Thread: atom 330

atom 330

Any opinions about atom 330 for dedicated servers? Can they handle a very busy php/mysql website ? Can be better or worse than a Pentium D ?

Thanks

Probably slightly better than Pentium D, but it's not a really great processor. Go for a decent Core2Duo.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

The server is meant for the basic sites operation not for the heavy one....

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I've hosted 1000+ cPanel sites with it without any issues. It convinced me to purchase one for my home server.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JWeb2 View Post
    I've hosted 1000+ cPanel sites with it without any issues. It convinced me to purchase one for my home server.
    How much traffic? Do they use php and a lot of mysql connections?

Thanks

I was only using about 150GB a month, most were running forums and some were running browser based games.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by JWeb2 View Post
    That seems hard to believe .... Must have been slow sites. lol

Atom server is ok for basic stuff. I had one myself for two months

If you do anything with heavy mysql/PHP go for a decent core2duo as cristibighea said.
    Last edited by pclover; 08-27-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNP-EricI View Post
    Atom server is ok for basic stuff. I had one myself for two month's

If you do anything with heavy mysql/PHP go for a decent core2duo as cristibighea said.
    Agreed, a good Core 2 Duo E6600 - E8400 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    That seems hard to believe .... Must have been slow sites. lol
    Some sites weren't very active, but some were getting constant traffic and others had a lot of scripts running as much as every minute. The fact that it still ran over 1000 cPanel accounts while using less than 512MB RAM and keeping the CPU load under 1.00 was pretty amazing for what others consider a low end CPU.

Check here: cpubenchmark.net

We ran Exchange 2007 on an Atom 330 for several months and it worked great... The 330 does pack a nice punch

With that said we ended up upgrading to a Core2Duo after having some lag issues creep up due to a slightly higher load.

If an Atom can even run Exchange at all then it's gotta be a decent processor!
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    We ran Exchange 2007 on an Atom 330 for several months and it worked great... The 330 does pack a nice punch

With that said we ended up upgrading to a Core2Duo after having some lag issues creep up due to a slightly higher load.

If an Atom can even run Exchange at all then it's gotta be a decent processor!
    I was running a Domino server for 50 Notes users, plus the website for the company, plus portal access to the CMS built on Domino/Notes. No problem at all. I was shocked that such a "low-end" processor with only 1 GB RAM could run that without falling over and dying, but the performance was more than acceptable.

An Atom 330 is equivalent to a Pentium D 2.4 Ghz from Passmark results.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    An Atom 330 is equivalent to a Pentium D 2.4 Ghz from Passmark results.
    I don't think I would ever run 1000 websites on a pentium D but thats me

I find this surprise .. well surprising!

I honestly believe that the majority of users buy server horsepower they don't need. Shock at a Pentium 4 D running 1000 websites is misplaced as just a couple of years ago people did this just fine. If they are static html mostly sites there is absolutely no reason that you cant do that now on a Dual P3 just as you did 5 years ago. Nothing has changed about basic html brochure like pages. I am not suggesting people rush out to get these but suggesting that people running an Atom fine should be considering going to a E8400 for no good reason is just wrong.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

You'd be amazed at what you can do if you tweak the server using Atom 330.

I was reading a thread here saying that ATOM 330 is like P4
    However, you guys say it is like P4D DUAL cores? any link of information for this?
    Peter Orga-Sales -sales@sexywing.com
    SexyWing - flying adult hosting service
    Profitable adult hosting provider Since 2006
    http://www.sexywing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    I find this surprise .. well surprising!

I honestly believe that the majority of users buy server horsepower they don't need. Shock at a Pentium 4 D running 1000 websites is misplaced as just a couple of years ago people did this just fine. If they are static html mostly sites there is absolutely no reason that you cant do that now on a Dual P3 just as you did 5 years ago. Nothing has changed about basic html brochure like pages. I am not suggesting people rush out to get these but suggesting that people running an Atom fine should be considering going to a E8400 for no good reason is just wrong.
    Well, that is because it depends on the sites you are putting in the server.

If 1000 sites are fine with the other user's server that does not mean another user's server can run the same thing....

It can be 2000, it can be 5 sites, it can be 100 sites, etc...

We had actual experienced on this.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I have found the following thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=871237

What I am thinking is if the atom can work with such a website image hosting script.

I have done some tests on a 4850e cpu it can go less than 0.8 load average. Do you think the atom could handle that load? It will run lighttpd. Anyone that has experience with image hosting and atom servers ? Is it worth to get an atom server and try it or waste of time? Website 10k alexa. Thanks.

I have an atom at home for my homeserver and I am pretty amazed about the power. You really should not judge this processor by it is frequency, several things changed in the recent years and the atom contains all the latest technology, so I think it should be fine for what you are planning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Agreed, a good Core 2 Duo E6600 - E8400 etc.
    E6600 and E8400 are not that expensive. You may want to go with that.
    More than decade with webhosting!