time and knowledge. If his price had been near what some competitors were asking (for the exact same hardware) I would have done it. As I said earlier, it wasn't my money to spend and the budget I was given was below what Chong had quoted me.
    Last edited by Mindflux; 09-13-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Boy howdy, if that were the case for me I would have ordered from Apaq. The system I was sourcing was about 6900 from eWiz. (they had everything I wanted, versus NewEgg which had *MOST* of what I wanted)

Chong wanted about $8200 for same system. I'm not sure if it was some sort of communication problem or the parts I was interested in.

Ultimately I didn't build it myself but went with another supplier which came closer to the pricing if I were to do it myself.

As I stated before, Chong was excellent in his response time and knowledge. If his price had been near what some competitors were asking (for the exact same hardware) I would have done it. As I said earlier, it wasn't my money to spend and the budget I was given was below what Chong had quoted me.
    I am only telling you from a few builds I got a price quote from, so I am sure some other machines such as yours may be more and his margins may be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    I am only telling you from a few builds I got a price quote from, so I am sure some other machines such as yours may be more and his margins may be higher.

I don't mind paying some assembly fee and whatnot. I understand that any vendor needs to make money and cover their costs to support you for the next year (or however long their warranty is). But for me when you start getting 20% over NewEgg it's a *little* bit much to swallow.

Prices on the website don't look low. How do you compare prices for similar systems and systems from Dell, taking into account 30% preferred vendor discount?

Also, are their prices the lowest for supermicro in Atlanta?

Prices on the website don't look low. How do you compare prices for similar systems and systems from Dell, taking into account 30% preferred vendor discount?

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post

Why don't you email him and ask for a price quote . Dell you have to pay some pretty high prices on warrantys and such. There is also a big lead time on dells generally. Also there is something to be said about supermicro vs dell... If your decision is solely based on cost then the answer is obviously just build your own as if you know what your doing you can engineer a config that works for what you want to do way below others costs.
    Gary Simat
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected.
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago
    Total Server Solutions - Servers - US Based Support - Server Management

yep, the cost is important

Quote Originally Posted by garysimat View Post
    Why don't you email him and ask for a price quote . Dell you have to pay some pretty high prices on warrantys and such. There is also a big lead time on dells generally. Also there is something to be said about supermicro vs dell... If your decision is solely based on cost then the answer is obviously just build your own as if you know what your doing you can engineer a config that works for what you want to do way below others costs.
    yep, the cost is important, builders, by getting volume discount suppose to be able to build systems which will be very close in price to DIY systems. If price difference is too high - something you are paying for that you don't have too. And if it is for consulting - I can understand that, someone may need that, but the rest suppose to have an option of coming up with a config by themselves and pay for the building the system only (on the top of the price of discounted parts).

Also, convenience is important too, but not when you are overpaying for that. BTW nothing against Chong, just my opinion about computer builders unlike other posts "I know it all "

I have got a bunch of different quotes for multiple machines and all have been pretty much the price it would be to buy all parts from newegg and pay shipping/tax.

I have ordered from Chong in the past and been nothing but pleased. Great communication, good prices. Personally for me Apaq is hard to beat.

John
    Great Plains Web Hosting
    Providing Small Business Solutions
    Hosting For Your Small Business

I have asked to Chong for some quotations for servers, prices are perfect for the level and quality of hardware they provide.

I'm going ahead with Apaq =)

Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Taba-KodoHost View Post
    I have asked to Chong for some quotations for servers, prices are perfect for the level and quality of hardware they provide.

I'm going ahead with Apaq =)
    Very good! Have you tried to compare prices to other vendors? Or you were just happy to get quotations from Chong?

And if you did, were those prices higher or lower?

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    Very good! Have you tried to compare prices to other vendors? Or you were just happy to get quotations from Chong?
    And if you did, were those prices higher or lower? Can you name a few?

tulix, do you prefer to deal with a massive global organisation? Although I'm sure your account manager at Dell will tell you that you're the most important Dell customer that they have, you're a small fish in a big ocean where sonar won't be heard very far up the chain...

Apaq's rates are competitive and you get the warranty, you get the familiarity with a well constructe rackmount server (anyone can build a rackmount, I've done my fair share), but installing the correct cooling configuration, using custom/correct length cables then routing them appropriately, having the intricate knowledge that Chong has of which hardware works well with each other is well worth any slight price variation.

With that said if you're happy with Dell then why change? Put the money you save towards a site redesign
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    tulix, do you prefer to deal with a massive global organisation? Although I'm sure your account manager at Dell will tell you that you're the most important Dell customer that they have, you're a small fish in a big ocean where sonar won't be heard very far up the chain...

Apaq's rates are competitive and you get the warranty, you get the familiarity with a well constructe rackmount server (anyone can build a rackmount, I've done my fair share), but installing the correct cooling configuration, using custom/correct length cables then routing them appropriately, having the intricate knowledge that Chong has of which hardware works well with each other is well worth any slight price variation.

With that said if you're happy with Dell then why change? Put the money you save towards a site redesign
    Yea can't agree more, seems everything tulix posts is negative or questioning them.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post

OK, after your post I've changed my mind I'll forget about Dell server (which I was not buying anyway) and try to invest money in my website

And I like Chong and his company !!! Your reasoning are absolutely sufficient for me, like "I've bought bunch of stuff from him" or "correct cables" - that is more than enough. Who cares about prices - we can afford them !!!

Seriously, it is very good that you like the company. I am sure that company is good, at least good enough that you've posted about them here.

When I've looked at the website - prices looked little bit high for me (actually we are buying supermicros not Dells) - so why I've started asking questions and instead of answers I've got defensive messages like "look at your website". Should I answer "grow up and get out of your cage"?

No, I think it is important to be constructive and without offending anybody to find the truth or just to be a good community.

I hope I didn't offend anybody here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast