what will happen if my sites activities crossed ram limit

hi there,
    i am going to purchase a shared hosting package from justhost.com
    but i think the ram allocated to my account wont be enough for my websites activities

i just want to know what will happen if my sites activities crossed ram limit

will my account be suspended or the sites will be only slower or what ???

thanks in advance,

In most cases, especially the hosts who offers low limits on RAM/CPU usage, you'll likely to be suspended. However, this would be the catch when it comes to "unlimited" hosting. Since they don't limit you on the disk space and bandwidth that you use, they'll simply limit you to the amount of server (RAM or CPU) resources that you may be using at any given time. In most cases, this limitation is very low in a shared environment.

Depending on what you're looking to host, you may want to find a provider who do not put low limits and caps on RAM/CPU usage. Or if you know that your website will be resource intensive, you may want to look into getting a VPS or dedicated server to avoid any issues with account suspension.

I believe Justhost has a limit and seconds for the ram. E.g. can not exceed 10% of ram for 90 seconds, etc. It's in their TOS probably, and something you need to ask them if it's not there.
    Last edited by Jacob Wall; 09-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

What happens to the account itself varies greatly from host to host. Some may shut you down immediately while others may contact you to try and help get the resource usage down prior to taking any action. This also may depend on the severity of your resource usage, and in cases where you're causing issues for other users on the server you may find that your account or domain has to be temporarily disabled to prevent it from negatively impacting other users.

In cases where it's not a serious issue, you may just find that your sites are operating more slowly than usual, due to them not being able to use the resources it needs.

You should probably contact your prospective host and let them know your situation. Tell them that you think your site may need more resources than what a shared hosting account provides and ask them what you need to do to ensure things go smoothly. Ask if you can set it up on shared hosting temporarily and if that doesn't work out you can be ready to upgrade to their next level of service.

You'd need to ask Justhost about that not a forum of other webhosts (etc). It's their policy to set. Most likely if you begin to reach some sort of limit you'll either be throttled (slowed down) or suspended. Also you'll likely get some sort of contact, an automated warning perhaps, or a ticket opened on your behalf by their monitoring system. Or not.

From their site:
    We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to discontinue service to any customer with a website or other hosted data that takes up more than 10% of the server resources and/or 10% of the server's CPU. This means that if your website is found to be utilizing more than 10% of the CPU and memory of the service, we reserve the right to take your site offline. If this becomes necessary, you can either upgrade your hosting package, or request a pro-rated refund of the amounts you have paid in advance for the services. Due to the severity of this, and our ability to act quickly to correct these situations to avoid server issues, we will do everything reasonably feasible to provide you with a warning prior to taking your site offline, but we accept no obligation to do so.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

thanks very much
    i got the idea

i think i will go with shared hosting first, if my sites activities start to make problems i will just convert to vps hosting

Well in one of my accounts when my limit suddenly shot up while making a script my account got suspended and I had to open a support ticket to restart my account again.

Also they told me next time if it ever happened they would close my account.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Yes, If your site would be responsible for consuming the more resources on the shared hosting. This might affects others site on the servers. For server security reason the admin might suspend your account temporary it might be yours loss. So I like your approach of moving to VPS if your sites will face this trouble.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

One suggestion I have is to keep a set of recent enough backups. If your account gets suspended, the abuse department is slow, non responsive, or uncooperative, you'll have your data and be able to just move to a host of your choice.

As for the limits that hosts put in place, they're partly theoretical. If 20 sites on the server each use 5% of the server's capacity, they will still do something about the situation.

As I always say, what it usually comes down to, is how much you pay. Leaving aside any special offers, if you pay $4, expect less than if you were paying $15.

If you're already wondering if you'll be suspended or if your site will slow down, it all boils down to how much your site is worth to you, either in terms of uptime or revenue. It's always better to be proactive rather than reactive. Like Dan recommended, do regular backups.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

Maybe you should better raise your budget.Your account will be suspended when you are crossing their limits whatever RAM or CPU.Then you will be asked to upgrade your package.So,why not purchase a reasonable one at first..