What should I get?

Hey, guys.

I was wondering what kind of machine do I need to host 3 Counter-Strike 32 slot servers. Each one will be 250 fps boosted and will hopefully have a lot of incoming traffic.

What do ya'll think? I can't afford anything over $150. Can I get anything for those money?

1. CPU - you should go for a dual cpu of at least 2.5Ghz
    2. RAM - more is better, consider having a minimal of 1.5GB for each CS server (6gb recommended for 3x32players), you could go for less, but your server will be slower on changing maps, connections, etc
    3. HDD - here the key factor is RPM, more is better, or go for a ssd drive, a CS server is about reading the data not writing it
    4. Internet connection - get the server from a provider closer to you, the speed is not relevant here, a CS server is not a bandwidth eating monster
    PidginHost.com - Managed dedicated servers, cloud servers and software development.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuPopescu View Post
    1. CPU - you should go for a dual cpu of at least 2.5Ghz
    2. RAM - more is better, consider having a minimal of 1.5GB for each CS server (6gb recommended for 3x32players), you could go for less, but your server will be slower on changing maps, connections, etc
    3. HDD - here the key factor is RPM, more is better, or go for a ssd drive, a CS server is about reading the data not writing it
    4. Internet connection - get the server from a provider closer to you, the speed is not relevant here, a CS server is not a bandwidth eating monster
    1.5 GB? I think I barely use 800 when my server is full.

RPM could make the changing maps process faster, but by what? 3 seconds? This is an HL1 server not srcds.

But, anyways i will take a look at the offers. You started me in the right direction.

All the servers I made by now had that minimal configuration and I can say that no customer ever complained.
    You can definitely use a cheaper configuration, it may work or not, I don't know since I didn't tested on low hardware servers.
    PidginHost.com - Managed dedicated servers, cloud servers and software development.

I am thinking on the location. It might be Chicago since it is in the center of the country and close to Canada, but in the same time, New York is a good location for Swedish players.

So core 2 duo would be good huh?

Swedish players? No offence, but they won't be able to play on it without "lag" unless it's in Europe, since you need low latency for these sort of games.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Actually, if it is a Zombie Plague type server, any ping is good that is under 200. Most of the players from Europe get a ping of 160 on my Chicago server. It should be lower in New York.

But let's not get off topic. Is there a specific machine you can recommend me?

4GB of RAM, and a decent quad core(perhaps Yorkfield-based from the Core2Quad line) is all you need, as well as a pretty well connected network on a 100mbps port.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

What do you think about,

Core2Quad q8200 2.33GHz
    2 GB RAM / 500GB HDD
    2000GB* of Bandwidth

And they price they offer me is $120/a month with Windows Server 2003 32 bit

Edit: I know that it is only 2 GB of ram, but is the value worth it?

I am not sure if you really need a quad, try if you can get some more ram if you switch to an dual core.

Yeah, I am not sure about a quad either. I will take a look at some more providers.

Anybody knows a company I can go to? I need a core2duo, about 3gbs of ram and 100mbps port. I need it in New York.