Slow FTP Logins and now I can't go up directories

Hi There,

I just noticed today (yesterday everything worked fine) that my logins as a site adminstrator for any and all sites is very slow. I mean like 30 seconds to login and the server is setup here on the local network. Yesterday it took 2 seconds. Once logged it everything works at a normal pace.

When logging in SSH it also takes 30+ seconds for me to see the password prompt. The USER prompt I see right away.

Also, when I login to the site adminstrators personal directory /users/myname, I am unable to go up directories and it says that it can't find /home/sites

If i login directly to the /web directory, then i can get around just fine and move around without and issues.

Any advice?

Thanks

-dr

Figured it out....

It seemed to be a problem with the DNS. I changed my DNS entries (on the Raq) to a complete different set and the FTP logins were flawless again.

Not sure why that did it, but it did for those others wondering.

-dr

Everything works fine om my raqs, but lately the ftp connection has been a little slow. 10 sec to connect i think.

Both servers with that problem ar used as dns servers, so i would like to know what you did to the records to solve the problem?

Sinumsen

I had the DNS set as one of the local ISPs here in town (where I usually have my servers co-located - right now this server is inhouse on the local network). Then i changed the DNS to that of my inhouse DSL provider and it worked fine.

Well, another solution, edit /etc/proftpd.conf
    look for the <Global> section and add the following lines, like:

<Global>
    IdentLookups off
    </Global>
    UseReverseDNS off
    Hmm, what does this do... Oops!