Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Angry EnotchNetworks VPS DOWN !

Hello,
    Now it's 24 hours my VPS with Enotchnetworks.com is DOWN !
    first they said they are under DOS attack and then they are saying they have LOST ALL OUR DATA include BACKUP server !
    how even that is possible ?
    read the messages i've got from them :
    ---------------------
    Hello,
    We are suffering from a denial of service attack targeted against our 38.108.111.0/24 IP block which hosts a good segment of our VPS's.
    We are working with our network folks to mitigate this attack and will keep you updated.

Official statement:

At about 7pm this morning we began experiencing high traffic aimed at one of our VPS nodes (zeus.hostidea.net). This attack was well coordinated and was intended at impacting the network which it did for a matter of mins before our engineering folks were able to mitigate the problem. At 6am this morning, we began experiencing problems with the Zeus node and its system stability and upon rebooting we were confronted with an “auhwipe message” hinting that we have been affected by an intentional attack and data has been lost. We do not have enough information to confirm which vulnerability we have been affected by just yet but our backup systems have also been affected.

At this point we have started preliminary tasks on the storage systems that are connected to the Zeus node to attempt a recovery. So far we are able to retrieve data but we will need more time to image and begin working before we can provide customers with their information if possible.

Customers on our Poseidon, Hades & Neptunus nodes are not affected during this time but we are taking extra precautions to ensure that we do not have this problem on those systems.

We will continue to provide updates as they become available from the onsite team.
    ---------------------

i am just praying for data recovery to work (

DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN

I want my backup, i want my data.

Please Speedup To Run Again, I Want My Data.

When you time up my servers?

You should have give backup of nodes, for emergency time.

Yes my main VPS with them is down since yesterday and I received the same messages but the newer cheap one I have with them is running fine, shame it's not the other way around....!

my hades vps is still up, but it is slooow as hell

Unfortunately not many people know how to stop a ddos attack correctly and it looks like they are just waiting for it to stop.

Anybody not have good news?

Sorry folks. Hope you get your server back up and running. However, I am not sure how data was corrupted on the main as well as backup server? May be they can shed some more light on this?

... At about 7pm this morning..
    They seem to be working hard considering the above typo

Shouldn't this be in the outages section?

It's pathetic. I lost all of my users data (all 25,000 records...., 17,000 of which are active daily), 24 hours downtime has cost me about $500 in ad and microtransaction earnings. I have a cron the runs hourly, and the last cron report i have received is at wednesday at 6am. Before that i missed a few crons due to the server being down for a short time BEFORE that (When i messaged them i got the standard "oh, i can access it with our tools, weird how our vps panel can't connect. It'll fix itself, don't worry).

Ugh, now i know why enotch was the only host i could afford... now that i have the money to switch back to geekstorage, i don't have recent user info (i do my backups once a week, which should be today, and my backup is missing 99% of the users records as i had a HUGE spike in registrations after posting an ad).

So, what type of liability do they face? I can't even access their T.O.S to see if they are covered by this.

The really sad part? They just sent me an invoice for another month of hosting with them. I seriously laughed.

Any enotch customer should call this number and complain: 1-800-871-3764

I plan to do the same once i fully wake up.

seeing as i can't edit:

It's odd, isent it? How their rep's don't even come here to try to fight off the bad pr?

Enotch not any answer to tickets and not any answer this post.

Where is enotch admin?
    Where is enotch support?

All server more 24h downed.

What do you do? Enotch we need answer to this post.we need new news.we need server up server.we need my data.we need to up.

An update will be posted to everyone shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by hamidcool57 View Post
    Enotch not any answer to tickets .... [truncated]
    The main website is offline right now (enotch.com and my.enotch.com are all timing out on me). But their billing system doesent seem to have been impacted

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    Unfortunately not many people know how to stop a ddos attack correctly and it looks like they are just waiting for it to stop.
    If you re-read the post you will see that the ddos attack was stopped. The ddos attack was used to impact the stability of the system but we have not confirmed if this is related to the current problem that we are having with the Zeus node. Stop commenting on things you know nothing about.

I got website hosted with them at 38.108.110.XXX ip block. And i cant connect to port 80 as well as ftp (port 21 responds but thats all, no login prompt or nothing). Im usimg MTR from europe and i cant really see ANY SETIOUS packet loss to my server.

We are waiting for explanations.

G

Some questions here:

1) U saying that DDOS was to 38.108.111.0/24 network. Your websites enotch.com and my.enotch.com are on 38.108.110.XXX/XX class. So why they are also inaccessible?

2) How come that someone compromised your system in the same time it was DDOSed and inaccessible?

3) How come that you lost also backup? (one server hosting?)

4) What type of DDOS was that? (i think u got some router logs or some firewalls?)

Waiting.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by enotchnet View Post
    If you re-read the post you will see that the ddos attack was stopped. The ddos attack was used to impact the stability of the system but we have not confirmed if this is related to the current problem that we are having with the Zeus node. Stop commenting on things you know nothing about.
    What a wonderful way to treat a paying customer.

edit: @Grooby: Perfectly said.

edit2: Quick question... You claim that the DDOS is OVER.... but my IP is still unresponsive, both port 80 and 21 (the only two ports i really use)...

Another question: Why, if your website is down, as well as EVERYONES VPS on the zeus node are down... why do you feel it is appropriate to send customers invoices?
    Last edited by AniMud; 09-03-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. It would be interesting to know how the server was compromised.

What VPS Control Panel was it running?

From their ToS
    Customer acknowledges that the service provided is of such a nature that service can be interrupted for many reasons other than the negligence of the company and that damages resulting from any interruption of service are difficult to ascertain. Therefore, Customer agrees that the company shall not be liable for any damages arising from such causes beyond the direct and exclusive control of the company. Customer further acknowledges that the company's liability for its own negligence may not in any event exceed an amount equivalent to charges payable by Customer for services during the period damages occurred. In no event shall the company be liable for any special or consequential damages, loss or injury.
    I wonder if this falls under negligence on enotch's part. I think i'll forward this off to my attorney along with the ToS found from the google cache, and see what he says. At this point i'm pretty fed up with enotch. First it was FTP problems, then it was the server going down but "It wasent really down, we could see it on our end", and now it's been down for well over 24 hours, which in the end costs me money.

Oh, and the fact they were so incompetant they lost the BACKUP server to a DDOS pretty much shows the level of support i should expect from them in the future.

I don't care about downtime anymore !
    the important thing is now OUR DATA

I am just sitting here and praying for data recovery ...
    Enotch PLEASE ...

P.S :
    this kind of remembered me about Sarorahosting.com
    i was on that too
    Last edited by PersianStar; 09-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.

@PersianStar: Go geekstorage... i regret not going back to them when i had the chance.

Still no info from enotch...

I want my files and money back.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by AniMud View Post
    What a wonderful way to treat a paying customer.
    That was aimed at Zanyhost who you may find is not an Enotch customer.

Quick Update: We are making progress. We have imaged the storage system that was attached to the Zeus node. The attacker made significant attempts to erase the data on disk but we have seen signs that we may have a successful recovery. However, we have been able to recover data from a few separate 5 min dumps. We are hoping that this can be resolved shortly once the dumps are complete. We are looking at about ~500GB of data so this has taken some time to complete.

We apologize for the lack of communication today but we are really getting hit today with the attack on our shared hosting platform and our own Enotch server infrastructure.

I will make an attempt to update Twitter during this time until our support system is accessible again. Twitter - http://twitter.com/enotchnetworks.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast