Unlimited bandwidth?

Hi , I'm from Singapore, and have been looking through most of the hosting companies and Data center in europe/USA, strangely, the bandwidth provider in Singapore, provides Unlimited bandwidth, those Data centers connected to that backbone, therefore, is able to provide unlimited bandwidth transfer. It's not just a few companies that are providing this offer, in fact, -all- of the web hosting companies/data centers are providing it.

So is there any catch to it?

Here are a few of the companies
    www.dslglobal.net
    www.webhosting.com.sg

no intention of spamming here.

I'm intending to colocate my server off Singapore, and therefore need to convince the locals here on why I'm having a bandwidth limit.
    And how is it better than those local companies which on the other hand 'seems better' as to provide 'unlimited bandwidth' transfer

Unlimited is a marketing ploy, you will NEVER get unlimited anything, it's just not possible, at least not on Earth... where resources are limited.

yeah true, but everyone here is offering it because they are getting it from a major ISP here. I'm afraid I'll lose out.

Chances are they are getting unlimited bw on a capped connection. Bandwidth has a cost, no matter who or where you are. Some places and some providers are more than others, however, even the cheapest (probably Cogent) has a cost.

Unlimited bw is usually unlimited unless you use more than a certain amount. Read their TOS VERY VERY carefully. I imagine you will find the key there. Read the fine print.

Nothing in life is free, you will be paying for it some how, figure out how and then find out if you are getting the best deal.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

I guess I'll have to put up a section on my site explaining the situation

Unlimited is not possible. Are you on 10mbps/100mbps network card. Even if its 100mbps then its 31600GB... its limit.
    There is limit you please find out how much.

Their unlimited means.. unlimited transfer.. as in you don't get charged for any form of overage as it doesn't exists to them.

I don't know what do they mean. I am sure its capped....

Also pretty strange for dslglobal
    they offer unlimited for webhosting, but the colocation is limited to 50, 100 or 15 gig's. Why isn't that unlimited

I think they are trying to do the average game. There are a lot of sites that don't use any traffic at all. And sites that hit the jackpot, say 1 gig a day or more are probably just cut off, or transferred to a overcrowded server were it can serve all it's requests.

Reference, I explained in another thread

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=83090

Originally posted by Reference
    Their unlimited means.. unlimited transfer.. as in you don't get charged for any form of overage as it doesn't exists to them.
    It may be "unlimited" as in no cost for extra transfer, but if they stick you on a 128k line for this "unlimited" everything will be slow, but sure you can push as much as you want out.

From a non-expert standpoint (just someone who has shopped around a lot) MANY MANY companies that say bandwidth is unlimited will limit you in some other way. Maybe saying you can only use an average of 5% of the CPU at any given time (or average) or are limited to xxxxx hits per day.

I've seen "unlimited" bandwidth plans with only 50 megs of storage, or some other means of making sure you are unable to use all that much bandwidth.

Really though, there aren't many sites that the average person will start that will use more than 5 or 10 gigs per month. I mean how many people are really gonna go to the joe smith's coffee shop site? Joe smith and his family So if Joe smith has unlimited bandwidth, but only uses 500 megs of it the host is in like Flinn.
    I reserve the right to be wrong at all times

phpbb forums without hosting fees

For $350.00, $299.00 Monthly you are paying for the cost for a dedicated 10mbit connection.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail