* Toronto Colocation

What do you guys suggest as the best facility in Toronto, Ontario ? How is 151 front street ? How about Level 3 Toronto or Peer 1 Toronto ? I am really looking for a prime data center in Toronto.

Thoughts ?

I'm interested in this as well. I've been into contact with a few providers and the best so far has been Peer1 who are on Front street, they've been the best so far at responding to sales enquiries.

Quote Originally Posted by DomainTalkForums View Post
    I'm interested in this as well. I've been into contact with a few providers and the best so far has been Peer1 who are on Front street, they've been the best so far at responding to sales enquiries.
    Heh, acording to datacentermap there are 12 dcs in Toronto , although Peer1 does really stick out.

PriorityColo are a good bet. I saw their setup in 151 front a few years back.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

What type of usage? Any network provider preferred? Peer1 (Their DC at 151 Front) has had a fair bit of trouble lately (UPS fire most recently). You can't really go wrong with most providers at 151 front. Priority Colo is there and are usually recommended, Moxie Colo as well I believe. If you are looking for carrier neutral, Switch & Data @ 151 front have excellent facilities.
    ~

Peer1 is top notch despite the recent fire issue, also Neutral Data, TeleHouse, PriorityColo run tight ships.

Quote Originally Posted by MooreAdmin View Post
    Peer1 is top notch despite the recent fire issue, also Neutral Data, TeleHouse, PriorityColo run tight ships.
    Forgot about Neutral Data, their facilities are quite nice.
    ~

We are at Switch & Data in 151 and our own Data Center in Mississauga..

I recommend all the above except Telehouse.. Have horror stories from when with them 3yrs before moving to Switch and Data
    Moxie Colo Inc Has been Sold to Secure Access Colo known on WHT as SecureDataCenters
    New ownership better Service DC1 100% Sold out DC2 Due online July 2010

Hi guys, hows it goin...

I see a lotta this and that here... 2 cents from everybody and stuff which is cool! but over regarding 151 front st. is there one or two in there which are probably the best/or have an edge outta the 12+ at the moment? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wtfjeffy View Post
    Hi guys, hows it goin...

I see a lotta this and that here... 2 cents from everybody and stuff which is cool! but over regarding 151 front st. is there one or two in there which are probably the best/or have an edge outta the 12+ at the moment? thanks!
    It depends what you are looking for as I stated earlier. Are you bringing in your own providers? Wanting an already blended mix from a company or wanting a specific bandwidth provider? How much bandwidth is needed? Any power density requirements?
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by BroadlineTim View Post
    It depends what you are looking for as I stated earlier. Are you bringing in your own providers? Wanting an already blended mix from a company or wanting a specific bandwidth provider? How much bandwidth is needed? Any power density requirements?
    Hello there Tim, thanks for the quick reply! We're basically looking to plop in a 1u or two 1u's, on a 100mb line at about 2500gb per month allowance. Just trying to see what its gonna cost us for a 1+ year deal to plop our stuff in Toronto vs. the current Chicago setup we have now. Thanks in advance...

Hello there Tim, thanks for the quick reply! We're basically looking to plop in a 1u or two 1u's, on a 100mb line at about 2500gb per month allowance. Just trying to see what its gonna cost us for a 1+ year deal to plop our stuff in Toronto vs. the current Chicago setup we have now. Thanks in advance...
    Ah ok, you would be better off with someone like Priority Colo, Moxie Colo, etc. Someone that could provide you with a good blended mix since you probably won't need enough bandwidth to make buying it directly affordable.
    ~

lol yeah! pretty much... and fair enough! thank you very much for your time and info! its greatly appareciated x100!

jeffy
    torontowtf.com

Just a fyi

We currently do not offer single u colo within 151 Just Cages and Cabinets

Would have to be our Mississauga Data Center.
    Moxie Colo Inc Has been Sold to Secure Access Colo known on WHT as SecureDataCenters

Quote Originally Posted by MoxieColo View Post
    Just a fyi

We currently do not offer single u colo within 151 Just Cages and Cabinets

Would have to be our Mississauga Data Center.

lol hi! I just called and was talking to your john the night time dude? lol... i'm interested in missi then! i'll send you a pm now! thanks!

Lol the Night guy

John is our Operations Manager he is on-site all hours of day

Poor Guy lives and breath's Data Centers

I highly recommend Carat Networks (http://caratnetworks.com). Great service.
    Michael G ★ Sharktech - DDOS Protected Servers ★ 20 years in business
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers ★ Public and Private Cloud ★ Colocation ★ VPS ★ DDOS Protection ★ IP Transit
    Amsterdam ★ Chicago ★ Denver ★ Los Angeles

lol yeah! pretty much... and fair enough! thank you very much for your time and info! its greatly appareciated x100!

jeffy
    torontowtf.com
    Make sure when you colo, to do some research, and investigate the companies in question before sending out your hardware. Find out if their facilities are what they claim them to be, get an actual tour prior to your installation date (or at the very least, publically available tour pictures, etc.).

While this shouldn't need to be said, unfortunately its something a lot of people just forget/neglect to do, and as with any industry, the hosting industry has its share of shady players. Discrepancies between the published literature/specs, and the facilities, are typically one of the easiest, and earliest signs of problems to come.

Does anyone have any experience with Q9?

We are looking for an alternate/backup colo. We are currently with Peer1.

I also have a tour booked with Primus at 10 Bay St. Momentum also has a datacenter at laird and eglinton.

Quote Originally Posted by tdote30 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Q9?

We are looking for an alternate/backup colo. We are currently with Peer1.

I also have a tour booked with Primus at 10 Bay St. Momentum also has a datacenter at laird and eglinton.
    Q9 deals in a lot of government and large corporate contracts, so expect to pay a hefty premium. My last experience with them was several years ago, but it was extremely high quality facilities, network and support. My last quote from them for 1u colo with <1mbit was $400+, unsure if thats changed in the mean time.

Let us know of your experience with them if you get a chance, curious if anything has changed.
    Last edited by MooreAdmin; 09-23-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by MooreAdmin View Post
    Q9 deals in a lot of government and large corporate contracts, so expect to pay a hefty premium. My last experience with them was several years ago, but it was extremely high quality facilities, network and support. My last quote from them for 1u colo with <1mbit was $400+, unsure if thats changed in the mean time.

Let us know of your experience with them if you get a chance, curious if anything has changed.
    haa yea sure sounds like it. quote from there site: Hardened perimeter (guard stations, reinforced walls, anti-hostage entrances)

Anyone explain what a anti-hostate entrance is ?

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    haa yea sure sounds like it. quote from there site: Hardened perimeter (guard stations, reinforced walls, anti-hostage entrances)

Anyone explain what a anti-hostate entrance is ?
    The Q9 facility in the downtown core has a pretty advanced man-trap. It's only big enough for one person (I could see a very overweight person having issues in it), and it's a real locking type (basically its a reinforced revolving door thats part computer controlled).

Q9's facilities are *very* impressive, their security is top notch, their network/peering is very good, and their operational procedures, etc. are all well known to be top notch.

Having said that, If you can afford, and need the premium, I doubt theres anyone who knows of 'em who wouldn't recommend. Otherwise, your finances will likely tell you to avoid (as the premium, as many have mentioned, is significant generally speaking).
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

I just got back from a Q9 tour, it was really impressive. If they are within a $2-3k premium over our current provider we will be making the switch.

We're talking $7-10k monthly hosting, depending on the premium which from our intial estimates doesn't sound too bad for the improvements we will be getting. Our clients are starting to ask for secuirty features even 151 doesn't measure upto.

But i'm fairly new to this, most of my expereience has been in our current co-lo, so i'm learning alot during my current research.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    The Q9 facility in the downtown core has a pretty advanced man-trap. It's only big enough for one person (I could see a very overweight person having issues in it), and it's a real locking type (basically its a reinforced revolving door thats part computer controlled).

Q9's facilities are *very* impressive, their security is top notch, their network/peering is very good, and their operational procedures, etc. are all well known to be top notch.
    It is slightly different now. Each person is weighed and finger printed + their access card.

Fingerprint + Access Card and weight gets them into the man trap.
    Finger and weight lets them out of the man trap.