hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : All Wordpress Users Must Upgrade Now!

Forum Jump

All Wordpress Users Must Upgrade Now!

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
WHT Addict

Exclamation

All Wordpress Users Must Upgrade Now!

Seems to be a pretty serious situation going on. If you own a hosting company maybe make a note somewhere on your site alerting your clients. If you don't upgrade, your blog could potentially be hacked all the way down to the DB. Pretty scary.

>> Read

//CubicHost.org

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Disabled

Old news though, to be honest. Anyone who doesn't keep Wordpress up to date runs the risk of this and other known vulnerabilities and exploits, so there's nothing new here.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:16 AM
WHT Addict

Old news for many people here, but I doubt its old news for many of your clients if you run a business.

//CubicHost.org

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Disabled

Well clearly I do run a business, as my signature suggests.

The problem with this thread is that this is one of many known Wordpress vulnerabilities, so there's nothing new here at all. It's the age old "keep your scripts up to date or you may get hacked" adage.

Don't get me wrong, I and I'm sure others appreciate the notification, but it's common sense really.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

This is why it's important to protect yourself, like block at least some SQL-injection attacks using wp firewall plugin, (password) protect wp-admin directory, wp-login.php file or using login lockdown plugin to prevent bruteforce attack and so on...

Old 09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Warp Speed!

FYI, there's an upgrade plugin that will do it all for you. It's called "Wordpress Automatic upgrade."

Best

L- We LOVE helping our clients!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
FYI, there's an upgrade plugin that will do it all for you. It's called "Wordpress Automatic upgrade."
no such plugin needed. its just a matter of clicking one button on your dashboard should have an automatic upgrade function when you aren't up-to-speed.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesR View Post
Old news though, to be honest. Anyone who doesn't keep Wordpress up to date runs the risk of this and other known vulnerabilities and exploits, so there's nothing new here.
This may be old news to system admins but there are many WP blog owners who are not aware. I have had numerous outdated WP blogs on my servers attacked with this particular exploit the past few days, so another announcement won't hurt.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Old news or not - advising people to upgrade their scripts is always a good thing.

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Disabled

I agree, but it pretty much goes without saying Otherwise you'd have a forum post every week; Upgrade Wordpress Upgrade PHPBB2, Upgrade vBulletin, Upgrade Mambo, Upgrade Joomla, etc etc.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Web Host Extraordinaire!!!

Quote:
I agree, but it pretty much goes without saying Otherwise you'd have a forum post every week; Upgrade Wordpress Upgrade PHPBB2, Upgrade vBulletin, Upgrade Mambo, Upgrade Joomla, etc etc.
True, probably better to start a blog and post it all there - less spammy

Funny enough the initial link is to a blog post haha

http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Old 09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Disabled

CubicH-Gray: I hope you haven't taken what I've said personally, as that wasn't my intention at all. It's great you're informing people of these script issues, but there are so many different widely used scripts out there it's not really practical to do so here. Things like Kernel vulnerabilities that are relatively infrequent however, are definitely great things to post here.

Keep on fighting the good fight

Old 09-05-2009, 02:09 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
CubicH-Gray: I hope you haven't taken what I've said personally, as that wasn't my intention at all. It's great you're informing people of these script issues, but there are so many different widely used scripts out there it's not really practical to do so here. Things like Kernel vulnerabilities that are relatively infrequent however, are definitely great things to post here.

Keep on fighting the good fight

Understood. It's just there have been voluminous updates for WP, but while many fixed security vulnerabilities, none have been as serious as this in my opinion. Some people don't check their blogs daily and since this threat seems so imminent as described in the link, I felt like it was necessary to share.

//CubicHost.org

Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Disabled

Thanks for the notice. It's true that scripts and software should be kept up to date regularly but this one sounds a bit more serious. Not all updates are released to prevent databases from getting hacked.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
Thanks for the notice. It's true that scripts and software should be kept up to date regularly but this one sounds a bit more serious. Not all updates are released to prevent databases from getting hacked.
But its always safe to upgrade to the latest version.
All users should upgrade whenever there is a newer release. At present its current stable release is 2.8.4

Regards,
Alons

Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone