Issue with migrating an account

Hey, Guys!

I usually don't have any issues migrating accounts from previous hosts to us, but this one I've been working on is quite troublesome.

It's a rather large account shared account with many add-on domains with storage sometimes exceeding 1GB per domain.

On top of this, it's hosted at hostmonster (ugh) and this particular server is EXTREMELY slow. Every time I attempt a backup, it results in a time-out error because the files are so large.

I've tried downloading via the cpanel backup the different parts of the account (home dir, dbs, email, etc), and they either time out or download at very slow speeds (30 KB/sec or slower).

I've tried the transfer via cpanel, but this gives an error as it can't start the backup (too big???).

I've also tried to do a manual migration using ftp, but downloading all of these files is going painfully slow and sometimes reaching timeout errors because of the sheer size of the files and sheer slowness of the server.

Any suggestions?

This is a cpanel to cpanel move and I have an extremely fast internet connection so the download speeds are not on my end! LOL

Thanks!
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I would create a full cPanel backup at hostmonster, download the full backup and upload it to your home directory on your server then in your cPanel restore that full cPanel backup on your server. When creating a full cPanel backup at hostmonster it compresses the file making it smaller so hopefully that will help.

We have a client at hostmonster, too and sometimes the server is slow. You can wait a few hours, maybe the load is lower. Or here an alternative method I would use (manual though):

- use Cpanel's (new) FileManager and tar EACH web folder
    - download them all and upload to new server
    - about emails: do not try the backup/restore method, just recreate them on the new server and let the customer check their old emails from the old server (http://old-ip-address/webmail)
    - databases: try to download them from your local pc with mysqldump (enable remote access)

It is a manual process, but the account maybe transfered quicker if you wait for the HM server to do the things properly.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give it a try, but I've tried to do this last night (during the wee hours) and now during the day and there's no difference in the speed.

Also, some of these web folders are HUGE and so I fear the same issues would occur. And there are tons of folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders. There are dozens of domains as well and about 20 or so dbs that are also quite sizable.

Why do people go with hostmonster to begin with???

What makes HOSTmonster any worse than POWERmonster? They are both monsters. I guess power is better than hosting...?

Seriously though, good luck. Maybe contact hostmonster for help? They can generate one, or fix the root problem.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Be grateful that you can get away with your "frugality" for such a large site as you have been.

I faced a similar issue helping someone move from a dedicated to a shared Web host (the other way around but same experience). The dedi wasn't on cPanel so I found myself transferring all the bits and pieces. The FTP transfers failed to complete especially when accounts have a large number of files or big files. The error were either related to connection drops or "refused" connections in the middle of the transfer. I ended up writing a script that crawls the files with ncftp. You might not have the advantage of access to a shell but be prepared to move large directories one at a time.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

It's not my site. It's a client's site that we're attempting to migrate for him.

If you try again with FTP, configure the ftp client to retry more times after a time-out, and increase the between time-out period. For example, make to retry 20 times, and for each retry to wait at least 120 seconds. And make up to 2 concurrent connections. You may have more luck with this.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    It's not my site. It's a client's site that we're attempting to migrate for him.
    Ahhh....got it. Take your time. Maybe do it according to site structure. Get the parent domain/folders going then add subdomains/folders one by one just as if they were new.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm trying the folder by folder method, and it's estimated around 6 hours to complete the transfer of just ONE folder! LOL

Can we talk about oversold hosting!

Have been the first folder is still downloading. This is going to be impossible!

I've asked the client to have hostmonster create a cpanel full backup via command line. Hopefully they'll comply.

I've asked the client to have hostmonster create a cpanel full backup via command line. Hopefully they'll comply.
    They should - this is typically the first thing I would ask in such a situation. The customer definitely has a right to a backup of their data from hostmonster, so I don't see a reason they should not comply with this.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I agree. I'm waiting on the customer now. Hopefully, he will be able to get it without question.