Thread: VPS in the UK?

VPS in the UK?

Currently using Servint.net and have been for several years, but when people do a googlesearch and request "UK only" we have a site that disappears from the results, and various sources a colleague has found have suggested that the physical server location can make a difference here.

So my main question, if there are any UK users here, what UK-based VPS hosts can anyone recommend to me?

thanks very much

Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 09-12-2009 at 05:32 AM.

are you unable to use the www.google.co.uk site?

you need to select it manualy if you are in a diffrent location, and search from there.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

I second eUKHost, they are probably the best UK VPS provider that I have worked with (and its quite a lot). Dont currently use them as we dont use vps's anymore, but they are good
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    are you unable to use the www.google.co.uk site?

you need to select it manualy if you are in a diffrent location, and search from there.
    Yes, it's while using the UK site, if i don't select 'pages from the uk' and just leave it on "the web" then our site is currently number 2 in the results. If i do select "pages from the uk" and use the same search term, the site doesnt appear in the first 10 pages of results. This is a separate issue that i should probably start up a separate thread for to see if anyone can make any suggestions, but our SEO person has done a lot of research and suggests that physical location of the server and even reputation of the service provider can make a difference here.

Thank you for all the other suggestions so far. I will start looking into these.

The way to fix this isn't to get a server within the UK but to use the google webmaster tools and have your site target the UK. By default the sites with the countries TLD target that area but .com's target the USA by default.

Yes, but that will only work with Google (and other engines that provide such functionality). To be absolutely sure you're targeting UK users, it's always best to get a UK IP address.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoware View Post
    Yes, but that will only work with Google (and other engines that provide such functionality). To be absolutely sure you're targeting UK users, it's always best to get a UK IP address.
    i agree, if you are targeting UK users then your best to run on a UK IP address, it really does make a difference, plus it will load faster for UK clients as they are connecting to a server in the UK
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I recommend http://ifusehosting.com/ for UK VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    The way to fix this isn't to get a server within the UK but to use the google webmaster tools and have your site target the UK. By default the sites with the countries TLD target that area but .com's target the USA by default.
    We have already set that up using webmaster tools and google analytics, and have set the site target as UK within the tools. This domain is a .org, we used to have a .co.uk but recently migrated to the .org (it is the new .org domain that we now have in webmaster tools etc).

ifusehosting is a good one, I think it's iFusehosting.com

Discounting booboos with their recent migration, I've had a fantastic experience with RapidSwitch.
    I used to run the oldest commercial Mumble host.

Ive never used them but as long as unmanaged is ok, I'd definitely go for http://vds.poundhost.com/

Reasons:
    Part of bluesqaure group so effectively own their own datacenter
    Hyper-V cluster with live migration so if a hardware node goes down, the VPS is migrated to another node immediately
    Ultra fast SAN with 15k SAS drives in RAID-10
    Cheap and easily configurable