Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

RelicHost aka Hummingbird, ZZHosting, No-Wires

There are several hosting businesses that all appear to be operated by No Wires Limited, a company registered in England and Wales:

Name & Registered Office:
    NO WIRES LIMITED
    42 ST. PEG CLOSE
    CLECKHEATON
    WEST YORKSHIRE
    BD19 3SJ
    Company No. 05995556

Their Company name can be seen on the following web hosting websites:

http://www.relichost.net
    "© 2002-2009 RelicHost, a No Wires Ltd Company"

http://www.hummingbirdhosting.com/
    "© Copyright 2008 Hummingbird Hosting t/a No Wires LTD "

http://www.no-wires.co.uk/
    No Wires Limited

http://www.zzhosting.com/
    "© 2008 No Wires Ltd T/A ZZ Hosting"

The owner of this company is Mr Andrew Turnbull. You will find him a member of this forum going by the username "nowiresltd" (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/profile/nowiresltd) and you also find postings under the name "NW-AndrewT "

For the past few months, the hosting has been getting slower and less reliable. A new server was commissioned that was supposed to be able to cope with the heavy demands of hosting so many websites.

On Friday 28th August, one of their servers crashed. This was a brand new server. It had only been operating for a few months.

Today, it is 8th September and this server is still off-line.

11 days off-line.

The technical support has been absolutly atrocious. Throughout this time, Technical Support Tickets have been answered intermittently. Days have passed before there have been answers and then when the answers come, they say the same thing along the lines of, "we are working to restore the account. It will take 24-48 hours etc. etc."

Effectively there is no telephone support. Although you may find a couple of different telephone numbers listed for this Company, they both go directly to a answering service. We have left messages but there has never been a call back. Effectively, there is no telephone support.

If anybody could confirm that this company is still in fact solvent it would be heartening to know.

If you know anybody using hosting at any of the hosting businesses listed above, please, please warn them to consider their hosting arrangements. If their websites are on-line at the moment, they may not be for long.

WARNING: Looking through this forum, you will see that the user "nowiresltd" is frequently making bids to acquire other hosting businesses. Be very careful!

Anybody who is concerned about this hosting company may PM me.

If anybody else feels as angry and let down as we do, please post to this topic.

In the meantime, let's ensure that the boasts of "99.9 uptime" and "telephone support" are reported to the Advertising Standards Authority (http://www.asa.org.uk)

If "nowiresltd" reads this topic, perhaps he would like to give his response. Perhaps he would like to explain how it is that the server is still off-line and technical support provides little or no information. Finally, are No Wires proposing to compensate their customers?
    Last edited by not-online; 09-08-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Do you still have services with them? if so any reason why you haven't them yet?

It sounds like a case of they have grown too quickly and over stretched themselves workload wise.

I assume you tried sending a registered letter first before posting this in a public forum? As you have there full address I mean...
    Ore Stone Radio
    Playing the best unsigned new music 24 hours a day
    Musicians - Visit our forums to submit your music for airplay

www.orestoneradio.com an Ore Stone Music Ltd. Company

Quote Originally Posted by Ore Stone Radio View Post
    I assume you tried sending a registered letter first before posting this in a public forum? As you have there full address I mean...
    You may look up the company information for yourself at Companies House website:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/0d...75/compdetails

Quote Originally Posted by not-online View Post
    You may look up the company information for yourself at Companies House website:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/0d...75/compdetails
    I don't need the info, but as you had it, did you try using it?
    Ore Stone Radio

I will be honest with you, we had a major failure on the server that you were hosted on. Andrew is the owner and main tech guy, he handles all day to day business. However he is at a friends wedding in Cyprus for 2 weeks, the phone number is in Andrew's office hence the lack of response to it.

He obviously knows everything inside out, I recently joined the No-Wires LTD team about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately fell into the deep end. I have been working 16 hours a day working on restoring customer data. The backups had not been used before unfortunately and we did not know how long it would take to restore - they have been stored in an uncompressed fashion so it has taken an insane amount of time to restore them.

The downtime is totally unacceptable, however we have 99% of customers back online, there is only about 10 customers that we are having trouble restoring but working as fast as possible to get this resolved.

Could you tell me your domain name with us so I can look into this for you?

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHostCom View Post
    The downtime is totally unacceptable, however we have 99% of customers back online
    We have half a dozen accounts with this hosting. I guess this explains the downtime and server failure.

If our 6 accounts are the 1% of the accounts off-line, then the server is trying to carry approx 600 websites. Are you surprised that it fails?

If our 6 accounts are the 1% of the accounts off-line, then the server is trying to carry approx 600 websites. Are you surprised that it fails?
    If the server is managed correctly, then 600 websites on a server isn't a massive issue. Managed wrongly, it's a disaster waiting to happen!

We have half a dozen accounts with this hosting. I guess this explains the downtime and server failure.

Rather than just trying to attack what I say, could you provide me with your domain name(s) to look into this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHostCom View Post
    The downtime is totally unacceptable, however we have 99% of customers back online, there is only about 10 customers that we are having trouble restoring but working as fast as possible to get this resolved.

Could you tell me your domain name with us so I can look into this for you?
    I googled "Hummingbirdhosting failure" in the hopes of finding some further information and maybe a sliver of hope for the sites I worked hard to create. I rarely register for forums and am not keen to vent publicly but desperate times call for desperate measures, I s'pose.

I am yet another one of 10 customers (I find this number hard to believe) who've been blindsided by this failure. I've managed to reconstruct some of my simpler sites at a different host but not my mail order site, the one which pays the bills. I've been left out to dry for two weeks so far and no end is in sight. I get the same "back up in 24 - 48 hours" assurances day after day.

If getting my most important domain restored (or at least getting access to the files somewhere, anywhere) is a matter of posting the name publicly in this forum then say the word.
    Last edited by two_weeks_down; 09-09-2009 at 11:34 AM.

...wonders how many of these posts are the same person...
    Ore Stone Radio

If you're suggesting I've posted on this thread previously (or on this forum before) under a different user name, that's simply not the case. I understand the suspicion since I just registered today to weigh in on this thread, but I -- and apparently several others -- simply want our sites and files restored. Though No Wires does deserve some serious criticism on this matter, I'm not here to badmouth the company. I just want my sites back up, and two weeks is an unjustifiably long downtime period.

Quote Originally Posted by two_weeks_down View Post
    I just want my sites back up, and two weeks is an unjustifiably long downtime period.
    I don't blame you one bit, I just don't see why you guys don't get your sites up somewhere else until they sort the problems out.

Even a cheap hosting account somewhere would be better than nothing???

I wish you luck anyway..
    Ore Stone Radio

Quote Originally Posted by two_weeks_down View Post
    If you're suggesting I've posted on this thread previously (or on this forum before) under a different user name, that's simply not the case. I understand the suspicion since I just registered today to weigh in on this thread, but I -- and apparently several others -- simply want our sites and files restored. Though No Wires does deserve some serious criticism on this matter, I'm not here to badmouth the company. I just want my sites back up, and two weeks is an unjustifiably long downtime period.
    I have to agree. That "10 accounts" seems like a line of balogna to me. This is just absurd!

I myself have googled ZZ Hosting and came up with this forum, which I decided to register and put my two cents in.

And like everyone else, I too have received the same "cut and pasted" repsonses via the support ticket system. Granted, I'm just a hobbyist with 10-12 websites, I do have 3 commercial clients that pay me money to host their website/email. One has already left and taken their website elsewhere. That, my friend, was cold hard cash in my pocket. And in today's economy, any cash in my pocket is a blessing!! I have since moved most of my other sites to another host. But am still waiting, like the rest of you, for two in particular, to come back online (if they even do) ... so that I can move those as well since I didn't have a backup myself (my fault).

For those who depended on ZZ Hosting to make a living reselling, my condolences!

After being with ZZ for several years, this is just complete incompetence. I would happily give whoever I need to, my domain names to look into. But after reading this thread, I doubt that would even happen.

Why tell people 24-48 hours, when you know you have a bigger problem at hand?? And why not let the customers know something at least?? If the data is a complete loss, then it's lost. TELL US SO!

How's about none?

Rather than just trying to attack what I say, could you provide me with your domain name(s) to look into this for you.
    We should not have to publish our account names in an open forum. Does this mean that the ticket support system is not being used?

As mentioned in the original post, the ticket support system is a joke. Very little information is forthcoming.

If you spend less time hanging around the forum and more time answering the ticket support, I expect that you would have happier customers.

RelicHostCom
    We are also off-line - would you like our domain names. Shall I PM you?

I just saw this on the profile page here for "RelicHostCom"

RelicHost - Advanced quality UK cPanel web hosting «
    » Shared and Reseller hosting at competitive pricing «
    » 7 day money back guarentee with a 45 minute support response time! «
    If I write a support ticket, will you guarantee a 45 minute response time. Most of my tickets go unanswered and I haven't been given any information about what is going on. We have also been off-line for nearly two weeks.

I use zzhosting

They have always been cheap and reliable (so far) and responded fairly quickly as below.
    I only have the site for personal use so a few days downtime is inconvenient rather than damaging.
    Loss of data is more concerning than anything else - I hope I get it all back.

From: Web Hosting Payments Support <support@webhostingpayments.com>
    Date: 2009/9/6
    Subject: [Ticket ID: 733237] Cannot login to cpanel

Web Hosting Payments

Hi,

We're very sorry for this problem. A server malfunction is something we try to protect against by taking regular backups. We're restoring as many accounts as we can from these backups. Unfortunately, we've never had to do a total restore before and we were unaware of how slow this method is. We are using the method provided to us by our control panel provider (cPanel) to do the backup and restore. As a result of this, we're going to actively look in to replacing the current system with a much improved system in case this happens again. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused, and once we have got all sites back up we will process any requests for refunds for the month of September as the service level has been unacceptable.

If your account hasn't been restored yet, we expect it to be restored within 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks and apologies.

----------------------------------------------
    Ticket ID: #733237

I had received the exact same message - I am one of the 10 customers they mention I guess. They keep saying it will all be fixed soon but the sites remain down.

It is so long now and looking at other people talking about this here and other places on the web, can't see that only ten customers are still affected.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdbl View Post
    They have always been cheap and reliable (so far) and responded fairly quickly as below.
    I only have the site for personal use so a few days downtime is inconvenient rather than damaging.
    Loss of data is more concerning than anything else - I hope I get it all back.

From: Web Hosting Payments Support <support@webhostingpayments.com>
    Date: 2009/9/6
    Subject: [Ticket ID: 733237] Cannot login to cpanel

Web Hosting Payments

Hi,

We're very sorry for this problem. A server malfunction is something we try to protect against by taking regular backups. We're restoring as many accounts as we can from these backups. Unfortunately, we've never had to do a total restore before and we were unaware of how slow this method is. We are using the method provided to us by our control panel provider (cPanel) to do the backup and restore. As a result of this, we're going to actively look in to replacing the current system with a much improved system in case this happens again. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused, and once we have got all sites back up we will process any requests for refunds for the month of September as the service level has been unacceptable.

If your account hasn't been restored yet, we expect it to be restored within 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks and apologies.

----------------------------------------------
    Ticket ID: #733237

Maybe it's more than 10 accounts still offline, considering people accounting for 9 of these 10 have posted in here . . .

Good luck to all involved in this, seems like your data is safe from what the company has posted, just a little long. Shouldn't be too long now as there are not many accounts left!

Do you get the feeling that you will never see you websites, e-mail and other data again?
    It seems that they have backups (from what they said), although it's just taking a bit of time. Hopefully it will all restore OK and be back up soon, .

I just registered to say that I am another customer who has suffered loss because of this downtime. I am one of the 99% not restored at this time.

I am assuming everyone here was on the shared7.no-wires.net

At this present time, I finally after almost 3 weeks have access to my WHM and a few of my sites. However there is 2 very important ones that I have yet to get. I have since day 1 asked for just a MySQL dump for these 2 sites. I didn't care about the actual files as much as the DB files of user submitted text and information. No luck.

Today I finally get a support reply that links a backup file dated today, 9-15-2009. Well the backup file didn't exist, shocker. If it did exist why would I want a backup of an incomplete restore?

I have since moved all my major sites off this hosting as well as transferred domains. I made the mistake of paying my bill HOPING that maybe it would give them more motivation to be clear and clean with me, however, that didn't seem to matter.

At some point I guess it is time to just give up, and get to work on rebuilding the data. It is my own fault too I guess for not having recent backups. I should have known better. Well this whole ordeal has prompted me to buy a NAS unit and setup cron jobs to download zip/tar files of my sites files weekly and the MySQL files on a daily basis. So the next time something like this happens again, I wont be the one looking like a punk to the people I work with. It is kind of funny however that while we thought our customers would cancel service and future design work with us, it has actually strengthened our business relationships because we dropped everything to help get something back online through another hosting company. Maybe No Wires will get the big picture when some many people go packing and lets say 100 people leave, even at the basic avg price of $6 is $600 a month, $7,200 a year. That probably means a lot less 2 week vacations in the long run. Speaking of Vacation, I spent my whole labor day weekend working getting new sites on new servers and domain name servers changed. Because that is what you do as a reputable business person.

I am very happy about the timing too to be honest, as I was about to setup 2 friends with their own accounts that they paid separately. Well now I can save them from having such a headache.

Thanks No Wires, you have forced me to use a more reliable company, a big name company, that has the correct staff and procedures in place. I will pay more a month, but it will be worth it, and actually builds more value in what we can offer to our customers.

I was on shared7 as well, just posting to say that the last three of my sites were restored about 48 hours ago (and have subsequently been moved to HostGator, who's customer service has thus far been fantastic). Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting, hope you're back online soon!

I too have been battling to get my sites sorted.
    I have access to one account and have managed to get that moved, but 3 others are still not working.
    I have been with them years and very disappointed with their responses.

cheers

My sites have been down as well. The 10 accounts figure must be wrong, there's no way this many people have responded to this post if only 10 accounts are affected. It is either a lie or they really have no idea what is going on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast