Photo ID required for VPS hosting?

Hi,

I just signed up for a host, and after I paid and everything, they asked me to sign a Paypal authorization form and to mail them a copy of my photo ID! Has anyone else run into situations like this? Why do they need my photo ID? Do most hosts require photo IDs upon sign up now? I'm just trying to run a small hobby site, and honestly, I can't be bothered to have to find a fax machine/scanner just for a web host (it's an unmanaged plan for less than $10).

What do you guys think?

I don't really think it's necessary to be honest in this case.

I can understand how they are trying to prevent fraud, but since you said you are only paying for less than $10 which I assume is a monthly plan, it shouldn't be needed. However, if you paid yearly, then I would say it is appropriate to ask for photo ID. There was probably something about your order that triggered their fraud detection program or whatever and they are seeking verification.

The majority of hosts do not require a PhotoID for something like this.
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Thanks for the reply. I really can't be bothered to find a scanner/fax machine for a ~$10 web hosting plan. I just don't want to go through the trouble. Should I be able to get a refund?

if they offer a refund then sure (you did read the TOS/AUP right?) if not then you're out of luck.

Ah, the refund policy was on a different page than their TOS. I can get a refund within the first 30 days. Thanks guys for your help.

Its Most Likely Burst your dealing with, Many of my clients have had very similiar problems.

Its probably more to do with preventing SPAMMERS from using their service than an anti-fraud measure - though both are similar and SPAMMERS tend to use fraudulent accounts when signing up for a VPS.

A Spammer or a charge back could cost a lot more than $10 to the host. So if they have reason to believe your order was fraudulent then asking for verification is necessary.

Just remember, credit card processors charge money for chargebacks. PayPal isn't so bad but in most cases its around $25.00 + the money you lose.

So a $10 fraudulent VPS can end up costing the company money.

Well, I'm certainly not a "spammer" but I probably won't go want to go through the trouble just for a $10 VPS either. I'll look for a company that doesn't have this requirement then.

Back in the day i ran my own company, there were only 2 out of maybe 100 clients I had that I did not require photo ID from. If I have a valid government issued photo ID, then I can make sure they are who they say they are. It also gives me a way of finding you.

If you get a VPS from me for $10 and DDoS / exploit / spam a ton and cause me a huge headache and possible legal repercussions - then I can pass it right on to you.

I think every host should require photo ID.
    Last edited by Dougy; 09-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I really can't be bothered to find a scanner/fax machine for a ~$10 web hosting plan. I just don't want to go through the trouble. Should I be able to get a refund?
    they simply protect their business, as I do - for normal web hosting accounts, as recently everyone getting new scams from Nigeria, they use some agent in USA to pay for hosting/VPS account, the CC pass all fraud protection as it's legit & the guys from Nigeria start send 300000 emails per hours, as normal hosting I suspended the account (as they invalidate the T&C and 30 days money back) and couple weeks later guy from USA will claim that he never paid for hosting as someone else used his card.

One of the reasons they ask for you ID.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima VPS View Post
    Its probably more to do with preventing SPAMMERS from using their service than an anti-fraud measure - though both are similar and SPAMMERS tend to use fraudulent accounts when signing up for a VPS.
    Exactly correct. This helps keep spammers and people who are going to use cheap vps plans for illegal use away from their services.
    PRESSD - Dynamic WordPress Hosting v2 is in BETA status, set to launch 1st q 2019.
    PRESSD is an OKTANE.COMPANY

Eh, I understand that and all, but I'm still not willing to go through the trouble. There are thousands of hosts that don't have this requirement so I guess for me there's no real need to be stuck with a host that does.

i dont see anything wrong about photo-id requirement.
    if you dont have a scanner/fax, these days you can even use a mobile to take a shot of personal id.

arranging a phone call is something i find a bit annoying, but let it be if it's really necessary.

Usually, photo ID needed when you pay using (ex. Paypal)with different email with your account detil when signup. But, if you use same email between signup and Paypal, I think provider must pass it.

I have an experienced with a provider that requires me to send my ID and photo ID, but I refuse because my email in signup and Paypal are same account.

After some debate, they provisioned my box

Nothing wrong with a host which trys to keep it just a bit safer.

at least you know, all the other users on your node are ID verified also, which means less risk of abuse on the node

- signup from a country that has a record for fraudulent activity
    - use free email address
    - mismatch your address
    - unreachable phone number
    - use different email address & paypal address
    - PayPal is unverified or newly verified

We use these factors and calculate to a particular score. If you are above this score (every 7 out of 10 orders are) we require photo ID.

Keep a copy of your driver's license (if you feel passport is too much) on your PC

Quote Originally Posted by silphco View Post
    Well, I'm certainly not a "spammer" but I probably won't go want to go through the trouble just for a $10 VPS either. I'll look for a company that doesn't have this requirement then.
    Actually I would much rather sign up with a host that has strong anti-fraud and anti-spam measures like this, because it means the quality of service is likely to be much higher. If they care about who their customers are, then they're more likely to care about not overselling and not ignoring problems caused by abusers on their nodes.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Hi Koroush,

I'm a big fan of your site.
    Nice to be able to say hi!

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal View Post
    Actually I would much rather sign up with a host that has strong anti-fraud and anti-spam measures like this, because it means the quality of service is likely to be much higher. If they care about who their customers are, then they're more likely to care about not overselling and not ignoring problems caused by abusers on their nodes.

We have done it in the past if the order is marked as fraud.
    Photo ID or a full no questions asked refund...
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderion View Post
    Hi Koroush,

I'm a big fan of your site.
    Nice to be able to say hi!
    Hi there
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS

Quote Originally Posted by silphco View Post
    Hi,

I just signed up for a host, and after I paid and everything, they asked me to sign a Paypal authorization form and to mail them a copy of my photo ID! Has anyone else run into situations like this? Why do they need my photo ID? Do most hosts require photo IDs upon sign up now? I'm just trying to run a small hobby site, and honestly, I can't be bothered to have to find a fax machine/scanner just for a web host (it's an unmanaged plan for less than $10).

What do you guys think?
    for security n when someone pay online is hard for companies to get that money so that wait they ask for your photo id but you should ask then why.. you have the right to ask...

You really have to blame the bankers for this. The technology for generating a one time use number/code for a transaction has been around since the 80's! And it would be really cheap to do today.

A business shouldn't have to protect the bank, the bank should protect the transaction and their business client / merchant, that's what they do, that's why they are in business.

I'm really tired of it, they shifted their responsibility onto the small business owner and then make the customer have to go through extra hoops to purchase something, and some lose business because of that and also have to deal with losing $$ due to fraud.

The banks have the technology available, you can search for the patents, it's been there for years. I even saw the tech being displayed at comdex.

The banks figure if the merchants are stupid enough to go along with this then they will keep doing it this way, it saves them money, and until the merchants go ballistic on those greedy bastards (isn't that the same as when I say banker).

I think one class action suit for damages of loss of business should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    Nothing wrong with a host which trys to keep it just a bit safer.

at least you know, all the other users on your node are ID verified also, which means less risk of abuse on the node
    Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal View Post
    Amen. Not much to add other than this, this is why, be GLAD they're asking for this, send it in, help make the world a better place

And you can thank all the S{c|p}ammers for these measures.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck