* GigeNet charges $45/month for MySQL Backup?

I am looking for a full managed dedicated server. After doing a lot reading here, I am thinking GigeNet is the best choice for me. However, when I called their sales, I was told I had to pay $45/month($20 monthly license fee + $25 monthly service fee) for MySQL backup. Is this correct?

BTW, I am currently hosting with ServINT Signature VPS (1.5 GB Guaranteed ,3 GB Burst RAM)) and am very satisfied with their service. My pain is that my server has a large server load every morning between 9:00 am and 11:00am even I don't have a lot visitors. Do you think it will help to go to dedicated server?

Thanks for your advice.

are they using a mysql module for r1soft or sometihng that would require an actual license fee?

It's most likely the cost of R1soft. You should seriously figure out why your site is slowing down, since servint is managed they should be helping you out.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Are you planning to use a control panel?

Quote Originally Posted by dogli View Post
    I am looking for a full managed dedicated server. After doing a lot reading here, I am thinking GigeNet is the best choice for me. However, when I called their sales, I was told I had to pay $45/month($20 monthly license fee + $25 monthly service fee) for MySQL backup. Is this correct?

BTW, I am currently hosting with ServINT Signature VPS (1.5 GB Guaranteed ,3 GB Burst RAM)) and am very satisfied with their service. My pain is that my server has a large server load every morning between 9:00 am and 11:00am even I don't have a lot visitors. Do you think it will help to go to dedicated server?

Thanks for your advice.
    Not sure where your getting $45.00 from but here is the pricing for r1soft backup on our site:

http://www.gigenet.com/hosting-solut...dp-backup.html

The mysql module is $20.00 and the rest of the cost is for how much space you want to backup.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    Are you planning to use a control panel?
    Yes, I will buy the Cpanel and WHM service.

Quote Originally Posted by ameen View Post
    Not sure where your getting $45.00 from but here is the pricing for r1soft backup on our site:

http://www.gigenet.com/hosting-solut...dp-backup.html

The mysql module is $20.00 and the rest of the cost is for how much space you want to backup.
    I talked with one of your sales by phone and was told such a number. Hopefully, I didn't get misunderstanding with him. Thank you for your clarification.

I am new to Dedicated hosting, so please pardon me for some basic questions. Does that mean I have to the database backup using Cpanel by myself if I don't use the r1soft service?

Thanks.

I talked with one of your sales by phone and was told such a number. Hopefully, I didn't get misunderstanding with him. Thank you for your clarification.

I am new to Dedicated hosting, so please pardon me for some basic questions. Does that mean I have to the database backup using Cpanel by myself if I don't use the r1soft service?

Thanks.
    If you don't purchase the mysql module you risk DB corruption in the backup that r1soft makes. So yes you would have to use cpanel's backup system to do a proper mysql backup with out the module.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    It's most likely the cost of R1soft. You should seriously figure out why your site is slowing down, since servint is managed they should be helping you out.
    I have tried to ask Servint to help identify the issue, however, all I was told was that there were some issue with MySQL query. But I have hosted with ServInt for two years and didn't make any big changes to my source code, there were no such problems in the first one and half years. It was just in the last few months that I got such server down issue. I got the server load as high as 40!

I have to say that ServInt usually replies my ticket very quickly and really like their service. But they cannot help me find the problem and they don't have cheaper dedicated server...

Is it possible that other guys' websites hosted on the same server cause such problem? I don't have much technical knowledge and this is my guess.

I have tried to ask Servint to help identify the issue, however, all I was told was that there were some issue with MySQL query. But I have hosted with ServInt for two years and didn't make any big changes to my source code, there were no such problems in the first one and half years. It was just in the last few months that I got such server down issue. I got the server load as high as 40!

I have to say that ServInt usually replies my ticket very quickly and really like their service. But they cannot help me find the problem and they don't have cheaper dedicated server...

Is it possible that other guys' websites hosted on the same server cause such problem? I don't have much technical knowledge and this is my guess.
    If your paying a decent fee for your VPS, then its highly unlikely that the host node will be overloaded. If you are however paying like $20 for the service you described you are using, then there is a good chance that other VPSes are effecting your CPU usage time.

If you are moving to a dedicated server and utilizing cPanel/WHM, why you don't you skip all the fuss and simply use cPanel's built in backup module? Just purchase backup space from a 3rd party provider (rsyncpalace or fdcservers) and enter those FTP details into cPanel and set it to backup your files, emails and databases every single day.

All the best in whatever you chose to do

Thanks for all the information. I am currently paying $90/month for the VPS. I will certainly check the 3rd party providers you mentioned.

Before you leave ServInt, I suggest you open a ticket with them and rehash your situation and let them know you are thinking about replacing your vps with a dedicated server elsewhere. Let them take a another look at the situation and see if they can come to some sort of explanation for the high load.

At the very least before leaving, ask them to place your vps on another node and see if that makes any difference. ServInt has a very friendly & knowledgeable staff and I am sure they will try to help you out.

Hidogli! Would you PM me your account details here so I can do my best to make sure we sort this out for you, and one way or another find you a solution that works?

-Christin
    Christian Dawson
    Chairman, i2Coalition
    http://www.i2coalition.com
    follow us on Twitter @i2coalition!

Thanks for all the information. I am currently paying $90/month for the VPS. I will certainly check the 3rd party providers you mentioned.
    Thats a decent price for an above average VPS. Your host should fix the issue you are facing without much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ameen View Post
    If you don't purchase the mysql module you risk DB corruption in the backup that r1soft makes. So yes you would have to use cpanel's backup system to do a proper mysql backup with out the module.
    And once the backup is done via cPanel you will need somewhere to offload it, look for a backup provider. A cheap one I know of is bqbackup.com & the prices are decent.

-K
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!