Confused Beginnner Looking for Host

Iím hoping to launch my first website soon after running a blog for a year. Iíve learned HTML/CSS because I didnít think blogger was the best place for my website. (I want a lot of stories that are easy to see and several different areas on the site.) I also want my own domain name, and Iím hoping to earn a little bit of money. (Iím at $100 with AdSense at the moment)

Iím looking into cheap hosting options, and I canít really find much concrete on why I would prefer one over the other. Iíve looked over a bunch of ďTop Hosting ServicesĒ lists, and am coming up with ones like JustHost, Webhostingpad and some others. They all seem good, but it seems every one has a few horrible sounding customer reviews.

The cheap ones seem to have users that complain they only were reliable during the trial period and then turned much worse (ex. Webhostingpad). But then there are overwhelmingly positive reviews.

For my purposes (lots of pages with just text, javascript for adsense but nothing very complicated), are these cheap hosting services good? Any particular advice? Should I be reluctant to go for a 2 or 3 year commitment for $3-$5 per month with a host like Webhostingpad?

Thanks in advance.

Hey there. First off, welcome to WHT. You've come to the right place for web hosting advice and resources

I can tell you that most of the "top web hosting" lists and websites you see are dominated by web hosts with nearly unlimited advertising budgets. In reality, those top lists you see aren't necessarily a good resource for customer review or feedback.

Are you looking for a particular CMS for your website or do you already have something developed or planned?

'Top Hosting Sites' are generally sites packed with affiliate links so they can cash in on getting you to sign up. They generally have no real merit, just the best cash out for them.

On to your issue, look for a smaller host who actually cares about you and your site. I've never personally used webhostingpad by the way.

If you are running a reasonably sized site with text/java/adsense shared web hosting should suit your needs just fine.

EDIT: Ha! IGX beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by leenickel36 View Post
    Iím hoping to launch my first website soon after running a blog for a year. Iíve learned HTML/CSS because I didnít think blogger was the best place for my website. (I want a lot of stories that are easy to see and several different areas on the site.) I also want my own domain name, and Iím hoping to earn a little bit of money. (Iím at $100 with AdSense at the moment)

Iím looking into cheap hosting options, and I canít really find much concrete on why I would prefer one over the other. Iíve looked over a bunch of ďTop Hosting ServicesĒ lists, and am coming up with ones like JustHost, Webhostingpad and some others. They all seem good, but it seems every one has a few horrible sounding customer reviews.

The cheap ones seem to have users that complain they only were reliable during the trial period and then turned much worse (ex. Webhostingpad). But then there are overwhelmingly positive reviews.

For my purposes (lots of pages with just text, javascript for adsense but nothing very complicated), are these cheap hosting services good? Any particular advice? Should I be reluctant to go for a 2 or 3 year commitment for $3-$5 per month with a host like Webhostingpad?

Thanks in advance.
    All toplists are stuffed with advertisments for the companies with the big wallets...

I would not lock myself into a 2-3 year commitment. Even 1 year is pushing it. First thing I would do is try the host out for a month or two to see what they're like and if they seem good go for a year at a time.

Try looking in the offers section around here on Web Hosting Talk. I'm sure you'll find something better than what you've been seeing.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello Worldô
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

Most of those top list hosting companies require you to pay 1 year upfront. I would suggest you looking in the offers forums for a web host. There's many web host that offers money back if you do not like there services.

You may also want to give HostVoice.com a try to get a free quote based on your requirements and specifications.

No one has really given input on this, However, Your budget would seem quite fair to many webhosting providers. Personally you are not going to require "unlimited" everything and webhosting pad does offer this on their site.

As your site is going to be mainly static it looks as if you are not going to require too much. I would recommend starting off on a small plan, Preferabally not an overselling webhost.

You can try the WHT Offer Section for a whole range of webhosts, Do some research and contact them via their websites and you should be on your way in no time.

Sean
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) ē Shared ē Reseller ē Cloud VPS ē Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider ē Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM ē R1Soft Backups ē 24/7/365 Support ē 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com ē Customer Service Rep. ē Superior Service Guarantee

It seems you have already found web hosting. So now you need to find reviews on them or what?

Thanks in advance.

Tell you right now,

Every hosting company has it's flaws.
    The day there isn't a bad review with a web hosting company.
    Oh wait, they've got company's without bad reviews. It's called the company's that don't have any customers!

Bottom Line
    ----------------

Every web hosting company has it's flaws, so it's best to get a company that has a money back guarantee.

Regards,
    i
    really
    love
    WHT!

I assume you need to work with your requriments not with the price.
    Because you get what you pay for and that is the truth of the real life now
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

I’m hoping to launch my first website soon after running a blog for a year. I’ve learned HTML/CSS because I didn’t think blogger was the best place for my website. (I want a lot of stories that are easy to see and several different areas on the site.) I also want my own domain name, and I’m hoping to earn a little bit of money. (I’m at $100 with AdSense at the moment)

I’m looking into cheap hosting options, and I can’t really find much concrete on why I would prefer one over the other. I’ve looked over a bunch of “Top Hosting Services” lists, and am coming up with ones like JustHost, Webhostingpad and some others. They all seem good, but it seems every one has a few horrible sounding customer reviews.

Thanks in advance.
    The low, slashed "today only" prices you see on many of these host's homepages are not actually what you pay (or actual promotions). WebHostingPad does not have a monthly payment option, if you pay 3 years in advance, they will give you the price they advertise, if you go with one year, they charge you $4.95 a month.

JustHost, which perhaps uses some of the most questionable marketing tactics, has had that "special promo" on their homepage for as long as I can remember. The advertised price of $4.95/mo is if you pay two years in advance. If you want to pay monthly, it will cost you $7.95/mo.

Of course you never want to commit yearly without trying the service monthly, to make sure the quality is up to where you want it.

It definitely sounds like you do not need too many resources, so I'll echo what others have said, look for a non-oversold basic shared plan from smaller, more honest hosts you find here on WHT.
    Last edited by ItsJustHosting; 09-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I found the Shared Hosting Offers forum. Anything particular I should be looking for in selecting hosts to research/contact? I checked out a few on the first page and they looked good, but again, I don't know a whole lot so with so many options I don't really know how to narrow it down. Anything I should be wary of? Should I also check the "Find a Host" area of the website? (I found hosts called LunarPages and Hostgator there)

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to help out such a beginner.

The best thing you can do is to find a few hosts you like in the ad forums, make a list then search the main forums for reviews on each. Dont just take recent reviews, be sure to dig into the older reviews for each host and then you can make a choice.