Question about celeron 1.7 processor

I read that the celeron 1.7 processor only has 125 cache on the cpu and therefore performed very bad with different types off games. I consider using it for a server - not for games. Would it be ok for that purpose? - I'm in the hosting business.

Thanks
    John

Depends upon what you are hosting. How busy is your server? If you are hosting lots of static sites, shouldn't matter much.

Many of the older PIIIs had low cache.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

Not so busy. All of my current clients are low resource incentive but with my new offerings I expects to attract new types of clients that will probably use more resources. Not games and all that stuff though. - and I'm using linux, not windows.

John

John,

The Celeron 1.7 should be plenty if its a Linux box. In Linux I don't see much of a difference between our P4 machines and Celeron machines .. I am sure if I ran heavy benchmark tests I would see a slight diff. but I doubt you will run into probs.
    James R. Clark II

Thank you very much for you help

John

Similar related question from a newbie

I am planning to get a rackshack $99 celeron server. My total requirement will be 300GB-350GB data transfer per month.

Can a celeron CPU serve that kind of bandwidth without any problem?

I will host mostly the sites with static HTML pages or adult sites with static pics. (no video streaming).

I will host mostly the sites with static HTML pages or adult sites with static pics. (no video streaming).
    I'll be happy to comment, but first I would need to have a look at some of these files (static pics) to see hopw much cpu they would need.

(joke)
    Callum Henderson,
    iKiwi.net is now HiStyle.biz, bigger and better!

nogi, celeron 1.7 ghz would be fine for hosting, just make sure you add plenty of RAM if you're going to host sites with high database usage.

Anyway, if the price is same, get a P3 instead.

Is a celeron 1.7 noticably faster than a celeron 1.3?
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

I have a 1.7ghz celeron running FreeBSD. FreeBSD has a nice benchmarking tool where you can compare your server to others. Mine did about the same throughout a series of tests as a P3 1ghz. Pretty darn good in my opion as a Celeron 1.7ghz is a lot cheaper to build than a P3 1ghz. Celeron 1.7s go for about $60, while a P3 1ghz goes for around $100 (according to pricewatch).

The 1.7 will be fine. Just don't forget about the AMD chips--they are fine for web serving and prices are usually cheaper than Intel.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Thanks everyone for responding. I got a server with an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor.

John

AMD is probably a good choice in terms of performance and cost. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by Leif
    I have a 1.7ghz celeron running FreeBSD. FreeBSD has a nice benchmarking tool where you can compare your server to others. Mine did about the same throughout a series of tests as a P3 1ghz. Pretty darn good in my opion as a Celeron 1.7ghz is a lot cheaper to build than a P3 1ghz. Celeron 1.7s go for about $60, while a P3 1ghz goes for around $100 (according to pricewatch).
    Sounds interesting - mind telling us what tool this is?

cd /usr/ports/benchmarks

There's tons..
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.