Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My horrible experience with HiVelocity

Hi Velocity
    hivelocity.com
    1-888-869-4678

My websites are hosted by velocity, and on Thursday September 3rd, 2009 I noticed our websites and customer websites are down.

So I contacted HiVelocity and asked them what was the problem? they said the abuse dept. had terminated the server and there was no reason given to why they did so and no notes left on the account whatsoever explaining why!

I asked them why would they do such thing? the rep. said that they have received a spam complaint but with no details to which domain and what spam it was, the rep. that I was speaking to was also shocked that they terminated the server without giving me a notice or any warning as this being the first complaint ever received and the rep. was also surprised that there are no notes on the account explaining why they terminated it!?!?!

I asked to be transferred to the abuse dept. and the rep. said there is no way they can transfer me and all they can do is take a message and pass it to them and someone should call me back, so I left a message but no one called me back.

I really wanted to know why they shut it down, I believe I was treated unfairly and that I have the right to know the reason why they terminated it!!!

So I called later and asked them if they can give me the backup files so I can move to another host, the rep. said that after they tried to put the server online the server wouldn't go online as there is a problem with the hard drive, the hard drive is showing bad sectors, so they started running recovery software to try and recover the data, the QUESTION is!! how come the server and hard drive was fine before they terminated it?? and now all of the sudden after they terminated it, the hard drive failed!!???

They ran the recovery several times they said and it keeps failing, and they are still trying to recover the data, I am very upset because of all this.. I have tons of client websites on the server and all my clients are complaining, I don't know if I can get these clients to trust me again, most likely I've lost all my clients.

One client had a TV commercial running when the server was down and they lost thousands of dollars, I received multiple calls and letters from their lawyer.

I just called HiVelocity again about 2 hours ago and spoke to Tommy, he said they are still trying to recover the data, the first recoveries failed but now they are trying to recover it using a commercial recovery software, he said these recovery software's will not bring back the files exactly the same way it used to be before.. so there wont be public_html directory for each website and files inside ... so I guess this is impossible to get the data how it used to be.

But when I had spoken to Steve earlier at Hi Velocity, Steve said that when the data is recovered then it should come back the same way it used to be before where I can easily restore it to another cpanel server.

I hope that HiVelocity will be able to recover all my data.

This is very unfair for me, I had a very bad experience with HiVelocity so far, #1 they did not give me a reason to why they terminated the server, #2 if it was a spam issue then they should have first given me a warning and details to who was spamming so I can take action on the website that's spamming, #3 they claim that the hard drive failed.

I don't know what to believe anymore.. did they really terminate the server because of spam? or maybe they noticed the drive failing so they made it look like it was because of spam? or there is nothing wrong with the drive and they are lying and pretending that it's failing?

I hope that they will be able to recover my data, this is the most important thing for me and I will be happy if the data is recovered, what I want is cpanel backups of files for every website that was on the server so I can restore these backups on another server.

I will keep everyone updated here to what they will do, if they will recover the data or what.

Can someone please help me? any suggestions? does anyone know how to recover the data and any suggestions you can suggest to HiVelocity? I am so upset, I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight, I hope that they can give me the files how it was before.

Please let me know what I should do.. and what should HiVelocity do and any suggestions to HiVelocity as to what they should do to recover the data.

Thank you all so much for your help
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know if I should wait and see if they can recover the data? or should request that they send me the hard drive so I can send it to a professional data recovery? or if I should give up? : (
      0 Not allowed!

+1 for giving up. By the time you got the drives and sent them for recovery you would loose even more money and your clients would be lost by then anyways.
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

wow shocking experiance.
    well if you were spamming or one of your clients, it is a ground for termination but i would expect some notice before they suspend a server.

as for the drive fail? no one can tell ... did u have a RAID array on that server? or was it a single disk machine?

you could guess the cause of your data loss, but i dont think a company like hivelocity would risk its rep with such actions.

could it be your server got cracked & rooted then used for spam then formated by the crackers to hide traces?

have you been able to contact the managers of the company directly?
    keep us posted, this sounds too wierd...
    beast5.com © - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, spamming is grounds for termination but even if you "terminate" you just turn the box off and usually the client will comply within 48 hours. If they don't you go ahead and do whatever you want.

Before you even get to that stage though - at least email the client and a final phone call before suspending / termination within that (usually is) 24 hour period. Dedicated server clients deserve much better service and support. Given VOIP makes calls a few cents to any where in the World and a headset can be had for $5, no excuses.

If they don't have an emergency contact, and you've done your bit to liaise with them there is only so much you can do.

Sam - sometimes companies don't allow you to speak with abuse departments/complaints directly because they commonly receive death threats.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.
      0 Not allowed!

it your job to have proper backup,blaming hv is not correct they trying the level best to help you

hope so you understand
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com
      0 Not allowed!

Sometimes you learn the hard way.

At the end of the day in this case though - they've effectively killed a working server and all the data in it. Since they are providing a mission critical service you'd still expect a little better no matter which way you look at it.

I know of a few places that images all the data on the server before termination/any work is done on it and storing it for 30 days. Either retrievable for a price or for authorities when contacted.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    wow shocking experiance.
    well if you were spamming or one of your clients, it is a ground for termination but i would expect some notice before they suspend a server.
    Yes.. but unfortunately they did not.

as for the drive fail? no one can tell ... did u have a RAID array on that server? or was it a single disk machine?
    single.

could it be your server got cracked & rooted then used for spam then formated by the crackers to hide traces?
    Nope!

have you been able to contact the managers of the company directly?
    I asked to speak to a manager almost everytime I call them I ask and they say no manager is in right now.
      0 Not allowed!

If someone's harddrive going bad can take you out of business, you are 99% to blame.
    It's called BACKUP.
    With that simple concept, no one can hurt you for more than a few hours.

If you don't care enough about your data to keep a copy, why should HV on an unmanaged dedicated server? If the hard drive goes bad, they owe a hard drive. Backups on an unmanaged server are not their issue. Regardless of why it was lost.

Here's the rest of this issue for those interested in this busted spammer:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=887556
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    Here's the rest of this issue for those interested in this busted spammer:
    Woah - seems HV definitely have grounds for instant termination on this one should it be the same person.

I'd refund their money and tell them to move else where as well!
      0 Not allowed!

Samjohnson, can you please use this link to submit additional proof to the Webhostingtalk Help Desk about your account(s) there?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6377034

We'll respect your privacy. Thanks!
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

Mugo and Katatonic, you guys seem confused, the url you posted is a differen't person with a totally different story.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
    Samjohnson, can you please use this link to submit additional proof to the Webhostingtalk Help Desk about your account(s) there?

We'll respect your privacy. Thanks!
    Hi Mike,

Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

Different person, same issue.
    "Totally different story"? Server cut for spamming, upon boot up the hard drive is corrupt, now awaiting data recovery.
    Yeah. That's "different". Totally.

It's the same issue, obviously. Unless HV cut off two spammers, went back and fourth with them, agreed to turn on the server, had hard drive issues, then started a data recovery process on two different accounts in the same day. We're not idgits.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by samjohnson View Post
    Hi Mike,

Sorry I didn't understand, what do you mean?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
    We just need to know that you are actually a client.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

HiveLoCity is getting some bad reviews lately.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know what's going on here, i'm totally confused.
    from what it looks like I believe HiVelocity terminated two differen't servers at the same time, and using the same excuse for both.

This is totally confusing, this is another post and has nothing to do with http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=887556, i am a different person, if you dont believe me then thats your problem.
      0 Not allowed!

i am a different person, if you dont believe me then thats your problem.
    Your a noob here, Your screen name sounds completely fake. I'll wait till you submit your proof to the helpdesk here before I will believe this.
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

I just called and spoke to Tommy now, and advised him that there was another server that was shut down at the same time, which is http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=887556
    And I asked him to make sure that me and him are talking about the right server and to make sure that it is my server that the hard drive failed on and not the other one because Hi Velocity might have been confused.. he kept on replying to me with negative rude comments and he wouldn't answer my question.

I guess Hi Velocity has a habit lately for terminating servers just because they feel like it.

I searched google for reviews on hivelocity and found tons of stuff, I should have read them before I signed up with them:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=356443

http://www.forum.psoft.net/showthread.php?t=7887

http://www.hostdetective.net/details/544.html

http://www.hosthideout.com/archive/i...hp/t-8119.html - worth a look!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...7168~mode=flat

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=20452

http://hivelocity.blogspot.com/

http://www.affiliate9.com/avoid-hivelocity.html
      0 Not allowed!

I had 4 servers turned off by hivelocity in the last week without notice. I will be posting my own story shortly. They got themselves in trouble with their network partners and the only way to fix it is to remove all of these servers. There were more professional ways to take care of this. They want us to pay $500 spam clean up fee's but never gave us a chance to fix the problems. If we fix it, the ip's get cleaned and there are no clean up fees but we were never given that opportunity. They wanted $110 each per hard drive to ship them to a new data center once the $500 fees were paid. Do the math, 4 servers times $500 clean up fees plus 2 drives each server $110.ea (2x$110 x 4 servers) $880 in drives, $2000 in clean up and by the time the drives are set up in a new data center, there wont be any clients left so its a waste of money. Yes there were spamming issues that were being taken care of. They were shared hosting servers and in this day and age, every shared hosting server has blacklist issues at one time or another. I am not saying that the issue wasnt valid. It is the way they handled it. How about a warning email asking me to do something about it. I have other servers with other data centers and when an event would arise, I would get an email telling me the issue and giving me x amount of days to fix it, which we always did.

HiVelocity just killed a 10 yr old hosting company. I have given them over $25,000 and up until this mess, have NEVER been late on a payment, but that doesnt mean anything to them. I dont need the stress any more. Now there are over 300 reseller clients that have their data sitting in a bench somewhere in HiVelocity's data center.

The only good news is that I somehow dont feel singled out any longer. This is what, the third post from other people that have been mistreated as well by them in the same way?

Hope this is a good warning for anyone that wishs to deal with them. Do so at your own risk, your data may not be there when you wake up in the morning. Well unless you want to pay the hostage fees involved that is.

Buyer beware.
      0 Not allowed!

again another new user complaining about them, you guys need to start submitting some proof. right now this is looking like the same user trying to vent.
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

The only deviation would be you are a client of the person actually purchasing the dedi from HV. I could believe the spam thing, but a corrupt hard drive and awaiting them to recover data? That's not going to happen. Especially on the same day.
    Guess you just have to prove it to WHT. No one else's opinion really matters.
      0 Not allowed!

Am I drunk or do I see a bunch of newbies just all of a sudden spewing out on Hivelocity?

Click that report button newbies or be smited by the liasons!
    Last edited by MattS; 09-06-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: sig removed so MikeV doesn't spite me for sig spam lol
      0 Not allowed!

I would be glad to. I only posted because I saw someone else was having the same issue. Where do I put my information?
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6377219

Throw some information in that such as domain that was hosted with them, etc.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    Your a noob here, Your screen name sounds completely fake. I'll wait till you submit your proof to the helpdesk here before I will believe this.
    You need to educate yourself mr., better if you just ask helpdesk to provide you with IP records, you will notice my ip and hostname is totally different than the other person HostPolice, and we are in different countries too.

Look what the other people are saying here! many servers at Hi Velocity are being terminated !!! so its not only us two.

so before you jump into false conclusion and blame me you should first do your research, its clear that Hi Velocity is a bad company to be with, and if someone wants to signup with them after reading all these views on the internet then I will laugh, I made a mistake and did not research them before signing up.
      0 Not allowed!

You need to educate yourself mr., better if you just ask helpdesk to provide you with IP records, you will notice my ip and hostname is totally different than the other person HostPolice, and we are in different countries too.

Look what the other people are saying here! many servers at Hi Velocity are being terminated !!! so its not only us two.

so before you jump into false conclusion and blame me you should first do your research, its clear that Hi Velocity is a bad company to be with, and if someone wants to signup with them after reading all these views on the internet then I will laugh, I made a mistake and did not research them before signing up.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6377226

Use that provide proof if you haven't already. WHT checks to authenticate reviews etc.
      0 Not allowed!

you're a moron, that's all I have to say about your previous comment.
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

NYHostForSale can you pls send me your contact info, msn, yahoo or phone#.

thx
      0 Not allowed!

Click the link, supply your domains so the mods can verify this is a real customer. Otherwise no one is really going to credit this complaint.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.
      0 Not allowed!

I have just sent in all of the info needed. Please let me know if you need more.
      0 Not allowed!

i also asked hostpolice to send me his contact info.

don't worry we will prove it to you guys. just wait.. be patient pls..
      0 Not allowed!

$100 says this is all the same guy, "host police" and that he will submit multiple domains that belonged to his clients.

We need to get HiVelocity's side of this.
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

Here's the question that needs to be answered truthfully, one person or 1000 -

Were you spamming? As in sending unsolicited bulk email directly and knowingly?
      0 Not allowed!

Sam, I am not looking to join a "I hate HV club", I was just mistreated by them and posted to show that it is happening to quite a few people and to give some credibility to the issue. My post is sufficient and I just gave them sufficient data to back it up. I dont intend to beat this with a stick so I will not be emailing you my contact info. WHT has my information which is all that matters. Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

NHost, you signed up on webhostingtalk.com on september as well, people think you and I are the same.

please send me your contact info, msn, yahoo or phone#, so we can chat about this.

Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

I wasnt spamming it it was strongly stated so in my TOS that it would not be tolerated. The fact is that there were hundreds of resellers on the servers that werent as strict on monitoring as I was and spam got through. I never said that there wasnt spam. My complaint is that the servers were shut off with absolutely no notice and not opportunity to clean them up.

The reason why everyone is all coming out with complaints right now is because HV got in trouble with their network provider and walked through and pulled plugs on any servers with listings to make them happy. Now there are multiple complaints all at once.
      0 Not allowed!

and has any proof been submitted?......
    Best Regards,

Mark
      0 Not allowed!

It would be funny, if they all turns out to be the same person, sam, there is something called proxy,and it hides your IP?
      0 Not allowed!

I submitted my data... will WHT confirm it?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast