LCD monitor showing "out of range" while loading Linux.?

Is there anyone to help me out from this problem. I exchanged the monitors of the system which had Linux OS in my office. Previous one was TFT monitor and I changed it with LCD. But now Linux is not loading and a message like "out of range" message pops up. I know that it could be the reason with the graphics that had configured while installing the OS before for that monitor. I was using "Red Hat Enterprise linux 5" Server edition 32-bit X86. So to solve this issue is there any need for re installation of Linux. Please help me from this.

No, you do not need to re-install Linux. The problem is that the refresh rate of the system is higher than what the LCD screen supports. You may want to install the old TFT monitor and reduce the refresh rate to 60Hz. Afterward, connect the new monitor.

As an alternative you can try the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X session and get to the command line, then reconfigure the X window server.

your system running out of memory or problem with your graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by eth10 View Post
    your system running out of memory or problem with your graphics card
    what???

'Out of Range' is a classic sign that your X11 config is wrong for the monitor - this happens when you changed monitors and the old X configuration does not work on it. You can boot up on the console and run SaX, XConfigurator or some sort of X11 configurator (you can even manually edit the conf file) to match your new LCD or CRT

Quote Originally Posted by DJMizt73 View Post
    what???

'Out of Range' is a classic sign that your X11 config is wrong for the monitor - this happens when you changed monitors and the old X configuration does not work on it. You can boot up on the console and run SaX, XConfigurator or some sort of X11 configurator (you can even manually edit the conf file) to match your new LCD or CRT
    +1
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

I just had this problem recently.

Are you using an LCD but connecting it to the PC using a VGA cable?
    If so... switch to a DVI cable and the problem is solved.
    This is exactly what I did... I think the Analog VGA cable screwed with the detection routines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr:linux View Post
    Is there anyone to help me out from this problem. I exchanged the monitors of the system which had Linux OS in my office. Previous one was TFT monitor and I changed it with LCD. But now Linux is not loading and a message like "out of range" message pops up.
    When do you start getting this message? There are three times I can see:

1. Straight away (i.e. at the BIOS screen). If so, oh dear.
    2. When Linux starts loading (kernel messages). If so, look into supplying a 'vga=' parameter at the end of your kernel initialisation string (e.g. in grum)
    3. When the graphical interface begins. If so, follow the advice from other users here. You might also be able to press 'Ctrl-Alt-F1' (or F2-F6) to get a console prompt to edit any appropriate configuration files.

Hope this helps.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

I have seen this error in one monitor when it is connected to normal monitor port actually there was an graphics card present....when i connected to graphics card port this fixed

if you are connected to graphics card port then try to remove card and check again

Quote Originally Posted by DJMizt73 View Post
    what???

This is solid advice, but an even easier option might be for you to just hit the "auto-adjust" button on your monitor if it has one. I have a similar issue sometimes switching a monitor between desktops, and this always works for me.

It had just made me out of this problem..

Thanks guys for good replies. It had just made me out of this problem. First I reconnected the old TFT monitor and made the refresh rate to 60 hz and it didnt work out of me. Thanks avelinux for this opinion.Hope it would work in other systems. After all I just configured the x11 and it helped me. LCD is working fine now. Thanks for all the help. Have a great time in WHT.