Web Hosting with IRC

I know this is a touch and go subject for some reason no one really likes IRC in the hosting world.

Let me preface with the purposes of my IRC access are NOT for warez!

I have a php bot (I can't post links so Google 'php irc') which runs a module for an online game.

The bot is heavily integrated with our IPB forums, so there has to be http access as well. (I run 2 other very small sites in addition)

My current host just sold out and the new ownership couldn't be doing anything more wrong so I think it's time to make the change.

I've tried using the 'Find a host' option but it didn't really work out.

VPS is really quite out of my range - I am currently paying $5.50US/pm for a service I was very happy with. I feel I must move.

I know you're not allowed to advertise yourselves in posts but if you could indicate any hosts who may be able to provide this service it would be amazing.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Weko View Post
    I know this is a touch and go subject for some reason no one really likes IRC in the hosting world.
    It is easily abused - that's why.

I have a php bot (I can't post links so Google 'php irc') which runs a module for an online game.
    Now that's different.

Many hosts will allow IRC "clients" - but very few will allow IRCD (although not sure how shared hosting comes into play here - I suspect most shared hosting providers don't even have an IRC clause in their TOS since they assume you can't really run anything like IRC on a shared www+ftp+email box - they might block the irc port though so you'd have to check that).

Armed with this knowledge you might want to look around again
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Well the only way I've managed to get some leeway is asking if they have port 6667 open. As soon as I ask for that it's always the same reaction: IRC, IRCD - no thank you.

One hosting provider said it was possible if I bought a dedicated IP - and additional $50 per year. This isn't really an option!

$50 a year is less than $5 month.
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I'm glad you pointed that out, but as I said 'additional.' The plan I was looking at was already more expensive than my current.

I essence it was going to be twice the amount.

Well the only way I've managed to get some leeway is asking if they have port 6667 open. As soon as I ask for that it's always the same reaction: IRC, IRCD - no thank you.
    Of course they said that!

Ask for a free trial (even 1 hour) - or a money back offer - that's the only way to get past that.

If they don't disallow it in TOS/AUP, then you are lucky - but don't go asking them about it because they will always assume the worst!
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Talking

Let me preface with the purposes of my IRC access are NOT for warez!

The bot is heavily integrated with our IPB forums, so there has to be http access as well. (I run 2 other very small sites in addition)

My current host just sold out and the new ownership couldn't be doing anything more wrong so I think it's time to make the change.

I've tried using the 'Find a host' option but it didn't really work out.

VPS is really quite out of my range - I am currently paying $5.50US/pm for a service I was very happy with. I feel I must move.

I know you're not allowed to advertise yourselves in posts but if you could indicate any hosts who may be able to provide this service it would be amazing.

Thanks.

Check out Ispeeds. They should be able to host you. if you have any questions, email sales, Ben (the owner) is a very helpful guy.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

have a look at xzibition.com, i have used them in the past when i was into IRC and they are very helpfull and they have servers all over the place as well
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

There are several good irc shell providers out there that will provide web+irc access. Normally on two different systems, due to security reasons. Do some searching on the forum and find someone who specifically offers it. Most shared hosting providers are focused on shared hosting and mixing IRC with shared isn't the best business decision.
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915