* why Theplanet server is geting so slow???see how do they explain

sales from TP: You're in a data center where you can only do 100mbps maximum.

sales from TP: Well, I can provide you a discount on the new server

sales from TP: You have to buy a new server to get 1gbps.

sales from TP: Your server right now can only be 100mbps.

Nothing we at WHT can help you with; if they need to place you in a different DC so you can get 1gpbs that's what you'll need to do. Are you actually pushing close to 100mbps of traffic or are your websites slow, since the port won't help with poor optimization.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I have recently talked with their sales people and have had a great response. It also might depend on how long your server has been with them. I don't know the layout of the Datacenter but could only some parts of the network be 100Mbps Cat5? The new server they are referring to would be on a Gigabit network that would be the only way.

Perhaps you can have them physically move the box and pay to have the network card replaced for a small fee instead of transferring all of your data to a new server?

Good luck with your setup!
    Wordpress Web Designer and Developer Available for hire
    SEO Marketing | Email Campaigns | Websites | Social Media | Graphics

which motherboard do you have?
    maybe your NIC is a 100Mbit NIC.

They gave you simple fact, your current server doesn't have the option to go above the 100mbps port speed... Are you sure it's "slow" because of the port mbps?

I'm not entirely sure what the OP's concern is ... If the server gets 100Mbps in traffic on a 100Mbps port, speed/connectivity may be impacted, but server wouldn't get slower simply because a port could not be upgraded.

Without the specifics on the server in question, the most likely explanation is that a router somewhere in the network path has 100Mbps ports and adding a 1Gbps uplink at the server level would not make much of a difference in terms network performance, as the maximum bandwidth at the server is usually going to be limited by the least common denominator in the network. We've been upgrading routers and switches in our legacy data centers to accommodate 1Gbps connections, but until that work is complete across the board, some servers in specific racks/phases may not benefit from 1Gbps uplinks.

Skyaus, if you have a ticket number or a domain hosted on your account that you can post here or PM me, I can investigate your installation specifically.
    Kevin Hazard
    Director, Digital Content
    SoftLayer, an IBM Companyhttp://twitter.com/softlayer

Quote Originally Posted by KHazard View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what the OP's concern is ... If the server gets 100Mbps in traffic on a 100Mbps port, speed/connectivity may be impacted, but server wouldn't get slower simply because a port could not be upgraded.
    That's not true, if the link utilization is increasing over time, which one might hope (your site is becoming more popular?) and the user is unable to upgrade to gige, then what do you think will happen?

Obviously we would need to see an mrtg chart or other stats to identify if the link is maxing out during peak times etc. I certainly wouldn't fault theplanet on this.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by HP-Kevin View Post
    That's not true, if the link utilization is increasing over time, which one might hope (your site is becoming more popular?) and the user is unable to upgrade to gige, then what do you think will happen?

Obviously we would need to see an mrtg chart or other stats to identify if the link is maxing out during peak times etc. I certainly wouldn't fault theplanet on this.
    You're right ... I intended to include that disclaimer in my initial post, but I edited it out because the primary concern is the inability to upgrade the port due to the location of the server. Even if the server's uplink were upgraded, it would appear that a legacy router or switch somewhere in the network path would limit the traffic to that server to less than 100Mbps.

The OP sent his account information, and I've been investigating this case specifically. One server has used a significant amount of bandwidth,and our system has generated bandwidth utilization warnings it. The customer does not believe legitimate traffic/normal operations would explain the surges, so we've offered to investigate for security issues and attacks (as those are the most likely culprits).

For this server in particular, upgrading the port might allow more bandwidth, but if the server shouldn't be using 100Mbps to begin with, it definitely shouldn't be given 1Gbps to fill ... it might help with network speed in peak usage times, but it'll most likely end up in a large overage bill as a result of not addressing the root problem of (apparent) illegitimate traffic.
    Kevin Hazard
    Director, Digital Content
    SoftLayer, an IBM Companyhttp://twitter.com/softlayer