Hosting options for a small web design company

Hello,

I just started a web design company a few weeks back and we deal with the open source web development using PHP/MySQL. Now that I have a few clients who needs their webpage designed, I am not sure of which hosting plan I should go for. This being a startup venture, I would like to keep the costs low while not compromising too much on quality (frankly, I am not sure about the budget, but am ready to spend a max of US$100 per month towards this). Once the web design/development is done, I need to host my clients' sites to fulfill the orders placed - the sites that are getting designed belong to multiple varieties starting from a basic 5 page static site to multifunctional e-commerce solution (my clients are located throughout the world - majority being US/Canada/India based).

Being a novice in this field, I am not sure which linux hosting option should I go for - dedicated or reseller, though reseller option seems to be the safe bet. Kindly give your inputs about the best option for me and also suggest me a good hosting provider to start with.

Thanks & Regards,
    Karthik.
    Last edited by ece2k2; 09-04-2009 at 01:16 AM.

A reseller plan should be fine for starters, you may want to look into VPS hosting as your client base becomes larger or if you require more resources. A reseller account should be able to accommodate for all your needs and will be able to cut costs. A dedicated server won't be necessary from what I'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    A reseller plan should be fine for starters
    Thanks! Can you please suggest me a good company from which I can purchase the reseller plan or can I go ahead with the hostgator's plan.

What will be the optimal bandwidth I should look at ?

Depending on how much disk space and bandwidth you see yourself using, your budget, as well as your projected rate of growth, you will be looking at either a reseller or a VPS. If you're starting out, a reseller is best, as you can always upgrade to a VPS when your needs increase. Check out the offers section for a great selection of reseller hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
    Thanks! Can you please suggest me a good company from which I can purchase the reseller plan or can I go ahead with the hostgator's plan.
    Do you need billing software like WHMCS or WHMAutoPilot? Hostgator gives it "free" with their resellers, but you're paying for it in the price. If you don't need it, you can find equal if not better resellers for a lower cost. You can also save money if you buy your billing license and hosting separately.

Exactly, I would say that if you are starting on a venture of webhosting and to resell your services in the form of hosting for the developments of their webpages (paid/not paid) then a reseller plan would suffice for your needs.

You do not need anything overally flash, A dedicated server I would not recommend at the start, If it ventures to not going anywhere then It would be a waste of money. A basic reseller package would be well sutied to your needs.

I would avoid choosing a reseller host that comes from a Master or Alpha reseller, This could land you in some sticky situations. Look for something reasonable and not far fetched because reliability is always your best friend.

What will be the optimal bandwidth I should look at ?
    Fact of the matter here is, How much would you be allocating to your clients, Given this you can predict how much you should start yourself off with!

A reseller package would be manageable by the host where to a VPS you may want to have a little more understanding even though it is managed by most providers. Upgrades to the firewall as such are not managed by the host so this is something that would be done by you if you understand it a bit more.

You can always upgrade or get assistance via the webhost via any of the two viable services. You just need to research the webhost you take the fancy in and ask them a few questions before any progression is made on your behalf.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 09-04-2009 at 01:25 AM.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    I would avoid choosing a reseller host that comes from a Master or Alpha reseller, This could land you in some sticky situations. Look for something reasonable and not far fetched because reliability is always your best friend.
    I am slightly lost here Sean! So, is hostgator a master/alpha reseller ? Sorry for asking too many questions, but I am a noob to this field. It will be great if you can offer pointers to a few reasonable & reliable resellers, from whom I can choose from. Thanks a bunch.

HostGator doesn't offer Master/Alpha resellers to my knowledge.

Well Master or Alpha Resellers are not as common, But I would advise if you see one that allows you to offer UNLIMITED to your clients on a Reseller plan then I would be careful. Looks as if Hostgator does not do this on their services.

It would be aweful in the long term, Why?

MAIN HOST > Offers Master/Alpha at (Unlimited Resources) > Reseller Joins and Resells > Another joins that reseller > another joins > another joins (etc). All offering unlimited to their clients it can lead to complications and server disruptions.

Unlimited Bandwidth and Space is a false market of advertising. You could never use the allocation they provide without having restrictions in place.

I would just in general look for a service that you feel does not look to bad and fits your price bracket. No point in going for a service is too good to be true.

-ATH

As others have mentioned, a reseller plan should be fine to get you up and going. Take a look at Innohosting or Sharkspace and don't forget to check the Reseller Offers Forum

Smile Decision time

Thanks for all the replies and quick help offered. I have decided to go with a reseller hosting package, but still not sure which company to choose - Hostgator, InnoHosting & SharkSpace are my choices.

Prices and packages seems to be almost identical between the aforementioned 3 hosting companies (after applying their current offers/promotions), so kindly guide me to the relatively better one of the lot. Thanks again

Reseller web hosting account that is what you need. You will need to include web hosting services to your web site and send there your customers or create accounts for them personally. I suppose that would be the easiest way on the start

If I had a say in your choice, I'd go Hostgator as a previous customer they were excellent!

HostGator's reseller plans seem to receive a lot more positive feedback than their shared plans. InnoHosting also holds quite a solid reputation here on WHT, don't see many negative reviews about them at all. Both choices are fine.

Well, I agree with ATH-Sean ... Unlimited bandwidth is a false advertisement ...

These companies put limitations on your bandwidth (like you can only use 1 mbps per second ...), Your file system, Your resource reselling capabilities etc...

Moreover, your client may suffer performance issues when your server is oversold.

I would suggest you to try out companies that doesn't offer unlimited hosting plans.

Thanks folks. I have decided to go for Hostgator's reseller hosting plan and would probably choose its copper plan - $35 monthly for 40gb disk space & 350gb bandwidth.

Best regards,
    Karthik.

Quote Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
    Thanks folks. I have decided to go for Hostgator's reseller hosting plan and would probably choose its copper plan - $35 monthly for 40gb disk space & 350gb bandwidth.

Best regards,
    Karthik.
    That's a good idea if you want to manage your clients and support them as HostGator does not offer end-user support. The only reseller provider that offers end-user support that I am aware of is InnoHosting but I have no personal experience with them so make sure to do some research on them.

If you don't want to directly manage and support the clients then you could always find a hosting provider with a nice affiliate program and then just place your design clients with that provider
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Best regards,
    Karthik.
    Excellent, Please do let us know how you go with Hostgator. Majority of their reviews are great, So it would be great to hear how you come along.