Problem hosting Italian domains

I am having a problem trying to get hosting for .it (dot eye tee) Italian domains, has anyone else had similar difficulties?

The registrar, eurodns, tell me they're misconfigured and give me a big list of (meaningless to me) errors, I won't post them here, there's a lot. I have tried several different hosts and all give me the same errors, including UK and US servers but all fail. I was refered to nic.it/cgi-bin/DNSCheck/index.cgi to check but I don't understand Italian and google translate isn't any help.

Any suggestions and advice very welcome.
    TIA.

can you provide one or two of the errors you get?

I don't understand why .it domains would be difficult to host, I've seen weird extensions get hosted without a problem. .it is pretty well known (for me at least) so not sure why you would have a problem hosting them. have you checked to make sure the Nameservers are correct? but we can't really do much without knowing some of the errors you are getting.

OK, but it's a biggy, I hope it means something to someone...

Dear customer,

It's impossible to apply your NS because they are misconfigured for a .it domain (restricted by the Registry).
    These is the fatal errors returned by ZoneCheck:

DNSCHECK [NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK]: FAILED

Server: 969136181.hostnoc.net
    Address: 96.9.136.181

Query about (domain).it for record types ANY
    Trying (domain).it ...
    Query failed, 0 answers, status: no error
    Authority information:
    . 518400 IN NS I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    (domain).it ANY record currently not present at 969136181.hostnoc.net

*ERROR*: non-existent domain: Mon Aug 17 10:52:00 2009

DNSCHECK [NS2.HOSTPING.CO.UK]: FAILED

Server: 969136182.hostnoc.net
    Address: 96.9.136.182

Query about (domain).it for record types ANY
    Trying (domain).it ...
    Query failed, 0 answers, status: no error
    Authority information:
    . 518400 IN NS H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    . 518400 IN NS G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    (domain).it ANY record currently not present at 969136182.hostnoc.net

*ERROR*: non-existent domain: Mon Aug 17 10:52:00 2009

Your ara able to check your name servers configuration on the .it Registry website: nic.it/cgi-bin/DNSCheck/index.cgi

Please configure your NS before attempt to apply.

Best regards,

EuroDNS Customer Support
    I have tried several different hosts since but all return the same errors, the domain has been registered for over a month now and I'd like to put it to some use if I can. I've passed this info to the host too and they're looking into it but nothing so far. (I'm having a job to post this too, something about links)

Looks like it's just checking the nameservers you gave it and finding that they're not authoritative. Did you set up the domain first at your host? If the control panel says you can't (ie. you must delegate the domain first) then you're in a catch22 - just ask your host to do the setup for you.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Why don't get in touch with your domain name registrar and specify what is going on?

So you are having a web host from your domain name registrar? Maybe that worth to try (test) any other EU web host to make sure?
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Looks like it's just checking the nameservers you gave it and finding that they're not authoritative. Did you set up the domain first at your host? If the control panel says you can't (ie. you must delegate the domain first) then you're in a catch22 - just ask your host to do the setup for you.
    I had already set up the account on whm so it had it's own cpanel already if that's what you mean, I tried again after several days to allow for propagation too but got the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Why don't get in touch with your domain name registrar and specify what is going on?
    The quote in my second post is the reply I got from the domain registrar (eurodns) after I specified the fault. They appear to be as much use a motorcycle ashtray, unfortunately. I'm sure they think it's my fault, I think it's their's, but I don't know who to blame really. It could be the Italian nic for all I know, that seems most likely but I'm stuck on what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    So you are having a web host from your domain name registrar? Maybe that worth to try (test) any other EU web host to make sure?
    Mmm kay... I think you're trying to say try more hosts but that costs money and I don't have it to waste, I could try many before I get a result and that isn't practical and would be expensive. The registrar doesn't do hosting or recommendations.

The only other EU domains I have are .co.uk ones and they don't have this trouble. I've got the usual .com/net/org/info as well as .us and .ws tld's and I can host them all without difficulty, I've got several whm reseller accounts and a vps but none are (apparently) supported by the Italians. I was hoping someone else had this same problem and could tell me I need to do this, that, or the other. I did a search here but only old posts showed up so maybe no-one buys or uses .it domains anymore (I can see why now).

I'm open to suggestions including any known working hosts for the .it tld's, pm if posting here not allowed (or email <username> [at] gmail dot com) budget prices only please, I don't need many resources

I'd like to get something working if I can else I'll have wasted more money, although the domains may have value in themselves, it wasn't the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by kwoosh View Post
    DNSCHECK [NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK]: FAILED
    Is that just anonymization or are you really trying to use ns1 and ns2.hostping.co.uk? If so, the fact that they're not registered nameservers would very likely be your problem:

Code:
    $ dig +trace NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> +trace NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    .			55498	IN	NS	M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    .			55498	IN	NS	C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
    ;; Received 512 bytes from 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254) in 32 ms

uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns1.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns2.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns3.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns4.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns5.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns6.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	ns7.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	nsa.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	nsb.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	nsc.nic.uk.
    uk.			172800	IN	NS	nsd.nic.uk.
    ;; Received 500 bytes from 128.63.2.53#53(H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 274 ms

HOSTPING.CO.UK.		172800	IN	NS	NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK.
    HOSTPING.CO.UK.		172800	IN	NS	ns2.HOSTPING.CO.UK.
    ;; Received 100 bytes from 195.66.240.130#53(ns1.nic.uk) in 311 ms

dig: couldn't get address for 'NS1.HOSTPING.CO.UK': not found
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Is that just anonymization or are you really trying to use ns1 and ns2.hostping.co.uk? If so, the fact that they're not registered nameservers would very likely be your problem:
    I was using hostping nameservers until recently, it's not anonymized, but they've had problems lately so I'm not using them now. Not registered? Until last week they worked for the last 6 months, where do they have to be registered? Is there a central nameserver registration somewhere? (Sorry, showing my ignorance now).

I would think they have to be registered in Italy maybe and that was the problem but how is that done? And any that were used on .it would likely have to be registered in Italy as well, that's what I need to find out, that's what I don't know. I have used my own nameservers just by adding the IP's into the nameserver box at the registrar in the past, which doesn't work with .it (no surprise there) but you're saying there's more to it than that? I did wonder if it was eurodns tbh, their procedure is different to anything I've used before, like godaddy, name, namecheap, dynodot etc. so that's why I came here, to ask people that are more knowledgable than myself in these matters.

I was refered to this site: http://www.nic.it/cgi-bin/DNSCheck/index.cgi for information and to check but I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do when I'm there if you see what I mean. I can translate with google but it only translates the words not the meaning. Again my ignorance gets the better of me. How do I register nameservers? In Italy? I've never heard of that before, I've just put numbers in boxes and it's worked in the past, still, I live and learn.

This is the most promising lead so far, now all I need are idiot proof instructions

ns1 and ns2 have to be registered as child nameservers/host records at the domain registrar of the domain and they have to point to the right IPs and then on the servers they point to there needs to be NS and A records for those host records.

Without this they won't work as nameservers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

ns1 and ns2 have to be registered as child nameservers/host records at the domain registrar of the domain and they have to point to the right IPs ...
    This bit I can do already, it's like when you set up custom nameservers for a reseller account, right? I've done that on godaddy and namecheap and isn't hard to do.
    ... and then on the servers they point to there needs to be NS and A records for those host records.
    Usually you just put nameservers info the 'nameservers' boxes of the domain, at least that's how I've done it in the past, but eurodns have a dns settings page with a records and mailservers and mx thingies but I've never had to set one up like that before, I guess that's the info I need to find out. If I had the right info though I can use custom nameservers then can't I? It doesn't matter if I can or not I just want it to work so I can set up a website on the domain, like you do.

I haven't been able to find any info on the web about it though, what I have found has been in 'geek speak' if you'll pardon the expression, I need it dumbed down a bit (OK, a lot). I'd post a screen shot of the settings page if I thought it'd help any, whats the best pic host for doing that?

Right, you need to setup private nameservers, but the procedure's different for each domain registrar. Looks like there are a few tutorials out there for 123-reg:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=regis...+123-reg.co.uk

If you've already gone through that procedure for ns1 and ns2.hostping.co.uk, it didn't work. (If it had, dig +trace would have found an IP address). You might try again or contact 123-reg support to get it fixed.
    Chris

Right, you need to setup private nameservers, but the procedure's different for each domain registrar. Looks like there are a few tutorials out there for 123-reg:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=regis...+123-reg.co.uk

If you've already gone through that procedure for ns1 and ns2.hostping.co.uk, it didn't work. (If it had, dig +trace would have found an IP address). You might try again or contact 123-reg support to get it fixed.
    But how do I do this for eurodns.com? That's what I need to find out. Has anyone here got an account with them? Google isn't any help either, I was hoping someone here knows. I don't want to register hostping cuz it's not mine. I just want something that works, how hard can that be.