Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Response from a typical customer

HI Guys - this is from skystar. May I say first of all thank you for your feedback, yes, you too simplenethosting.

Here's the deal: We are a mature, _very_ experienced marketing company with various and sundry clients, in business since 1995. (Time flies!) Some of our clients have been Samsung Electronics, Big Dog Sportswear, Sears Point Raceway and lots of others. Some big, many small, including adult, mom-'n-pop, big corporations, start-ups, dreamers and everybody else.

A couple of our guys write for the Internet mags, (still), and several people we started with have hit the BIG time.

The main thing we have learned along the way is that there are a million people who can deliver products, but CUSTOMER SERVICE and understanding that everybody has a different interest level is where it's at.

I'm the Managing Partner of this company, (Chief of Stuff), and don't know a damn thing about computers and don't care to learn. I'm a marketing guy and love how the Internet works, but I consider it like the telephone - I simply use it without knowing (or caring) how it works.

The ONLY thing I care about is getting the job done and connecting with people who will help me do that.

The absolute _last_ thing I want to do is go to somebody's Web site to figure it out or spend one minute on it. Like the yellow pages, all I want is the quick info I need to do my thing, NOW. I _love_ brochure-ware sites! That's why I consider AOL the most successful operation on the entire Internet. Don't have to think - just dial, connect and begin.

I _demand_ responsive, helpful human answers for every problem we encounter. When we need to resolve a problem we _never_ email - it's a complete waste of time. You're crusing along doing your project and get hung up and need a quick answer. Send an email and hope they email back in a few hours or who knows when? FORGET IT. I need to get past this little problem N O W !

May I say this Naked Hosting operation has been good so far - accomodating, responsive and most of all helpfull.

Guys, there are a million hosting companies out there, all supplying more of less the same product. Offer quick, responsive, helpful telephone help, prominently display your phone number on your site and everywhere else, encourage callers to call you and you will go far.

What is this about
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I'm a bit confused myself...

Nice pep-talk, but, what for?

-Luxore

Originally posted by labgeek

I would not expect $5 a month accounts to get phone support. I have no problem with that. I wouldn't expect it to. And skystar should be told that. However, we must remember that most of our contact with others in this industry is via the written word. The impression is as important as the message itself.
    At the same time, you have to understand that if it's plainly printed somewhere like the main page or support page of the host's page, no-one should need to be told about it in a public forum outside of the host's site. Not that I agree exactly with simplenet's response (although I understand it)... I also don't agree with a subtle slamming of a feature that someone doesn't offer, and states plainly so up front. I know everyone's got thier own opinions and has every right to voice them, (including me, don't forget) so I'll leave it there...

No offence intended simplenet, but in light of your previous honesty, you do look a little more recent than May 2002

Registrant:
    William Kish
    SimpleNet Hosting
    G3075 S. Dort Hwy.
    Suite 443
    Burton, Michigan 48529
    United States

Registered through: SimpleNet Hosting
    Domain Name: SIMPLENETHOSTING.COM
    Created on: 09-Aug-02
    Expires on: 09-Aug-03
    Last Updated on: 09-Oct-02
    http://www.register365.com - European/Irish Shared hosting and great value domains - get .com/.net/.org for just €5.95, .ie for just €25.95

why do all threads with praise for a company turn into a mess. Cant we just leave threads alone which have good things about a company.

nobody asked for you to follow up with negative comments.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

its like it goes from a request, to some banter, to a review, to a pep talk .............
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Thanks for the advice, skystar.

I am sure most here already knew most of what you said, but it doesnt hurt to have things pointed out.

That_was_a_great piece of advice from a_self_professed_internet_guru who knows nothing about the_internet. And, oh yes, lest we forget, AOl_rocks_right?
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Well if you guys stop flaming long enough to really read what the guy had to say you might understand and learn something. He was trying to tell you what the new breed of hosting client is looking for when they look for a web host, not the techie webmasters found here, but the other 30 million people looking for hosting.

I stand corrected?

Yep, read it again. I don't see one place where this guy claims to have inside info on how the minds of webmasters work. Still good info, albeit basic.

skystar made a new thread as well...
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=89036

It would be easier if the threads were merged, but...

Anyway... simplenet has a right to be upset, skystar has some things to learn about the internet... both need to calm down a little before we have a full blown war around here.

Oh... maybe they're not upset at all any of them, so in that case they will probalby both jump on me for finding the thread.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

simplenet, welcome to WHT.

Fame lasts about 3 seconds here. Just move on.

Arrow

Originally posted by hosting_ie
    No offence intended simplenet, but in light of your previous honesty, you do look a little more recent than May 2002

Registrant:
    William Kish
    SimpleNet Hosting
    G3075 S. Dort Hwy.
    Suite 443
    Burton, Michigan 48529
    United States

Registered through: SimpleNet Hosting
    Domain Name: SIMPLENETHOSTING.COM
    Created on: 09-Aug-02
    Expires on: 09-Aug-03
    Last Updated on: 09-Oct-02
    There is something called 1 year domain registration, when your year is almost up, you are allowed to re-register it. Why did you go to the lengths of even trying to go this far with this subject?

Do you go to school, do you have an offline job? --- Get my point?

It may be basic, but it's amazing how many hosts don't follow it. I don't think a phone number is all that important unless the e-mail response time isn't good. Especially if you and the host are on different continents.
    For me, attitude toward customers is what matters, setting up ways to provide assistance that work and that take the customer's time and ease of use into consideration.
    I left a host who had a help desk that was set up for the convenience of the host. As a customer, it was a pain to use. I'd get an e-mail asking a question about a problem and couldn't just reply to it. I had to go back to the site, get the help desk, log in and then reply. When I'm already stressed out because of site problems, I don't need that.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Domain 'Created' dates in WHOIS reports are the date they are registered. When you renew (not re-register - no idea what that even means), the expiry date is added to. The created date never changes.

Perhaps you should check these things before casting unwarranted aspersions on complete strangers.

As my post said, no offence intended, was just highlighting that if the company was formed in May, why did it take until August to get the domain registered?
    http://www.register365.com - European/Irish Shared hosting and great value domains - get .com/.net/.org for just €5.95, .ie for just €25.95

Originally posted by hosting_ie
    The created date never changes.
    There are some circumstances where it can. From memory one might have been when bucketloads of domains were being transferred out of namezero midway through this year...and it was resulting in the original creation date being reset. Another might have been when moving between Core and ICANN at TotalNIC. I can't put my finger on an example, but I know that there have been cases where that date will change. We're pretty much over the namezero mass exodus now, so it might be a thing of the past.

[Edit: Yep, when registrants elected to move domains out of namezero they were transferred to Netsol and the creation date was reset. From there the registrant could transfer between registrars.]

Regards

Gary

Hmm

I said we formed Simplenethosting.com in may. It took two months to get Corporation Filings completed.

Sometimes this board makes me smile and at other times it makes me frown. Today I frown.
    Simplenethosting.com

"Quality Hosting, It's that Simple"
    http://www.simplenethosting.com

Yes I hit the new thread instead of post reply. and to think, i have my own servers.

Thanks for the comments. I am learning fast how to deal with threads in this community.

Take care

Bill
    Simplenethosting.com

"Quality Hosting, It's that Simple"
    http://www.simplenethosting.com

You're welcome!
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

If it makes you feel better...

From stumbling on this thread, and subsequently checking out your site, I will most likely be switching to your service. So you most likely just made $55!

Think i'm going to try this place out also.

I'm pleased that Simplenet seem to treat their customers better than they treated me.

Lets hope you guys posting above this get similar treatment to the thread starter.

Good luck.

I wish you all luck, you offer some great plans and yes fame and good comments are always shortlived here.

Just remember that the community is so small here in comparison to the exisiting and potential web hosting market. Most folks here unfortunately exist to troll and tear down. The community is quite sad that way.

So keep your spirits up, continue to smile and don't take this place so seriously, it is for entertainment value only about 75% of the time.

I have gotten some great customers/resellers and I have consulted to quite a few places as well from here, but the majority of my customers 99% are from other places.
    New Streamlined Sig---
    me, myself and I

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast