View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade reseller account which could give the site 5GB Space and 45GB Bandwidth

2 25.00%
  • Get a separate account for downloads

6 75.00%

Host for game patch files

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a hosting to hold some game patch files.
    The files will me linked from the main site which is with another provider.

I am looking for
    Space: 3GB to 4GB
    Bandwidth: As much as possible
    Budget (per month) $6 USD / 4 GBP
    Prefreed Payment by: PayPal
    Datacenter Location: Prefer UK but will take a look at USA
    Last edited by dolphinecho; 09-08-2009 at 08:03 AM.
    Thanks,
    DolphinEcho

Im not sure if shared hosting will do the trick for that, if its 3-4GB of content, you will be finishing your bandwidth pretty fast if you have a lot of visitors.

do you know how much bandwidth is expected to be pulled ?
    i mean, if its whitin the limitation of your package you choose , so it should be fine, but just in case , do you have statistics?

just so you wont find yourself suspended due to bandwidth limits ...
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Do you have any idea about the bandwidth usage ? that would help you in finding the right host; either in Europe or the US the diskspace and budget should not be a big issue; bandwidth might.

How many people will be downloading these patches at anyone time? you need to take into account how much CPU time these downloads could be using also when looking for a host.

I am not sure how many people will be downloading, but the files are available on other sites.
    I am not sure on bandwidth, as the clan site is not launched at this time.
    Biggest game patch file is: 974MB
    Smallest game patch file is: 2MB

I was thinking may 10GB+ as this would allow for upto 10 of the biggest file.

For Game 1: If they have got version 1 of the game they would currently need to patch up to 1.5 for those patches the total size is 2.37GB

For Game 2: If they have version 1 of the game they would need to patch up to 1.7 for those patches the total size is: 429MB
    I don't expect any more patches for Game 2 to be released
    Last edited by dolphinecho; 09-08-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Thanks,
    DolphinEcho

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinecho View Post
    I am not sure how many people will be downloading, but the files are available on other sites.
    I am not sure on bandwidth, as the clan site is not launched at this time.
    Biggest game patch file is: 974MB
    Smallest game patch file is: 2MB

I was thinking may 10GB+ as this would allow for upto 10 of the biggest file.

If they got version 1 of the game they would currently need up to patch 1.5 for those patches the total size is 2.37GB
    sounds to me like much more then 10GB

if your largest file is about 1Gb , you need only 10 users to get it up to 10GB, that can happen in one hour or even less.

I suggest, you start off with shared hosting, have actual live bandwidth details, and if you see it is too much for shared hosting, look for a small VPS server with plenty of bandwidth.

My other opition is to upgrade my reseller account that the new site will be using part of.

The upgrade would give me an extra 5GB or space and an extra 25GB of bandwidth, so if I use all available bandwidth I could have about 45GB available to me per month for the site and downloads. This would cost me 10 per month extra.

What do you think I am best off doing.
    Upgrading the reseller account
    Or
    Get new lot of space/bandwidth for downloads only.

I have added a poll
    Thanks,
    DolphinEcho

Have you contacted your host about buying extra bandwidth rather than getting more diskspace allocated than you need? you could possibly bring down your cost by getting a custom quote for just bandwidth and thus not paying for something you wont use.

If you really want them to be able to download the patches with speed; you could look at a shared hosting account in combination with a CDN (Content Delivery Network) which really would speed up the download parts; and you never have to worry about how many will download the patch at the same time. Granted it might be a bit more expensive; but you would be able to offer these patches to a worldwide audience.

A so called Origin-Pull CDN would do the trick; limiting the downloads from the shared-account; and being able to use a low-cost CDN.

Maybe something for you to look into.

update:Voted for an separate account to not interfere with your already existing accounts; you do not want your sites to go on black due to heavy downloads.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 09-08-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added update
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

my vote is a separate account.
    two physical servers are always better then one.

How about somewhere like filefront.com and rapidshare.com for the files.
    I know I may need a paid account with them but, what do you think about that, as I shouldn't need to worry about space or bandwidth ?

Can anyone recommend such service in the UK are give me a keyword so I can search Google.
    Thanks,
    DolphinEcho

Many Gaming sites like that run on a Dedi Server or a Big VPS Server. You should go with a VPS.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will use a few hundreds of gigs of bandwidth in no time if you intent to draw in visitors. It depends on what game though.

If it's WoW, yes, you will use the amount above if not more. And bad news is that 6 dollars budget is not going to cut it. It's not even close.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Going to a file host would be better for this need then using a shared web host.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

I think the best way is to use Rapidshare/Megashare, or even purchase a cheap VPS to handle your downloads.

You can get a VPS for around $10+ per month.

Quote Originally Posted by ToNeZ View Post
    Many Gaming sites like that run on a Dedi Server or a Big VPS Server. You should go with a VPS.
    how is he to get a "big vps" for 6 dollars a month?

filefront, mediafire or rapidshare (pref. filefront or mediafire) is going to be your best route, imo.

If I went for a cheap VPS would 128mb/256mb ram be ok ?
    Thanks,
    DolphinEcho

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinecho View Post
    If I went for a cheap VPS would 128mb/256mb ram be ok ?
    with or without a control panel?