Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation How long can you live without internet?

How long can you live without the internet? Is there a point where you just about go insane without the internet?
    Last edited by Jacob Wall; 09-10-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Jacob Wall

3 weeks. I can probably live longer without it.

2 seconds.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

1-2 days.

I think it really all depends what i'm doing... If i'm on a cruise/vacation I can go a long time.
    Gary Simat
    Total Server Solutions - Bare Metal - Private Cloud - Managed Infrastructure - Colocation - US Based Support
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Los Angeles - Seattle - Chicago - Weehawken - New York City - Vancouver - Toronto - London - Amsterdam - Tokyo - Sydney

2-3 weeks tops i think, managed to do 2 weeks last month on vacation wasnt an easy task.

I can go an extremely long time. Maybe a couple of months once I have a trusted person handling tings
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

I lived 3 weeks without the Internet this year. I doubt I could live without the Internet for 2 months.

I can go the other extreme. My wife and I moved to Starkville, MS back at the end of 2002. We left Austin, Tx and left T1 access, which was common in the area at the time.

When we arrived in MS, we were met with 28.8 as the best internet access that we could receive off campus.

I lasted 2 days... and then cancelled service for almost a year until finally the local cable company there caught up with the 21 century.

It was a very horrible experience, but realized that I could do without the internet if that was the best they had to offer. It actually made me realize how much of a part the internet played in our lives at the time, but then gave me a new perspective of how much we really did not need the internet.
    Mike

Me? probably 8 hours.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

A weekend (48 hours) would be my max.

After that I'd bring my laptop to the local hippy coffee shop, buy some coffee & pastries, use their WiFi
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    I can go the other extreme. My wife and I moved to Starkville, MS back at the end of 2002. We left Austin, Tx and left T1 access, which was common in the area at the time.

When we arrived in MS, we were met with 28.8 as the best internet access that we could receive off campus.

I lasted 2 days... and then cancelled service for almost a year until finally the local cable company there caught up with the 21 century.

It was a very horrible experience, but realized that I could do without the internet if that was the best they had to offer. It actually made me realize how much of a part the internet played in our lives at the time, but then gave me a new perspective of how much we really did not need the internet.
    I will respect you from now on
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

Seven minutes, I've timed it.

Blackberry flashes and beeps, I'm right back on. Laptop is on 24/7 and ready to go if needed.

I can live without internet for however long.

No, but seriously it's not too bad. Everyone should disconnect their computers, turn off the phone, etc. and just go out and have fun once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I can live without internet for however long.

No, but seriously it's not too bad. Everyone should disconnect their computers, turn off the phone, etc. and just go out and have fun once in awhile.
    Must be nice to have people working with/for you.

Someday it will be nice to do such things. Until then, 16 hour work days will do.

I think after about a month the data center would start shutting down my servers for various reasons. After a couple of weeks of that they'll just turn them all off. Chargebacks would start rolling in, merchant account canceled quickly after that. Booted out of my house probably within 6-8 months. As I'm moving, a particularly stalkative former customer finds me in the driveway and shoots me.

So long story short - probably 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Me? probably 8 hours.
    Is that when you're sleeping

Well of course we wouldn't die without the internet. It may be a bit inconvenient and a lot of people would lose their jobs and have to work and burger king or something. Just imagine, before internet we had bulletin board systems and before that, we had like cavemen or something....

The world as we know it would not function without it. It is a living part of our world, we went from 2~ billion people back in the fifties to about 7~ billion people now. We need connectivity to support our habits, however short lived they may be.

Some people rely on it more than others, and some people are more addicted. *cough* me *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    . . . It actually made me realize how much of a part the internet played in our lives at the time, but then gave me a new perspective of how much we really did not need the internet.
    Blasphemy blasphemy!! Wash your mouth and say 3 Hail Al Gores now.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

The internet is a great tool and I use it for business so it's only really when I'm on vacation that I don't need to use it. Even then I need to check up on things from time to time.

Probably no more than 5 minutes. Wow I am very social ain't I
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I personally don't believe that I even need the internet. As long as I have my phone I'm good to go
    Limestone Networks - Dedicated Server Hosting
    Premium Network - 24/7/365 Support - Dual Intel Xeon Servers Now Available
    Dallas Datacenter - Fully Routed Backend Network
    http://www.limestonenetworks.com 1-877-586-0555

Its depends, but nowadays we are so much addicted and habited to it that it might be panicking to live without it for while.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

A series of tubes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast