Washing clothes without using a dryer and washer?

I was thinking that maybe I could save a few bucks by washing my clothes by hand and hanging them up. I do not have a washer and dryer. I could go to the laundry mat but I would like to save a bit of money.

I was thinking about how people might of did laundry in the 1800s or earlier.

I do have laundry soap. No worries.

Doesn't washing clothes by hand take a really long time? And where I live we are apparentally not allowed to have clothes lines lol.

I could just hang up in the bathroom and use the bathtub to wash clothes. I do not know if it takes a long time..not really sure. I probably would just use one piece of clothing to try it out.

Before mechanical washing machines most people used a washboard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washboard

To wash clothes, you have to agitate the cloth. The soap clings to the dirt, but you have to agitate it by rubbing it up and down a washboard, or in a washing machine as it rotates back and forth agitating the clothes against the fins.

The agitation is what breaks the dirt loose from the fibers.

How much money do you spend each month on laundry? Aren't most laundromats like $1 per load?

Washing your clothes by hand is probably not worth the money you would save and its time consuming. Also, getting dirt out is not that easy so I guess it depends on how soiled your clothes are. Scrubbing them can stretch them out and wear done the fabric faster. Have you thought about cutting back in other areas to save money or maybe getting a part-time job?
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

I would not recommend washing things by hand at all. When I lived in residents I didn't have a dishwasher, and I know how annoyed I was having to leave time out of each day to do dishes. I would imagine having to do laundry would take considerably more time, and be that much more annoying.

You might want to check out Wonder Wash.

woot...

check out angrygreengirl.com

cheers CP

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

I have a full time job at a calling center but was just thinking about ways to save money. Thanks for the advice though.

I appreciate your effort to save money, but this is one thing that doesn't fall into that category. Given the cost of going to a laundromat where you can do a wash and dry for just a couple of bucks, I suggest you take that route. Bring a good book with you and do some reading.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    woot...

check out angrygreengirl.com

cheers CP

owm
    this girl is totally bogus....space heater DOES NOT save power over central heat. I have a house that is well insulated and with space heaters and cheaper power was $300/mon+ to heat my house (nice high quality ones) and with central heat, $98.....that math doesn't take long to find out which one is gobbling the power down. I wasn't even living here full time and noly ran them when I was here. Central heat stays on most of the time at a low temp in winter, and cool at high temp when not in...

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    this girl is totally bogus....space heater DOES NOT save power over central heat.
    Yes it does...

If you are only running them one at a time instead of all at once - no sense heating the den, bathroom, parlour, living room, dining room, and halls if you're asleep in the bedroom (it's coldest at night too).

of course a thicker blanket (like a big quilt) will reduce the need for external heat altogether saving even more money.

same principle applies to window air conditioners - dress very light and use fans more, and don't cool rooms you're not in.

----

washing clothes by hand might work if you let them soak for a really long time first - just letting them soak will get alot of the dirt out. a quick scrub against itself (eg: scrub the clothing against itself) and you're done.

I've been doing this for a few months 'cause I'm too cheap, lazy, and busy to get a new washing machine. Fill the bathtub in the morning before work with dirty clothes, put some soap in, and let it fill up (this agitates the clothing if the water pressure is good - mine is). let stand all day till you get back, and spend a little time scrubbing the clothes together as you rinse them and hang on the shower curtain to dry.

works like a charm.

then hop in the water and have a bath if it isn't too dirty (or if you're impatient)
    Last edited by ramnet; 09-05-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

I have washed my clothes by hand. We didn't use to have a washing machine so all clothes were washed by hands. It doesn't take more than an hour to wash the clothes. If the clothes have some hard strain (like blood) on them, then scrubbing it in baking soda and cold water will get the strain out. You don't need to soak dirty clothes for long hours in a bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by rlshosting View Post
    I was thinking that maybe I could save a few bucks by washing my clothes by hand and hanging them up. I do not have a washer and dryer. I could go to the laundry mat but I would like to save a bit of money.

I was thinking about how people might of did laundry in the 1800s or earlier.

I do have laundry soap. No worries.
    http:[email protected]/3525580853/

join the club.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

I have washed my clothes by hand. We didn't use to have a washing machine so all clothes were washed by hands. It doesn't take more than an hour to wash the clothes. If the clothes have some hard strain (like blood) on them, then scrubbing it in baking soda and cold water will get the strain out. You don't need to soak dirty clothes for long hours in a bathtub.
    Yes we have all been there before Good ol day's.

Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    Yes it does...

If you are only running them one at a time instead of all at once - no sense heating the den, bathroom, parlour, living room, dining room, and halls if you're asleep in the bedroom (it's coldest at night too).

of course a thicker blanket (like a big quilt) will reduce the need for external heat altogether saving even more money.

same principle applies to window air conditioners - dress very light and use fans more, and don't cool rooms you're not in.
    ok whatever, doesn't work if you have an open floorplan like I do. There is no distinct room, and only one partial wall. Stating it as fact is not too good, because there are a very large percentage of open floorplan houses.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    ok whatever, doesn't work if you have an open floorplan like I do. There is no distinct room, and only one partial wall. Stating it as fact is not too good, because there are a very large percentage of open floorplan houses.
    Yes I keep forgetting the newer houses don't have doors

I could never live in a place like that.

I'm in a pre-WWII house so it has gas jets in every room and floor to ceiling double-hung windows - even a seperate door for the slave to go through - they sure don't make them like that anymore
    RAM Host -- Premium & Budget Linux Hosting From The USA & EU
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel CloudLinux Shared Hosting
    █ & Cheap Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

I will wash my clothes in the washer and dry my clothes in the dryer from now on.

I think its a great idea to save some bucks.
    But how much is your laundry bill anyways ???
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone