GOOD UK based managed VPS wanted

I need a VPS based in the United Kingdom or Western Europe. I want 512mb Guaranteed ram 1024 burst, around 20gb storage and decent monthly transfer. I want all the server configuration done for me - managed VPS.

Are there ANY good hosting companies in the UK/Western Europe that you can recommend?

Hi Finbarr,

Welcome to WHT.

I'd suggest you to have a look at the VPS Offers section. - WHUK :: Leader in Web Hosting since 2001
    cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Hyper-V VPS | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

Take a look at

first of, how much is your budget?

Thanks for the replies.

I intend to pay 2 years up front, and the budget is around 700.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by ftaylor View Post
    I want 512mb Guaranteed ram 1024 burst, around 20gb storage and decent monthly transfer. I want all the server configuration done for me - managed VPS.
    Well, for a start I would strongly advise against hunting for marketing based headline figures; i.e. avoid burstable memory.

As a provider with plenty of experience in this area, I can tell you first hand that burstable memory will cause you significantly more problems than guaranteed. In theory burstable memory certainly sounds nice, and at face value seems like it should work well. We sold VPS's on this basis for a number of years and with plenty of happy customers.

However, after we evaluated SLM the technical benefits of it became very clear. After this we decided to ditch burstable memory (i.e. based around UBC) and switch all our customers onto SLM; the results were that we saw an increase in VPS performance and stability - with a nice bonus of fewer support tickets. Of course as a managed provider fewer support tickets directly correlates to our clients enjoying a better quality of service.

Now on the management side, you need to be careful about what exactly you're expecting/asking for. There are some providers who consider simply providing you with a control panel to be "management" - most likely that isn't what you want. However, depending on how exactly you want to use the service you might need to clarify any limitations; of course a managed service implies that the provider's support team have to take responsibility for your server, and in that case there are maybe certain things which need to be installed there, or perhaps cannot be installed there.

In other words, first get a list together of potential providers, but then after that make sure to engage the pre-sales teams of these providers with plenty of questions about all aspects of the service which concern you. It's well worth taking the extra time to review this thoroughly so that you avoid unexpected surprises later down the line (and saves some headaches trying to migrate between providers etc.!).
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    UK & Arizona Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

The guy above me said everything

Thanks for the replies folks. Quite like the look of and they seem to be offering everything I need.

When I say I want a managed VPS, all I really meant was something that I didn't have to do all the sudo-apt get work myself.