domain with new host, please help.

Currently I use a webhost, and need to switch to a new vps.

when I register a new vps with this domain, it should be no problem?

My confusion is that I still want to use the old host for one week or some time. if the dns of old and new hosts is the same(such as ns1.xxx.com), is that ok?

Do i need to tell the new host side that I need the different dns(such as ns99.xxx.com or not?

What is the best way in my case?

Thank you very much!

Having the same name server is not an issue. The traffic is going to be directed to the IP address that you assigned at your domain registrar.

In other words, when you get ready to change over, just edit the IP's associated with the nameservers that you have set up with your registrar.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please do. I am 98% sure the information I passed along is correct.
    Mike

redmeds, it sounds about right.

When I went from shared to VPS, I used my new IP address to upload the content, e.g. http://123.45.6.789/~accountname. When I was done, I added the new nameservers and made the switch.

To avoid dns propagation downtime, I edited the home pages at the shared server to due a quick redirect via meta refresh to the IP/account address. I watched my stats at the shared server, and when I went two days with no visits to that old site, I then closed out the account.

Worked excellent for me by doing it that way.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past and no future. --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    Having the same name server is not an issue. The traffic is going to be directed to the IP address that you assigned at your domain registrar.

In other words, when you get ready to change over, just edit the IP's associated with the nameservers that you have set up with your registrar.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please do. I am 98% sure the information I passed along is correct.
    I believe this is the best way to go.

I checked my domain setttings, I find that there is no ip tied on dns. only dns like ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com.

so do i need first to point ns1 and ns2 point to the current host ip?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kuer View Post
    I believe this is the best way to go.

I checked my domain setttings, I find that there is no ip tied on dns. only dns like ns1.xxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com.

so do i need first to point ns1 and ns2 point to the current host ip?

thanks.
    Ok... you don't have custom nameservers and currently just pointing your domain to the ns1 and ns2 given by your current webhost.

I am assuming you are staying with same webhost as you said old and the new NS is the same.

Will wait for your answer before I continue.
    Mike