In need of VPS Reseller with details.

Hey all, I'm back after some thinking and have decided to go with a VPS account. I'm a webdesigner and would like to start hosting my clients. Some are just a two-seven page website with a total disk usage of 10-200MB/each. While some other accounts I can get are message boards which need a couple to several gigabytes of disk space and you can imagine the transfer.

I've been up and down the promotion/advertising section and have bookmarked a few hosts, but could not find what I need in my tight budget.

I'm looking for the following.

VPS (Managed) | cPanel/WHM |WHMCS (second choice ClientExec)
    And the extras like fantastico would most likely be an extra if the host can provide those ^ .

Resources: AT LEAST: 20GB | 300GB
    Budget, right now, $40/month is tops for me.

Also, if you want to know my VPS specs, I guess 512MB RAM is good enough, and CPU's nowadays I don't have to worry, unless someone is running P3's and P4's and offering my needs, then maybe I should be worried. D:

I have contacted some hosts and am waiting to hear back from them, in the meantime, do you guys have any recomendations?

512mb VPS would be perfect for you. cPanel will use about 130mb RAM on a new install.
    most of the time you will find that cpanel license are cheaper from cpaneldirect.net
    Are you wanting a managed server?
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I highly recommend WiredTree if you can bump up your budget just a little bit.

Check out these lists of hosts ranked by uptime and network performance:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/Hosters
    http://uptime.besthostratings.com/webhosts-uptime.php

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    512mb VPS would be perfect for you. cPanel will use about 130mb RAM on a new install.
    most of the time you will find that cpanel license are cheaper from cpaneldirect.net
    Are you wanting a managed server?
    So you're saying I should get a VPS account an purchase the licenses seperatly from somewhere else (cpaneldirect) and install them myself?

Edit - And yes, I would like to go with managed.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    I highly recommend WiredTree if you can bump up your budget just a little bit.
    The only way I can bump my budget is if I'd be able to get the first month for a sale of some sort, and advertise like mad so when it comes around to the second month, my bill is down, which would be nice.

Edit- With a coupon, I get a monthly payment of 54.10, 14 over my budget, but if I get enough clients....
    Last edited by jrandall; 09-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.

I went for a Liquidweb VPS a few months back. I use their coupon (you can find it in the advertising section which takes $10 off and adds some free upgrades) and paid a $100 setup fee, which took a further $10 off the price. So now I'm paying $40 per month.

So far I have nothing to complain about.

Well, you should be able to find something for the price you are willing to pay, but do not think that you would get Managed VPS. Well, someone might offer a Managed VPS at the price of unmanaged, but this would be risky for you, if you really count on the web host to manage your virtual server. I've also seen that someone brough up the issue with licenses. it is true that average price of a cPanel or Plesk VPS licence is around $15/month. So web hosts might find a way to sell them for cheap, but some don't. So the real price of the VPS you want to use is around $90/month...

My suggestion is to hunt for any kind of discounts, coupons, promotional campaigns. Most of the major VPS hosting providers usually run some.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Right now I'm leaning towards ResllerZoom.

KnownHost
    $56.00/month
    cPanel/WHM | WHMCS | Fantastico
    30GB | 550 GB
    Managed
    $28.00 first month, $56 every month following

WiredTree
    $55.10/month
    cPanel/WHM | WHMCS | Fantastico
    40GB | 1TB
    LitespeedWebServer + $12/month

ResellerZoom
    $44.50
    cPanel/WHM | ClientExec | Fantastico | EnomResellerAccount
    25GB | 500GB
    Managed

I also have to take into consideration if I can get clients ready-to-go, and whether or not I should go for the long term investment right off the bat and start with, maybe...

Quick Question, would I really notice a difference if say I went with WiredTree and invested in the LiteSpeedWebServer? Most of the messageboards are PHP run, would I honestly notice a difference for that extra 12 bucks a month?

512MB
    Managed
    Cpanel
    Billing Software
    $40/mo

I agree you're going to have to hunt down a sale normally you'll pay $5-10 extra for the billing software so you're really looking for a $30-35 VPS with the above specs.

Searching the offers I came up with Knownhost's special (half off first month and then 15% off lifetime). A VS3 will cost you $38.25. Add $11 for Cpanel, Fantastico and WHMCS and that brings you to $49.25.

I would tweak your business model so you can come up with an extra $10 a month, that would get you into fantastic hosting. Either that or go unmanaged.
    Last edited by Nnyan; 09-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Your best bet would be to search around for good sales this weekend because many companies will put up some nice labor day sales I would think. It is a holiday weekend so maybe if you check around the VPS Offers forums you will find something this weekend that will allow you to stay in your budget but get what you want.

JcLusso
    OpticGrid Networks - Fast . Reliable . Affordable - OpticGrid.com
    Email: [email protected] | Toll-Free: 1-888-993-8338

I'd edit my post but the edit button seems to disapear for me (IE8) once I reopen a closed session after posting.

I'll choose WiredTree over KnownHost by the specs I had posted in my previous post.
    However, ResllerZoom is in my budget, but, WT gets me more bang for my buck, And frankly, if all I'm worried about is the money, I should go for it, because if I can work on getting clients, my bill will go down, kind of, but you get the point.

From a few searches it also looks like WiredTree has a substantial amount of backing by users here too. Which is a green light. =]

Thanks for all the insight and comments, keep them coming!

My stand as of now is to go with WiredTree.

You could always start out without litespeed and add it when you build your client base.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rad14 View Post
    So you're saying I should get a VPS account an purchase the licenses seperatly from somewhere else (cpaneldirect) and install them myself?
    If its cheaper than what the host is going to offer it... yes
    Many of our clients use third party licenses we are a host and I have no interest in competing with other people software prices, and we will even still install it for them.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

The company you have chosen has a good reputation and I hope you'll be happy with them. The only thing to suggest is not to compare the web hosts only by features/price, but to find out who would pay more attention on your project. Customer reviews is one of the things you would to focus. The other one is to send emails to the providers you have already chosen and to see who's more responsive. Compare the responsiveness to the reviews that come from customers, because some providers have very good sales teams, but the poor support!
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Many of our clients use third party licenses we are a host and I have no interest in competing with other people software prices, and we will even still install it for them.
    That's very true, however many sometimes don't see that as an option or don't even realize they could do that.

Well, from what I saw, cpaneldirect offers an external cpanel at $15 where most hosts I've seen are either 5,6,12, 15, or as in your case, none. So I guess it's good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    The company you have chosen has a good reputation and I hope you'll be happy with them. The only thing to suggest is not to compare the web hosts only by features/price, but to find out who would pay more attention on your project. Customer reviews is one of the things you would to focus. The other one is to send emails to the providers you have already chosen and to see who's more responsive. Compare the responsiveness to the reviews that come from customers, because some providers have very good sales teams, but the poor support!
    I haven't choosen WiredTree just yet, that is I haven't opened an account with anyone, but WiredTree is the one I'm leaning towards. I get a better bang for my buck.

I've read reviews and it seems they have great support...but as they say, don't knock it 'till you try it, or something like that...the only real way I'm going to find out how their services are is to go with them, or anyone for that matter.

I sent an email to sales about Labor Day as someone mentioned in this thread.

And again, thank you all for all of your suggestions, insight, and advice from experience. I'll be sure to keep a log from day one with whoever I go with and I will post my review here/give updates.

And keep the replies coming!

PS: I know this is off-topic but, can you change the "/cpanel" address? For example, one host I have, example.net/cpanel and that's how you login. Is this the same with every cpanel host or do you have to use their portal, or does the VPS host (me) get to asign the login url? - heh, I should send this to support at the hosts, see how they respond...