Alternative to DedicatedNOW with FFmpeg working?

I really don't want to move from DedicatedNOW, as it has cost me a bomb in setting everything up on the server the way I want it. It would involve way too much work moving everything to a new host. I have a game server set up for one, which I setup for my brother. Of course I play it sometimes too, lol.

Anyway, it would be too much work moving my sites to another host. But when a company like DedicatedNOW that specifically deals with dedicated hosting cannot even get the "Video Thumbnail Preview" feature to work that comes with the Social Media Video Sharing Script from MediaScripts.com to work on my server and then try to charge me for every attempt they try to install it, is definitely one to avoid. I have been quite happy with their service for the past few months or so, until now.

I have recommended them a lot on the mediascripts.com forum in the past, but not anymore. Not unless they can fix the problem I'm getting with FFmpeg, which any other host could fix in minutes.

Basically, I first asked for the FFmpeg tools to be installed 25th April, 2009 and all seemed ok to me i.e when members uploaded music the time was being extracted from the mp3 correctly and displaying on website under the "Runtime:" section properly. As this started to work after they installed all the FFmpeg tools I just assumed that FFmpeg and whatever other needed tools were needed to run a Video Sharing Script had been installed correctly. On the 31st August, 2009 I wanted to start using "Video Thumbnail Preview", but for some reason the "Video Thumbnail Preview" feature of the script wasn't working. It turns out that they never installed the tools correctly the first time round on 25th April, 2009.

To top it of, they charged me for the FFmpeg tools to be re-installed, plus charged me again for it to be uninstalled so Nathan (Developer of Social Media script) could attempt to install the tools from scratch. Nathan couldn't get them to work properly though because FFmpeg had already been installed incorrectly and/or a server problem exists? Well there must be a server problem because I know Nathan knows what he is doing as he has installed FFmpeg tools on other customers servers many times before without any problems whatsoever. If he says the script is fine and the server just isn't having any of it then that's good enough for me.

I'm on my 59th Support Ticket reply with DedicatedNOW now and I still don't have FFmpeg tools working correctly.

There must be something wrong with the server that they don't about or something. Either that or they just like charging me unnecessary admin time. I mean... geez.. I could pay them 1k and they still would charge me admin time to try and fix something that should only take minutes to do, NOT weeks!

DedicatedNOW kept saying it was a problem with the script. So then why does the "video Thumbnail Preview" feature work properly at wejew.com then... a site that is on a dedicated server from DedicatedNOW and is also using the exact same script as me? The only difference is wejew.com is using the XEON 5405 server from (hope he don't mind me saying this )

http://www.dedicatednow.com/?managed-servers=

where as I am using the Intel Atom 330 from

http://www.dedicatednow.com/?managed-servers=

but I doubt being on the server that I'm on is the reason for FFmpeg not working correctly. All servers from
    http://www.dedicatednow.com/?managed-servers= should support all FFmpeg features such as "Video Thumbnail Generation / Preview" stuff.

I am sick of changing hosts now.

Over the years as my sites have got more traffi / I have had to add more stuff etc I've gone from streamline.net to bluehost.com then to hostmonster.com (yes I now know they are the same company ) then JaguarPC.com and now DedicatedNOW the host I'm using now.

Streamline.net resctricted Upload Max Filesize limit to something daft like 64MB
    Bluehost.com was forever going down
    Within 2 Weeks of being with Hostmonster the server was hit by ddos attacks which messed up shoutcast stats for me radio site due to fsock.open not working etc.
    JaguarPC.com I had nothing but problems with also.

Now I'm getting this FFmpeg nonsense with DedicatedNOW

I have already a problem with DedicatedNOW a month ago to do with a problem with the game server which I let slip. I'm not doing it again though.

I need the same as what I have with DedicatedNOW

2GB Ram
    2000GB Bandwidth (Premium)
    1x 250GB HDD
    50GB r1soft backup (currently using 37.5GB)
    Linux Server
    cPanel 11.24.5-R38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.3 i686 standard on server
    Fully Managed Server

All for $174 per month

<< snipped >>

Please heelp!?!?! Where's the good hosts at??
    Last edited by net; 09-10-2009 at 11:19 PM.

These look promising http://www.serverbeach.com/servers/

If anyone has any others to recommend or anything let us know!

Forum rules dont allow any host to self advertise, you should check the dedicated server offer's section.

Are your server managed? Are such specific install listed as included into management plan ? How much they charge you ?

Our customer experience same problem with ffmpeg. He just set it within minutes using tutorials from somewhere and was very happy. Then he decide upgrade his server and move everything to new server and again install ffmpeg. And it was not installed not correct somehow. He did many attempts to get it to work but without any luck. After all he decide ask from us help for fee (we don't offer full management yet) and we are was glad to help him and now everything just fine with his ffmpeg installation.
    But you should understand that sometimes software can conflict with other software and sometime it is very hard or even impossible get it to work without server reinstall.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

(FFMPEG/Insert Popular Youtube Clone site here) isn't really that complicated to install if you do it properly the first time. I've personally fixed more than a few botched installs in the last little while. There are several excellent guides out there to do it yourself and pretty much will work every time if you follow the instructions.

Most common problems I've seen are people not installing flvtool2 and php-ffmpeg properly and in the correct order. I would inquire to your new host (if you decide to leave) if they already know how to install it for you, I know there are plenty of them that advertise it as well, take a look in the offers section.
    ~

Ok then, so no host are allowed to self advertise. Fine. I would just like to know why DedicatedNOW cannot get FFmpeg working properly then?

Btw I'm actually using 300GB (Premium Bandwidth) out of 2000GB (Premium Bandwidth) so probably don't even need 2000GB (Premium Bandwidth). 1000GB would probably be more than enough. I would need to be able to upgrade bandwidth though.

I think it must be a problem with DedicatedNOW server OR they are not installing the needed tools properly. Either way, I shouldn't be being charged all this admin time. I can't belive that after a week I still don't have FFmpeg working properly.

At the moment my Support Ticket with DedicatedNOW is "On Hold" and has been for nearly 8 hours now.

Not good, not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rustelekom View Post
    Are your server managed? Are such specific install listed as included into management plan ? How much they charge you ?
    I have the Intel Atom 330 1.60GHz which is Fully Managed

See here http://www.dedicatednow.com/?managed-servers=

I first asked the tools to be installed 25th April 2009

I said:

Hi,

Please can you install the following modules

ame: /usr/bin/lame
    ffmpeg: /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
    mplayer: /usr/local/bin/mplayer
    mencoder: /usr/local/bin/mencoder
    flvtool2: /usr/bin/flvtool2

I got

Hello,

Your service does not include any Admin time needed to resolve this issue. If you wish, you may purchase Admin time ($80/hour minimum of 30 minutes and billed in 15 minute increments after that) by filling out the form below.

These fees are standard and does NOT include any discounts or Admin time you currently have (ManagedNOW Plans) which will be handled by billing once this ticket is routed to them after the work has been completed. For any hardware issues (such as failing hard drives and such) or core OS issues (as outlined under MNOW Level 1 on our forums) the Admin fee will not apply.

Please provide the following information in order for us to proceed.

Full name on this account: ?
    Ubersmith/Billing Client ID: ?
    Last four digits of your CC or payment method: ?
    Server name: ?
    Main IP: ?
    Max Amount of Admin time? 30 minutes
    That you agree to these charges: ?

Regards,

Tom Pawlowski
    Linux System Administrator
    Fortress ITX
    I reply back with:

will this

Add ManagedNOW Stage 3 Server Management $50.00 "

from here https://manage.dedicatednow.com/orde...type=dedicated

cover it? If so i will just have that instead... ?"

I got

Hi,

Definitely, MNOW 3 would cover the program installation and the other issues. I would suggest buying a management plan at least until you have everything set up the way you'd like, as admin time fees rack up pretty quickly. The full description of the plan can be found here:

https://tracker.fortressitx.com/inde...barticleid=282

Let me know if you want to purchase that, I'll address the support issues immediately and have billing handle the details on Monday.

Regards,

Tom Pawlowski
    Linux System Administrator
    Fortress ITX
    I reply back with:

Hi Tom,

Ok then. Sounds like that is the best way to go about it. Thanks for the tip.

I accept to have MNOW3 then.

Thanks,

Hi ,

Installed: ffmpeg.i386 0:0.4.9-0.9.20070530.el5.rf ffmpeg-devel.i386 0:0.4.9-0.9.20070530.el5.rf flvtool2.noarch 0:1.0.6-1.el5.rf lame.i386 0:3.98.2-1.el5.rf mencoder.i386 0:1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf mplayer.i386 0:1.0-0.40.rc1try2.el5.rf
    Ticket resolved same day.

Aug 31 2009 is when I noticed the "Video Thumbnail Preview" feature wasn't working and asked them to correct it. Ever since they just want to keep charing me admin time (because I'm no longer on a manged plan, instead I have a Fully Managed server ). Even when I gave up and said I would pay the admin time they still couldn't install the tools correctly. And I shouldn't have had to pay admin time anyway as I paid for the FFmpeg tools to be installed correctly the first time round (when I was on a manged plan and not under a Fully Managed server.)

It's now Septmeber 11th and I still don't have the "Video Thumbnail Preview" feature working

Well, if they can't solve it for you, then maybe you can just find someone who can install/fix it for you instead of moving hosting to and fro? since, I believe you are happy with them except that they can't fix the ffmpeg?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having, and do wish that you had brought it to Management's attention sooner. As you you have had difficulty with this script, I've alerted our admins and they will work on the issue until it has been resolved - there will be no cost for the resolution of the problem. If you have any problems that are not resolved to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact me at any time: sales[at]dedicatednow.com / AIM: fortressjosh. Thank you again for your patience and patronage.
    Last edited by webhostingmadness; 09-10-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added contacts
    Josh Ewin, Managing Editor
    Web Hosting Madness

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    ..I believe you are happy with them except that they can't fix the ffmpeg?
    Pretty much yes.

Quote Originally Posted by fortressjosh View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having, and do wish that you had brought it to Management's attention sooner. As you you have had difficulty with this script, I've alerted our admins and they will work on the issue until it has been resolved - there will be no cost for the resolution of the problem. If you have any problems that are not resolved to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact me at any time: sales[at]dedicatednow.com / AIM: fortressjosh. Thank you again for your patience and patronage.
    I did

Hello,

Would you want us to have our management department look into this for you ? They will be available Tuesday.

Thank you

Russell W
    Unix Technical Support
    I reply back with:

Yes that would be a good idea.

I got reply with:

Unfortunately, we do not support third parties software. Any work (even if you paid for installation already) requires admin time to be charged.
    In ticket reply now

Hello

We apologize for the response delay.

There is an issue with the libraries and we are working on this.

We will update you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.
    I hope it gets sorted properly.

Just an update to say that DedicatedNOW have now got FFmpeg working for me so that I can use Background Conversion, Video Thumbnail Preview and FLV Conversion.

I have also got FLV Conversion and Video Thumbnail Preview working for Mencoder too. For some reason Background Conversion is not though. Anyone know what would cause background conversion not to work with Mencoder?

Strange how Background Conversion works with FFmpeg but not Mencoder??
    Last edited by C Powell; 09-20-2009 at 07:37 AM.