Hybrid View

Unhappy How many webhost actually host clients on vps instead of dedi ?

Well ive been buying shared hosting off a few different host i see here on WHT, and ive came across one that actually put my shared hosting account that i ordered on a vps. Not that it matters but how many web host actually put people on a vps instead of an Actual Dedicated server, I wont name which company but their well known here. But ill let you know by pm i guess.

Doesn't that just mean you're being hosted on a "cloud" environment?

It wouldn't really matter.

Some hosts prefer to keep shared customers on VPS since there's extra flexibility in migrating the server. Others keep them on VPS just for cost .

What does matter is:
    - how reliable is the network and hardware
    - how many customers they put on a server or on a VPS
    - how good support is

You can get better service in all aspects if you are on a VPS then on a dedicated. And vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by sheic View Post
    It wouldn't really matter.

Some hosts prefer to keep shared customers on VPS since there's extra flexibility in migrating the server. Others keep them on VPS just for cost .

What does matter is:
    - how reliable is the network and hardware
    - how many customers they put on a server or on a VPS
    - how good support is

You can get better service in all aspects if you are on a VPS then on a dedicated. And vice versa.
    Sorry, but I disagree, I think it does matter. Hosting companies should put you on exactly what they say they are putting you on and if they don't have that plan open then they should offer you a bump up as an option. If someone orders a dedicated server they should get one and not be put on a VPS system.

Quote Originally Posted by XSV View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree, I think it does matter. Hosting companies should put you on exactly what they say they are putting you on and if they don't have that plan open then they should offer you a bump up as an option. If someone orders a dedicated server they should get one and not be put on a VPS system.
    Yes. They should. I agree.

One of us misunderstood the question .

I was talking about the fact that for a shared customer it doesn't matter if it's VPS or dedicated. Other things do matter as I said above.

I'm not talking about lying to customers.

Of course it's unethical to tell your customer that he is on a dedicated while he is on a VPS, regardless if he buys shared or dedicated.

EDIT: I don't see anywhere that hostingdispatch was lied.
    From my understanding this thread is not about lying it's just about if shared hosting providers use dedicated servers or VPS-es to place shared customers on.

Quote Originally Posted by hostingdispatch View Post
    Well ive been buying shared hosting off a few different host i see here on WHT, and ive came across one that actually put my shared hosting account that i ordered on a vps. Not that it matters but how many web host actually put people on a vps instead of an Actual Dedicated server, I wont name which company but their well known here. But ill let you know by pm i guess.
    // Edit, Ive been buying different plans too compare how good the company's are :]

We use VPS for most clients, just because it is easier to manage. We can migrate with no downtime, we can apply updates quicker, and scale resources without a reboot. It is just much more stable for us, although it takes more servers to run the same amount of clients, because we keep so few clients per machine.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

XSV,

I think the OP ordered shared hosting and is questioning the machine / environment powering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post
    XSV,

I think the OP ordered shared hosting and is questioning the machine / environment powering it.
    Correct, which he explained.

He then poses the question of "How many webhost actually host clients on vps instead of dedi?", which is also the header of this thread.

Correct, which he explained.

He then poses the question of "How many webhost actually host clients on vps instead of dedi?", which is also the header of this thread.
    Correct, but I still fail to see where he makes mention of a company advertising dedi and placing them on VPS!? He's more asking who does it

I would just rather be on a dedicated server instead of a vps, Unless the company actually owns / leases the entire vps node. But i my self run a hosting company and run about 3 servers and 1 vps node, Thats why i am making this thread because i was unaware that web host advertise their being put on a dedi system but instead be put on a vps :|

I honestly really like VPS's just because as stated earlier, it's much easier to scale and migrate.
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    I honestly really like VPS's just because as stated earlier, it's much easier to scale and migrate.
    You can move a customer just as easily from a dedicated server as you can VPS. But then you're not going to need to move them as on a dedicated server you would be already on a full server and not just a VPS with a small percentage of the servers CPU/RAM.

I think some hosts find it easier to manage, and it can mean they host more servers rather than one big server.

Hello,
    I am very sure that there are TONS of hosts who operate from a month-to-month VPS Account, however most will not admit it. I believe that a VPS is a great option for startups.

I actually started out with a VPS and now have a few dedi's. I am just now planning on moving the last of the sites off of the VPS this week.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat