Sacramento, CA

Hyper-V host memory handling

Anyone else have any experience with Hyper-V and how much overhead memory the host OS takes?

Was getting ready to migrate over to Hyper-V R2 but this afternoon I had a host machine just decide to reboot on me. Have one system with 8gb RAM and 6.5gb assigned out to VMs (SCVMM 2008 R2, KMS/WSUS, AD controller/DNS, and some misc stuff). All non-production so far, but had it all ready. The host is just Server Core 2008 R2 + Broadcom NIC drivers (teaming/tagging) + Dell OpenManage.

This morning the monitoring started going off that the system had <20mb physical ram free, but hadn't looked at it right away. Little while later, the system just reboots itself. The event log only shows a series of errors saying "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation" but the disk checks out just fine.

This has me a little shaky about Hyper-V, since I didn't think it would use so much overhead and kind of scary when it runs out of memory.

Anyone else seen this? Does it need more overhead? Fluke?
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs |

USA, UK, Singapore
    We haven't experienced any such issue with any of our Hyper-V hosts. From the error it appears that there was some issue with Hard drive during paging operation. Did you experience this on multiple hosts or is it a single host server where you are facing this issue? To be on safer side, we always keep around 1.5 - 2 GB RAM free for host systems.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 8 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed Windows & Linux Virtual Machines (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's