Thread: CPU Load

CPU Load

My account was suspended by my host and I am just shocked. I am running 1 wordpress blog and 1 forum on a shared host. I have on average about 3k pageview (not unique) and roughly 200 unique visitors a day. On any given time, not more than 20 people is on my site. I've been with them for almost 3 months now and all of a sudden I am using high CPU load. That just doesnt make sense to me.

Well the sql db on your site could be using alot of cpu do you know what the server specs are of the server your hosted on duel / qaud? if its just 2 cpu then its understandable

Its on dual cpu. They told me where I am causing high CPU, its on one of my blog page, apparently there was 300 different connection to it. I know there is more than 20 people on my blog the most at any single time so thats quite suprising.
    They said that it may be a httpd attack? If so, shouldnt it not be my fault? Shouldnt the host protect on all attacks?

Usually on duel cpus they cant handle large amount of traffic on sites, Who is your host ?

Quote Originally Posted by Neokenzo View Post
    My account was suspended by my host and I am just shocked. I am running 1 wordpress blog and 1 forum on a shared host. I have on average about 3k pageview (not unique) and roughly 200 unique visitors a day. On any given time, not more than 20 people is on my site. I've been with them for almost 3 months now and all of a sudden I am using high CPU load. That just doesnt make sense to me.
    really number of vistors wont plan that much on CPU,is some script or improver coded script may cause this issue
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

It could be the sql

With the traffic numbers you said, it really doesn't sound like something that would cause high CPU usage. Could be a run away script that is causing it, or someone is hitting a image that is on your blog a lot.
    SpeedSmart.net - The ultimate HTML5 internet speed test & App

well , if you outgrew a shared hosting account, that's good news - your site is getting more popular and forum is getting bigger.

I suggest looking at some entry level VPS.

Sound like you need to upgrade to a VPS, there are many cheap VPS providers that can help you setup your VPS if you have no experience.

You should ask them if they can check for which script is using it and for proof of it happening.

Check your plugins and try disabling some of them.

Also, add WP Super Cache, it will help reduce load on the server greatly.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Ask for some sort of evidence and justification and see if they will work with you to help you resolve the issue. If they're not willing to help you resolve it then you may have no choice but to move to another provider.

It doesn't sound to me like you've outgrown shared hosting (even 500 visits/day on a blog is well within shared hosting limits) and you claim to be at 200 visits.

Good luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Sorry guys the OP does not belong on a VPS. While throwing money at problems is great it's not a solution. Assuming the host is right and there is a lot of CPU from the OP's site it's probably a broken script or a really bad plugin on their blog or forum.

So I'd ask your host for more information as to what they believe is causing the issues.

You should also check the error_log on your blog and forum folders if your PHP scripts are writing an error_log. It could tell you if say a script is hitting maximum execution time which would tell you there is an issue. The other thing is if you have a wordpress blog using wp-super-cache will help a lot as well. The other thing to look at for a blog is plugins some wordpress plugins are really intensive.

On the forum side make sure you're not running a shoutbox as that'll come issues. I doubt that's the case though the amount of page views you have suggests that's not the case.

Software solutions are always the best solutions rather than spending money. Upgrading plans or getting a VPS or dedicated should be a last resort. Otherwise the problem just keeps coming back as the site gets larger.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

I agree with TonyB, throwing more money at the situation will not help, I run multiple blogs and scripts on 1 of my Shared hosting providers without any problems.

Ask if your Shared Host will identify the script causing the problem, if your using Wordpress for your blog install WP-SuperCache, it will really help.

Other than this, all I can recommend is switching to a better shared host (one who doesn't oversell), VPS or anything more is overkill for this.
    WLKNS.co - A collection of my programmer thoughts

Thanks for the replies guys. I dont think I need to jump to VPS just yet. My site is only 7 months old and like I said, there is barely any users around. I'd probably close down the site at this stage if I need a VPS.

Here what was given to me during the first suspension (I'm on my third suspension now):
    mysite mysite.com 8.48 5.28 1.4
    Top Process %CPU 45.0 httpd [mysite.com] [/category/video/page/4]
    Top Process %CPU 28.0 httpd [mysite.com] [/wp-content/plugins/wp-useronline/wp-useronline.php?_12523]
    Top Process %CPU 19.0 httpd [mysite.com] [/what-happened-last-night.html]

The 45% load is just page from my blog. In case anyone is wondering I am not hosting any video on the server at all. That is just how the WP theme categorised the pages.

I tried installing Super-Cache but before I could install it, they suspend me again. Each time they suspend me, they will only unsuspend me after 30 minutes to 1 hour.

I would advise next time your account turns on disable all the wordpress plugins and see if that resolves it. It's possible you have one plugin causing it.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

It's definitely a case of a blog or forum plugin causing the trouble. I would recommending disabling all the plugins.

Then enable one plug for a few days, turn it off, turn another on for a few days and repeat for each plugin. This way you will see if it is any one plugin causing the problem, or if it's all of them in whole.

Again, you didn't say how many / what plugins you have, can you tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by Neokenzo View Post
    Top Process %CPU 45.0 httpd [mysite.com] [/category/video/page/4]
    I got it unsuspended again and when I open it to page above, I got this at the very top of the page. Obviously I didnt put it there nor do I know how it got there. Anyone can shead some light?

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 22:28:43 GMT Server: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.8 X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.8 Set-Cookie: pass_hash=a5bbabedf884a95862e057a5d7c1da65; expires=Tue, 15-Sep-2009 22:28:43 GMT; path=/; domain=.mysite.com; httponly Set-Cookie: session_id=4091bf2788277dee9ecd043df2bb0932; path=/; domain=.mysite.com; httponly Vary: Cookie Set-Cookie: wordpress_test_cookie=WP+Cookie+check; path=/ X-Pingback: http://www.mysite.com/xmlrpc.php Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 17271

You'll need to speak to your host.

But I'd recommend using WP SuperCache or some other caching plug-in. It should reduce the CPU load your site generates significantly.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.