Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    I recently changed over to quarterly billing, but after reading the for sale thread I requested my money back.
    I also canceled a number of my packages.
    I have 7 shared hosting accounts and sized down to 3 VPS from 9.
    this morning I cannot access any email and cannot access the connectswitch website.
    I have important business emails that I cannot access.
    Depending on what happens next I may seek legal advice and would suggest others do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by c-o-l-e View Post
    I recently changed over to quarterly billing, but after reading the for sale thread I requested my money back.
    I also canceled a number of my packages.
    I have 7 shared hosting accounts and sized down to 3 VPS from 9.
    this morning I cannot access any email and cannot access the connectswitch website.
    I have important business emails that I cannot access.
    Depending on what happens next I may seek legal advice and would suggest others do the same.
    I think I'll start backing-up my files just in case something bad happens.

I've managed to access my email and I'll post the email from the new owner next:

ConnectSwitch.com

Greetings!
    My name is Suhail Choudhury, and I'd like to welcome you to OSHS(Open Source Hosting Solutions) as part of our recent acquisition of ConnectSwitch and its hosting business. << removed >>

We are aware that in recent months the level of service provided by ConnectSwitch has dropped considerably, and sincerely hope that we can provide you with a superior level of service.

Few important things you should know at this stage:

1.) The client billing/support system is now both located at http://www.mycs.co.uk and so please now use this FOR ALL BILLING AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT. There were a number of unanswered tickets open at the previous helpdesk which need to be re-submitted at the client billing/support system. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause if you had an open ticket, but by consolidating the billing/technical support into one area we will be able to provide better and more efficient support to you.

2.) The PayPal address which new invoices will request payment to is "info@opensourcehostingsolutions.co.uk" and on any statements the name may show up as "OSHS". If you pay your invoices manually then simply continue to use the payment links on your invoices when they are generated and these payments will automatically be made to this new email address.

3.) PLEASE CANCEL ANY ACTIVE PAYPAL SUBSCRIPTIONS. When your next invoice is generated, it will have an option to sign up to a new PayPal subscription which will start using this new PayPal address.

4.) For hosting customers - please note that we will be migrating your acounts over to a new server shortly. However this should be done with zero downtime and since you are using our nameservers you don't have anything to do. However if you have a hosting or reseller account and you are using your own custom nameservers, please submit a ticket so we can migrate you without any hiccups.

5.) For all VPS customers - please note that we will be contacting you shortly about any changes to your VPS services. However please be rest assured that we are a solid company in business for over 5 years and you can trust us with your data.

And that's it for now! If you have any further questions, please open a ticket. You can also do this by simply replying to this email.

Otherwise I wish you all the best, and sincerely hope we have a great hosting business relationship with you!

Regards,
    Suhail Choudhury.
    (Managing Director of OSHS Limited)
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I think I'll start backing-up my files just in case something bad happens.
    well i've rsync'ed this morning, also lodged a support ticket asking for a vzdump, or at least working backups in vdsmanager.

that was over an hour ago, high priority ticket, heard nothing. hey what time is it in mombai, maybe they're asleep?

I had a mixed experience with connectswitch, mostly good though

Despite the negative posts about connectswitch, I signed up for one of Sam's Dedicated servers that was supposed to be live on, or before the 1st of August.

It wasn't live on that day, it took an additional 7ish days to actually be setup, which he blamed the data centre for. (I have no qualms or reason to doubt him)

He seemed friendly when we messaged each other via PM and Email and the server was setup as requested and I had no problems

But then I saw the ad he placed on here saying he was selling connectswitch and that alarmed me somewhat

So I moved to a wiredtree VPS in the USA.

The same day I moved he sent out an email to everyone stating he had changed his mind and the business was no longer for sale

But then today I got the same email from Suhail Choudhury saying he was the new owner.

Unfortunatly connectswitch is just one of probably hundreds/thousands of hosts who promise "Premium" or "Superb" services, but provide quite the opposite

Hosts who claim such a level of service, quite frankly, should be prohibited from posting any ads on WHT until their service actually reaches a "premium" level.

yeah, sam's service has been pretty good for the price, but he has had some serious issues with datacenters (de) and network providers (uk) and never really recovered from the hypervm debacle - that's when things started to go wrong like half-done virtuozzo migrations, bodged vdsmanager control panels etc.

mind you its not as bad as my old colo hosts bluelinux.co.uk, who have made off with my sun server!

i'm thinking of going with rapidswitch as their double offer seems great, but i want ubuntu not centos, so still looking for a uk-based vps for around 15ukp.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the company (Opensourcehostingsolutions) also took over another company I used a long time ago in the past (wixed.co.uk)

If you go to their page here they currently only offer 2 VPS's.

Xen Based VPS - Base Configuration - 256MB Guaranteed RAM, 25GB Storage, 100GB Traffic, 1 IP - Is priced at £15 Monthly

Xen VPS, 256MB RAM, 25GB Storage, 100GB Traffic, CF, FSM - Xen VPS, 256MB RAM, 25GB Storage, 100GB Traffic, Cpanel & Fantastico, Full Server Management, 10GB Remote Backup Storage - is priced at £50 Monthly

Obviously, at this stage they didn't own any of connectswitch's Dedicated servers but slightly different pricing!

Then again, they also seem to own a company called vpswow so maybe they will keep CS seperate?

yeah the vpswow plans seem similar to connectswitch except centos-only.

oshs's xen vps plans look horribly underpowered though.

still not had this second email about what's going to happen with our vps's or a reply to my support ticket after 4 hours....

I´m waiting and hoping for the best, best as in we can keep our at the moment plans, and servers still are good as they are.

Good luck for Suhail, and lets hope he can continue service as good as Sam did!

They said vps are going to move so they wont keep the same servers.

I've lost access to cPanel now so can't check my box trapper queue for any more emails.
    Judging by the prices on their other sites I will not continue to use their services.
    Price per GB of transfer is higher than using amazons s3 or cloudfront services.
    The new owners lack of reasonable notice to service alterations speaks volumes about what is to come.

Quote Originally Posted by elas View Post
    They said vps are going to move so they wont keep the same servers.
    where did you hear that from?

in that case i think they need to refund us.

still not heard from my ticket yet - 7 hours+

Quote Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
    where did you hear that from?

in that case i think they need to refund us.

still not heard from my ticket yet - 7 hours+
    In the email notice it says they're moving the shared hosting, cPanel on the shared hosting no longer seems to work but my domains are still live.

yeah, sam's service has been pretty good for the price
    (...) never really recovered from the hypervm debacle - that's when things started to go wrong like half-done virtuozzo migrations, bodged vdsmanager control panels etc.
    Actually, that's not the case. Things started to go wrong before that. My original review found in the first post of this thread for an example, relates to significant issues dates back a couple of weeks or so (IIRC) before the hypervm issues.

Trying to blame things on 3rd parties is pointless, ConnectSwitch/Sam made one mistake after the other and only dug himself deeper and deeper through lack of communication with his customerbase. Running a ton of VPS' on a single server in the UK without raid, causing data loss and ~3 days of downtime (for some even more) with little to no information is purely his ****-up. At the end of the day he is also responsible for choosing and staying with the hosts he supposedly had so much trouble with in the past, and for clearly misleading people with a promise of a "premium service" he was not capable of delivering.

This is what happens when your average joe finds out he is going to start a host, and go for quick profit by cutting corners, promising too much and underpricing his services to attract business.

Their support is bad! But really im very happy about the speed and the stability of their servers! MY VPS with them is really fast than ever!

I was happy while it lasted but I had a UK vps lose all data, not the end of the world but then news of Sam selling also made me move on to another host so I got out first. I hope the new owners look after their connectswitch clients.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyjames View Post
    I was happy while it lasted but I had a UK vps lose all data, not the end of the world but then news of Sam selling also made me move on to another host so I got out first. I hope the new owners look after their connectswitch clients.
    That also happened to me, I had to contact them to find out why my VPS was down and I got a response after a day with little info and he wouldn't answer my questions, just offered a new VPS or cancellation. I took the new VPS as I had already been credited with 1 month free due to another mishap (my VPS went down and I didn't receive a support ticket response for 3 days).

who are people moving to - i still can't find anyone really who can compete, or at least offer 64-bit ubuntu 8.04 vps's with openvz in the uk for that kind of price.

still not heard about my support ticket, 10 hours now, i even emailed the indian chap directly....

who are people moving to - i still can't find anyone really who can compete, or at least offer 64-bit ubuntu 8.04 vps's with openvz in the uk for that kind of price.

still not heard about my support ticket, 10 hours now, i even emailed the indian chap directly....
    I have gone to dme hosting for a budget VPS and Enotch for my second VPS with them on their Hades plan as it is half price for a limited time, $5.95 for 1GB ram and 3300GB month BW, be mad not to. Neither of these are UK though.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyjames View Post
    I have gone to dme hosting for a budget VPS and Enotch for my second VPS with them on their Hades plan as it is half price for a limited time, $5.95 for 1GB ram and 3300GB month BW, be mad not to. Neither of these are UK though.
    that enotch looks good, not sure if they do 64-bit ubuntu 8.04 though, just says "ubuntu", its not 1gb though, and they have bad reviews about slow support.

i was also looking at dme hosting with the 3 ip offer, was a little put off by bad reviews i found (no good reviews!) and their love of hypervm.

still no news on that trouble ticket, been like 18 hours now or something.

that enotch looks good, not sure if they do 64-bit ubuntu 8.04 though, just says "ubuntu", its not 1gb though, and they have bad reviews about slow support.

i was also looking at dme hosting with the 3 ip offer, was a little put off by bad reviews i found (no good reviews!) and their love of hypervm.

still no news on that trouble ticket, been like 18 hours now or something.
    It's 512MB, 1GB burst on that enotch plan, sorry should have been more specific. There is a good review recently for DME and if the service I get continues they will get a good one from me.

I feel kinda betrayed after receiving the new owner's email.

Because it happened only few days after Sam said he decided not to sell the company!
    Now, I really don't know whats gonna happen. If they want to increase the prices, I will be the first one leaving the company.
    Anybody knows another great company like CS offering high quality service on low prices?

Quote Originally Posted by sina6002 View Post
    I feel kinda betrayed after receiving the new owner's email.

Because it happened only few days after Sam said he decided not to sell the company!
    Now, I really don't know whats gonna happen. If they want to increase the prices, I will be the first one leaving the company.
    Anybody knows another great company like CS offering high quality service on low prices?
    i just wish i knew what's going to happen to the vps plan, we still haven't got this 2nd email they promised.

if they're going to change the pricing or switch to xen or something, then i'll jump ship tomorrow, but if they are not going to change anything i'll stick with them until the rest of my 13 months is up.

i still haven't heard from them via email or ticket system, after lodging a ticket almost a-day-and-a-half ago!

Guys, as I have good experience with linux server management and being in web hosting business for a long time, I have a suggestion.

We can gather together and rent a good server and live together on a server.(and we make it non-profit. I mean we only pay the rental fee.)

If anyone is interested in this offer, let me know their requirements and what they expect to pay. Then we can put our money together and rent a good server. So, Please let me know if this offer seem interesting.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast