Arrow Colo - My Own Cabinet - What do i need?

So we currently have quite a few servers colocated, but they're all on shared racks and i was considering moving to a Full Cabinet.

But i know that this requires your own equipment and possibly more work? But it's also cheaper. (in the long run!)

So my question is, What do i need exactly?
    PDU's, Switches, anything else? Also, Could anyone reccommend any PDU's or switches, as i don't have much knowledge in that department and would like to learn more!

My basic requirements for a switch would be so i can monitor bandwidth, possibly limit amounts going to each port..not sure of anything else

And for a PDU, I would like to have remote reboot functionality ..and i think that's it?

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Obtrix,

Congratulations on acquiring your own cabinet. If you like a PDU with remote reboot port capability, APC makes a good one and AP7932 (30Amps 120V) is quite popular.

For switch, Cisco 3500 is a good layer 2 switch. You can type this keyword at eBay WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN and there are quite a few of them that is sub $100. You can limit the bandwidth by setting the port to 10Mbps full duplex. But if you need more flexibility, you will need a layer 3 switch with QoS and there are quite a few options out there. For example, Extreme Networks Summit48 15001, etc.

Hope this helps.
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

Really all you need is a PDU and a switch. It might be a good idea to run a private network on a second switch as well.

You will never regret getting a remote reboot PDU from the get-go. The APC AP7830 is the de-facto 0U PDU. There are 1U and other options available as well. I personally prefer the AP7802 2U for 30A circuits.

As far as switches - it's hard to go wrong with a Cisco. Also consider the HP ProCurves if you won't be doing any serious L3 work (they are fine for basic stuff). Great deals can be had and they carry a lifetime warranty, even used. Search eBay for the 2824 series if you need L3. You can look at the 2810 and 1810 series for non-managed L2 switches that are lower cost.

Thanks for the information guys!
    I think i'm all set for the PDU, Just need a good switch that does what i need.
    Although could anyone explain what's the different between L2 and L3 switches and managed and unmanaged, when i was googling i found these terms quite common, and couldn't find a good definition/explanation.

Actually i was considering running a private network as well, does this mean that the my servers need two ethernet ports as well?

You can pick up affordable Cisco 2950 refurbs. A good power unit with reboot ports, and I recommend a KVM, you could get away with a single lantronix spider and pay to have a tech move it when you need it rather than plopping down for a big one. I've seen in come cases a spider tied to a cheap standalone non-IP KVM.

As for layer2/3 - you have to love howstuffworks.com http://computer.howstuffworks.com/lan-switch15.htm

i was just discussing this lightly with my datacenter as I am about to move to a rack also.

They offer a power system which includes and PDU and a nice line, but I would have to buy switches and stuff or lease theirs.

I think a big diff between dealing with server tech versus routers and stuff...a bit beyond me at this point. Not sure of how to go yet..big cost at once or higher cost over time on lease.

Luckily for me it is mostly single server systems with their own firewall setups, just need a line to the net.

let us know what you get so we can all learn a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by programguy View Post
    i was just discussing this lightly with my datacenter as I am about to move to a rack also.

They offer a power system which includes and PDU and a nice line, but I would have to buy switches and stuff or lease theirs.

I think a big diff between dealing with server tech versus routers and stuff...a bit beyond me at this point. Not sure of how to go yet..big cost at once or higher cost over time on lease.

Luckily for me it is mostly single server systems with their own firewall setups, just need a line to the net.

let us know what you get so we can all learn a bit.
    I'm sure since you are running a single private rack you can just get a switch and put it in whats generally known as 'dummy mode.' Forgoing any VLAN's or anything special of that nature, in other words just plug and play. At least it will be there later when you grow some more and require those features.

If it's just one cab with your own equipment, get a decent L2 switch for less than $500. L3 is only needed for VLAN routing or more complicated setups. Don't make it more complicated than you need to.

You can get a decent layer 3 cisco switch (3550) for under $250 now. It should do what you need. As to your local network, yes, your servers would need two network cards.
    James Lumby

The difference between L@ and L3 switches is one of routing. If you have multiple VLANs, a L3 switch will allow you to route traffic between the VLANs at the switch level (putting less load on your router, or your provider's line [which you're billed for, obviously]). If you have multiple VLANs and no router of your own - a L3 switch can save you some on bandwidth. If you don't have multiple VLANs, and/or you have a router of your own and aren't worried about routing at the switch, L2 is perfectly adequate.
    Joe Cooter - <jcooter(at)sliqua.com>
    Executive Vice President - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc.
    1-877-4SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcooter-sliqua View Post
    The difference between L@ and L3 switches is one of routing. If you have multiple VLANs, a L3 switch will allow you to route traffic between the VLANs at the switch level (putting less load on your router, or your provider's line [which you're billed for, obviously]). If you have multiple VLANs and no router of your own - a L3 switch can save you some on bandwidth. If you don't have multiple VLANs, and/or you have a router of your own and aren't worried about routing at the switch, L2 is perfectly adequate.
    Ahh makes much more sense, Thanks for putting is so nicely!!!

All you will need is

PDU
    Switch
    cables
    KVM
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I 2nd the 2950. Try to get the 2950T series as it is the "enhanced" version and will do some things the 2950 won't. A 3548 is also a good switch. I've used both and they worked great. You can pick both up on ebay for less than $200. If you get a 48 port, you can setup VLANs for the public and private network so you won't need two switches.

As far as the power goes, I have an APC (not sure which model). It's only a 15 amps, but worth it's weight in gold. Something to watch out for the APC, the console cable to set them up isn't a stardard one. Make sure you get one with this cable or you may have trouble configuring it.