urgent: Site Down, Name Servers not resolving. Client about to have my head.
Long story short - I recently tried to move a clients site to a new VPS. Something went totally arse up with the DNS (I don't know what), but some people still couldn't load the site 2 days later.
Anyway, the client was going to have my head so I moved everything back to the old VPS so we could get it working again.
I changed the ip's of the host records for the name servers back to their old IPs, but instead of returning to how everything was, the site is now not loading for people at all.
People cannot resolve the name servers, cannot resolve the site, and I'm going to be in deep crap if I don't get this sorted ASAP.
The thing is that some DNS servers can see it, but others are reporting that the site does not exist. This isn't just an issue of slow DNS servers (if it was, people would just see the old server). It is reporting that it cannot exist at all.
The A record has a 4 hour TTL, so it should, only take 4 hours to propagate.
Check the SOA (yyyymmddxx) , it may be they won't update the zone as the new soa is lower than their current cached one. Incrementing the soa number to relate to todays date/change number may give their dns servers a kick. Other than that, hope that they need to restart their name servers sometime soon.