Switch for high traffic

Hello,
    I need a very good switch to support 1Gbps in 3 servers and more in a future.
    Money is no problem.

Maybe a Procurve 3400CL? I need a very stable switch.
    It is important to a physical firewall too? If so what?

Thanks,
    Last edited by linuxtuga; 09-10-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Cisco 6000 / 6500 series. It is scalable, has a huge backplane (the standard is 32Gbps but it can expand if you add the correct gear) and can be purchased used for as much as any procurve and cheaper than a 3750 series.

I've always been a fan of Foundry/Brocade as far as switches go.

Depending on how many ports, something like a FGS4802 or FGS2402 is good. =)
    █ Chris Geiger/ Krypt.com a division of VPLS,Inc.
    Follow our Twitter For HOT Deals!!
    █ Website:
    www.krypt.com
    Office: 866-616-9099 x9011 Fax: 714-242-7461

Quote Originally Posted by iptelligent View Post
    Cisco 6000 / 6500 series. It is scalable, has a huge backplane (the standard is 32Gbps but it can expand if you add the correct gear) and can be purchased used for as much as any procurve and cheaper than a 3750 series.
    Hello,
    I need a 1U switch but thanks.
    I cant see FGS4802 or FGS2402 on ebay.

But.. 3400CL is not a good choise?

Thanks,

Cisco 3750 series will let you to use up to 4 Gb/s (I think) since they have 4x 1Gb/s ports. Some of them the same series) are upgradeable to 10 Gb/s uplinks.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    Cisco 3750 series will let you to use up to 4 Gb/s (I think) since they have 4x 1Gb/s ports. Some of them the same series) are upgradeable to 10 Gb/s uplinks.

The 3750 can do more than that in total (backplane capacity) but the issue is your uplinks, they do support PortChannel's or link aggregation to get you beyond that 1-2-3-4gbps to a single point. However, at that point you may as well just go to 10G gear.

Actually going with 4x1Gb/s ports will be much more cost efficient than going with 10 Gb/s uplink - you may want to consider that while you are making decision. 10 Gb/s will require the same speed port on another (hosting company's) end - much more expensive, but of course gives you much more flexibility if you even need that much bandwidth - still may be cheaper to go with the second switch and 1Gb/s ports

Actually going with 4x1Gb/s ports will be much more cost efficient than going with 10 Gb/s uplink - you may want to consider that while you are making decision. 10 Gb/s will require the same speed port on another (hosting company's) end - much more expensive, but of course gives you much more flexibility if you even need that much bandwidth - still may be cheaper to go with the second switch and 1Gb/s ports
    My point was that if he needed more than 4gbps at that point he should just go to 10g anyway as he's going to start having port density issues if he keeps aggregating ports into trunk groups. Also if they were pushing that much traffic one would figure it would be within budget to deploy a proper network solution instead of shoestringing it.

my point it would be cheaper to go with the second gigabit switch than with 10 Gb/s

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    My point was that if he needed more than 4gbps at that point he should just go to 10g anyway as he's going to start having port density issues if he keeps aggregating ports into trunk groups. Also if they were pushing that much traffic one would figure it would be within budget to deploy a proper network solution instead of shoestringing it.
    my point it would be cheaper to go with the second gigabit switch than with 10 Gb/s upgrade, especially if take into account the another side of the network (ISP's port) - simple

my point it would be cheaper to go with the second gigabit switch than with 10 Gb/s upgrade, especially if take into account the another side of the network (ISP's port) - simple
    We're also both making assumptions that the provider can support portchannel or link aggregation at that level, I know many who simply will not and will push you to 10g. 10G is nowhere near as expensive as it once was, even significantly less than it was a year ago, we're not too far off from seeing 10gb to the server in the very near future.

Either way mutlti-1gb will service the client fine in the beginning but there is always a point where 10gb becomes necessary, hopefully they grow enough to have that need

the best post in the thread ! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    We're also both making assumptions that the provider can support portchannel or link aggregation at that level, I know many who simply will not and will push you to 10g. 10G is nowhere near as expensive as it once was, even significantly less than it was a year ago, we're not too far off from seeing 10gb to the server in the very near future.

Either way mutlti-1gb will service the client fine in the beginning but there is always a point where 10gb becomes necessary, hopefully they grow enough to have that need
    Yep, I completely agree with this post, although some IPTV customers are asking for 2 Gb/s to start with , but who know when they really hit this level...

Hello,
    I only need a 1Gbps uplink to start. The 3400CL is a best choice for this prices?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxtuga View Post
    Hello,
    I only need a 1Gbps uplink to start. The 3400CL is a best choice for this prices?
    Well,

I'm biased and partial to cisco so I would recommend the WS-C3750G-24T-S which would allow you to easily stack a second 3750 for expansion at minimal cost. You had asked about a firewall, they are older and a bit bigger at 3U but the Pix 535 supports gig-e and can do a few hundred mbps and can be picked up very cheap these days. That should serve you well to start out.

With that much traffic doesn't look like you'll be hosting business transaction type of services, it may be better to separate multimedia/binary services and let them be without the firewall, while if you have e-commerce, etc. - put just that part behind the firewall. High bandwidth firewall are getting expensive very quickly. Switches are much cheaper...

3750 will do the job. Not familiar with 3400CL...

Try a c3560G cheap and good cisco!
    I have tried pushing 3.2Gbps through it with 4xGbps uplinks without and latency or any other problems!
    Strongely recommended.

Ofcourse if it only is Layer2 traffic, there are other cheaper brands that might work too. But cisco is recommended when it comes to quality!

Quote Originally Posted by portlane View Post
    Try a c3560G cheap and good cisco!
    I have tried pushing 3.2Gbps through it with 4xGbps uplinks without and latency or any other problems!
    Strongely recommended.

Ofcourse if it only is Layer2 traffic, there are other cheaper brands that might work too. But cisco is recommended when it comes to quality!
    Hello,
    Thanks for sugestion!

I would recommend a Cisco 3560 or 3750. Never had any issues running these things all the way to the max.

I would NOT recommend anything from the Brocade/Foundry FGS line. We have had issues getting anywhere near line speed on these devices and ended up selling them all off to wholesalers.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I would recommend a Cisco 3560 or 3750. Never had any issues running these things all the way to the max.

I would NOT recommend anything from the Brocade/Foundry FGS line. We have had issues getting anywhere near line speed on these devices and ended up selling them all off to wholesalers.
    And about procurve line?

When u use quality switch, it really screams.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>