If any host shuts the account

What should be done if any host shuts anybody's account due to overload on the server

I would say ask them to upgrade your account to a VPS

I think you might request your host to move your account on the another server if its located on the crowded server or else upgrading to VPS would be good options.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Ask for an backup and then switch to an VPS on another provider because most providers first offer you to upgrade your account before they actually shut it down, if they do not I see no reason why you should stay with them. Those who shut down your account right away are actually not interested in you as a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by xojac View Post
    Ask for an backup and then switch to an VPS on another provider because most providers first offer you to upgrade your account before they actually shut it down, if they do not I see no reason why you should stay with them. Those who shut down your account right away are actually not interested in you as a consumer.
    I second this opinion.

I'd ask for proof of you overloading the service, so you are able to track down what is wrong. It may just be a bad script, which you can remove or fix. If you are using Wordpress, it could be a plugin which is using up many resources, you could also try installing Wp-super cache to lower resource usage.

If all of that fails and you are still happy with the host you are on ask if you can be upgraded to a new service, such as a higher plan or a VPS. If not, ask for a backup and go to a new provider on a higher level of service.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

It was right for them to shut you down if your site was affecting everyone else's. I am sure you would welcome the same if someone else's site was affecting yours. Work with host to find out the problem and correct it.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

as others said, try to get some proof of what exactly is causing the overload so that you can take care of it - chances are, if your site is causing huge ram or cpu spikes, it will happen on any host, even VPS, if the problem isn't taken care of.

If your site is affecting shared server, then i would suggest to ask them to upgrade your account to vps server.

I would investigate were your load is coming from, If you just have a demanding web page then try to upgrade to a dedicated server or vps solutions something with more resources available for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wajdan View Post
    If your site is affecting shared server, then i would suggest to ask them to upgrade your account to vps server.
    I second (or third, or fourth) that suggestion. However, I too recommend asking your host for a detailed report on what script or process is causing the spike in server resource usage. Otherwise, you'll just end up with the same problem on another server.

If they're not willing to help you track down the problem, you're working with the wrong host.

Anytime an account is suspended due to resource usage/abuse the provider should be able to provide evidence that will verify that it was the account in question that caused the issue.

If the provider is willing to work with you to resolve the issue then that is great but many hosts will just suspend you and tell you that you need to go elsewhere - if you do have to move make sure to contact the new host and let them know why you are moving there and that you may need their help to resolve the issue (so that you don't just get suspended and you can make sure the new host will work with you to resolve the issue).

Good luck!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Absolutely attempt to find out what caused the overload on their server. Changing providers may not help if you carry the problem with you. I'd say most providers will work with you to keep you as a customer, either by resolving your issue or by offering to upgrade your service.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Yeah the problem may carry onto another Host, you'd be best working together with the provider and try to resolve the issue.

It really depends on the hosting company you are using and their policies of why they shut you down. Some hosting companies have very strict policies while others do not.

Just out of curiosity what web hosting company are you dealing with that shut you down and why?

The more information you give the forum community concerning this situation will in the end result in giving you a more detailed response. As opposed to the knee jerk responses to this thread from hosts that prefer to jump to conclusions as opposed to asking additional questions to clarify the situation.
    Last edited by CrazyPenguin; 09-10-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar4u View Post
    What should be done if any host shuts anybody's account due to overload on the server
    consider switching to a service which is unlikely to experience "overloads" but does not involve the complexity and scalability limitations of switching to a dedicated server or vps, as an example mosso.com provides a "cloud hosting" service, which will be easy for you to use but shouldn't have this issue.
    Kevin

I would say ask them to upgrade your account to a VPS
    Everyone here seems to miss the point and head straight to the VPS option. Ridiculous!
    Generally and in most cases it is a bad script gone a-stray and is causing the server to overload, This does not necessarily mean you must upgrade to a VPS Server.

Before a VPS I would recommend that you check out the range of Semi-Dedicated servers that are on offer before you upgrade to any VPS!

Before anything, Consult with your webhost try and track down what is actually causing this problem and work with the host to try and resolve it so you can determine if an upgrade is the most viable option.

Get all the information first and then you can move on from their, No point in opting to a service you do not require.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Everyone here seems to miss the point and head straight to the VPS option. Ridiculous!
    Generally and in most cases it is a bad script gone a-stray and is causing the server to overload, This does not necessarily mean you must upgrade to a VPS Server.

Before a VPS I would recommend that you check out the range of Semi-Dedicated servers that are on offer before you upgrade to any VPS!

Before anything, Consult with your webhost try and track down what is actually causing this problem and work with the host to try and resolve it so you can determine if an upgrade is the most viable option.

Get all the information first and then you can move on from their, No point in opting to a service you do not require.
    This is so true of people on this forum instantly jumping to a VPS solution on almost every topic. A large majority of cases it's never traffic it's poorly made scripts.

For example today we had a customer who complained to us that their wordpress site was not loading. They installed a new wordpress plugin that does translations. If the user had not made a ticket complaining they would have probably ended up being disabled eventually. We did a quick test and the script ran for 160 seconds and still had not completed all while using an entire CPU! The user disables the plugin problem goes away instantly. If this user came here complaining I guarantee people would be saying you need a VPS or at the very least saying you need better hosting.

Of course when this forum is compromised of mostly hosting companies trying to sell their product that's going to happen. I guess that's the one flaw about advice on this forum. A lot of the advice is very bias towards the person finding new service.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

If your website is loading the server, check if you need all the scripts. Many times they are not required. If the load is due to additional traffic and the website cannot be optimized, upgrade your hosting.