Web Host Closed my Account for "Non-payment"

FsckVPS sent me an invoice for hosting for the month of June 2009. But their servers went down in the beginning of the month (June) and my site hasn't been up since then. In their ToS, they say that if there's enough downtime, we wouldn't have to pay for the month (I'm assuming an entire month save a few days is "enough downtime"). When I told them this, they closed my account for "nonpayment" and would not let me sign up again.

My question is, will this have any legal repercussions for me or lower my credit?

No it will not, they just won't let you sign up anymore because they don't trust you.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

I thought they were offering 3 months free for the downtime victims?
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

Quote Originally Posted by silphco View Post
    FsckVPS sent me an invoice for hosting for the month of June 2009. But their servers went down in the beginning of the month (June) and my site hasn't been up since then. In their ToS, they say that if there's enough downtime, we wouldn't have to pay for the month (I'm assuming an entire month save a few days is "enough downtime"). When I told them this, they closed my account for "nonpayment" and would not let me sign up again.
    Actually, if you read the their Terms, it states under their SLA section that they will give up to 50% of the monthly fee as credit back. 10% off for every 0.1%. They never stated they will give the month free.

@Ekin: No, it was only 2 months for those who had lost their data.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    I was also thinking that too Ekin?

OP Why not try and contact Russell Foster on this forum?

Good Luck

Nope it shouldnt effect your credit rating.
    They was suppose to give 3 months, but it required a lot of emails/effort to actually get though.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I'm just completely confused because my site went down three months ago and suddenly in August they're asking for payment for a month during which the server was up for maybe two days (actually, come to think of it, it wasn't up at all during the billing period, which starts from the middle of the month).

Am I really obligated (morally OR legally) to pay for this?

Try to contact them again and communicate with them to express your concerns in detail. I hope they will help you if your site was only up for two days with in the specified month.
    Or as some other suggested, PM their representative here who is a very active member. Hope it will be resolved.

If they closed your vps for "non payment", you can buy or no?
    www.cprvhost.com - quality & cheap cPanel hosting

Quote Originally Posted by caesar1cz View Post
    If they closed your vps for "non payment", you can buy or no?
    Sorry I did not get what you are trying to express

Please let me correct a few things that may be mis-understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohrar View Post
    Actually, if you read the their Terms, it states under their SLA section that they will give up to 50% of the monthly fee as credit back. 10% off for every 0.1%. They never stated they will give the month free.

@Ekin: No, it was only 2 months for those who had lost their data.
    Indeed, we gave the months in good faith, by no means were we by legal obligation to provide a full 30 days of credited service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekin View Post
    The payout table was as below:
    1 month (total) for a client with more then 24 hours of downtime.
    2 months (total) for a client with downtime + data loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Nope it shouldnt effect your credit rating.
    They was suppose to give 3 months, but it required a lot of emails/effort to actually get though.
    At no point in time did we offer any clients 3 months for a credited downtime, I'm unable to see where you might have pulled that number from other then mistakenly adding the 2 + 1 month as I listed in the payout table above.

Quote Originally Posted by silphco View Post
    I'm just completely confused because my site went down three months ago and suddenly in August they're asking for payment for a month during which the server was up for maybe two days (actually, come to think of it, it wasn't up at all during the billing period, which starts from the middle of the month).

Am I really obligated (morally OR legally) to pay for this?
    If you open a ticket with our billing department, someone should be able to fix your concerns, feel free to post the ticket ID here, or PM it to me on these forums and ill make sure it gets to the right person.

Thanks & I hope everyone had a nice labor day weekend!

~K
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

I've contacted billing numerous times. I PMed you the ticket ID # of the most recent one.

They are like $10 a month for a unmanaged VPS, what's the big deal?

I was going to say move to another host, because someone posted a $6 mo price just recently but when I see these guys have pretty low prices why not just pay and keep your site up then ask for a month or two for your downtime.

The big question is why did this host go down for so long? I mean, I support a host that had a event like a big storm going through and I would keep my site there or move back just to support them, but if you were losing something like $1000 a month or more I would have at least moved it temporarily in the meantime.