How to Deal with Middle East Client that Wont Pay

I had a Middle East client who was quite prompt with payment till he cancelled. He owe a few hundred dollars but keep refusing to pay and now refused even to answer my email. I am from Singapore, anyway of getting back the money?

Nope, mark it off and concentrate on the customers you still have. Even if it were a few grand, collecting across country borders is going to be hard and costly, not worth your time and effort.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

No point in even trying, unfortunately looks like he knows that.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

I basicaly agree with the other posts,
    write it off as experience.

However you could consider sending a 'final notice' by 'snail mai'
    but I would not 'hold your breath', waiting for payment.

Write it off as bad debt, if he continues to ignore payments. There is little you can do.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

I agree with the above. Justice may be blind but it sure can prove to be prohibitively expensive as well. Just doing your research on how to legally proceed will require lots of time that no one will give you back or compensate you for.

Just like the above mentioned it's really best to consider it lost. But may i ask and i hope you allready disabled the user's account correct for non payment?

You can always "out" them by posting their company details publicly. Or if their domain is still pointed to you, but a nice "suspended for non-payment" message on it.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

Hopefully you will use this experience in the future to keep your clients as current with their invoices as possible specially those clients in other countries. Its probably best like everyone else has said to cut your losses and move on.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

Sometimes, you have forget recovery of the dues from such customers. We have had a bad experience with a customer who won't pay for the dedicated server and when we stopped his server for non-payment, he says he won't pay bcoz we stopped the server. How ridiculous!!!!
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Quote Originally Posted by prashant1979 View Post
    Sometimes, you have forget recovery of the dues from such customers. We have had a bad experience with a customer who won't pay for the dedicated server and when we stopped his server for non-payment, he says he won't pay bcoz we stopped the server. How ridiculous!!!!
    I have heard that one a few times before...it is ridiculous. It's best just to move on because they clearly aren't being reasonable.
    Stephanie Ostheimer
    Director of Account Management
    SingleHop Dedicated Servers

The only way you can re-coop those funds is if you have something of value - say some important date. Even then, nothing is stopping him from sending the payment, getting his sh*t, and issuing a charge back. I have had it done before.

It's the story of my life, believe me.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Gonna be almost impossible to get that money back. One of those Live and Learn Situations.

What sort of service were you giving him that it will cost you so much as an expense?

If it was a dedicated and he canceled, you didn't turn off his server right away?
    Not sure what to put here :-P

It's not worth your effort. Just cut him off and move on.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    The only way you can re-coop those funds is if you have something of value - say some important date. Even then, nothing is stopping him from sending the payment, getting his sh*t, and issuing a charge back. I have had it done before.

It's the story of my life, believe me.
    Once you get into that position, only accept payment by cash, bank wire or money order. Time is no longer your problem. If they want it right away, they can send a money order by Fedex.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

This has happened to us twice before. The worst is, he was a regular client for 8 months and eventually upgraded to about 4 servers.

He then did not pay and his account went without payment for 15 days. He cut all means of contact as well, he then filed for chargeback for all the transactions for all the services he had for the past 8 months. Total loss was around $5k. The client was from Turkey.

We learned from our mistakes and moved on. That is about all what you can do.

There are alot of scams when it comes to providing service to the middle east. That is what I have found out the hard way.

Just be carefull the next time around.

My two cents.
    Hussain
    Hussain Baig - 1-866-954-6747
    Toronto based VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation
    VPS Fusion - Providing scalable and reliable hosting solutions.

Not profiling here, but my one client from I think Syria or Pakistan had to go through a bit of extra verification, and he's been very happy so far.

He understood that he had a unique case due to his location and our ability to reach and contact him about billing issues etc...

At least there are some people from that side of the world that understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dbgohan View Post
    The client was from Turkey.
    I apologize in advance to all Turks but I'll never take another order for any service worth more than a few bucks from a Turkish ip, bash me if you want but it ain't happening.

Edit: unless it's Paypal (sorry shoulda mentioned that)
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Quote Originally Posted by 2Grumpy View Post
    I apologize in advance to all Turks but I'll never take another order for any service worth more than a few bucks from a Turkish ip, bash me if you want but it ain't happening.

Edit: unless it's Paypal (sorry shoulda mentioned that)
    I've actually taken a similar policy, but when you have 95% of all customers from Turkey commit fraud, it sorta makes a prejudice against your country.

It's not that we disrespect you, but your countries habits, I guess?

He had been a good customer until the end when he started skipping payment. He is once a while in this forum but I do not want to shame him publicly over a few hundred dollars. What goes around comes around. I do believe in karma.

Quote Originally Posted by DNGeeks View Post
    You can always "out" them by posting their company details publicly. Or if their domain is still pointed to you, but a nice "suspended for non-payment" message on it.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    He had been a good customer until the end when he started skipping payment. He is once a while in this forum but I do not want to shame him publicly over a few hundred dollars. What goes around comes around. I do believe in karma.

Karma, oh lets not get started about Karma. I've had my fair share, and so have some of my clients.

Karma is last resort...
    Try get him to paid with non traditional way. May be some of your friend can wrote little poem or song or haiku I just know few collectors here and had good laugh when they tell me how they get debtor to pay. With enough experience and ingenuity you may get money back very quickly. And you don't need for that AK-47...
    Main problem that most of host owner - especially small and mid-size company CEO - just have too much problem here and there and have not time for new idea.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Quote Originally Posted by rustelekom View Post
    Karma is last resort...
    Try get him to paid with non traditional way. May be some of your friend can wrote little poem or song or haiku I just know few collectors here and had good laugh when they tell me how they get debtor to pay. With enough experience and ingenuity you may get money back very quickly. And you don't need for that AK-47...
    Main problem that most of host owner - especially small and mid-size company CEO - just have too much problem here and there and have not time for new idea.
    Alright then, I guess that's one way of doing it.

Write them a poem, let us know how it works out. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by DNGeeks View Post
    Yeah, you definitely can do so. However, prepare yourself to attend the court, with a decent attorney.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

I kind of agree in principle,
    especialy as there is currently no communication actualy happening.
    Why should you lower your professional standards by going public,
    on an issue that should be resolved in private [or more likely not at all].

Just because you seem to be dealing with a 'jerk' does not mean you 'must' also start behaving like a 'jerk'.

However only you & he know the full story, how you deal with it is upto you,
    in the past I've done some 'name & shameing', what a wast of energy it was.
    I mean, I succeeded at achieving a non sincere apology.

OP, have you considered that he may be hospitalised or something, that caused him to be unable to respond?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING

You may want to look into some of the International Collection Agencies. I saw some of them who will only take a percentage of your recovered payments but it shouldn't be a problem if the amount is quite a lot.

There's not a lot you can do, learn from the lesson. That on the internet you don't meet the people, it'll be real hard to follow up on non-payments or things people owe you.

You should consider yourself lucky you didn't get scammed or something worse

Humiliating a (former) customer in public will never do well for you. You'll find it ends up in a 50/50 split, half the people will agree with you, and half won't. And a significant portion of people who won't agree with this public "outing" are people who are your prospective customers.

Have you tried giving the customer a call and talking to him directly? It can help sometimes.

I've actually taken a similar policy, but when you have 95% of all customers from Turkey commit fraud, it sorta makes a prejudice against your country.
    We have a lot of customers from Turkey almost all of them pay on time. But some have this bad habit of just stopping payment on their cards or just disappearing (while sites are still pointing to our network). My only "gripe" with them is that they need to learn to cancel accounts properly rather than just vanish. Aside from that, I've found them to be very nice people to deal with.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Use it as a learning experience - sorry the money is history

as above, it will be virtually impossible to collect the debt. In business there will always be losses.

I wouldn't just write it off... doesn't hurt to see what options are out there. If enough people realize that they can get away with not paying everyone will start doing that

Bad ju ju coming his way!!

SCUD missile, perhaps?
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    I wouldn't just write it off... doesn't hurt to see what options are out there. If enough people realize that they can get away with not paying everyone will start doing that

Bad ju ju coming his way!!
    In the business world, bad debts are inevitable. That's why we have to create a doubtful debt account during the accounting process.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING

i think , there's nothing you can do , Just consider it a loss.

Hmmm...Interesting posts guys...I recently had a sign up from all the way in Japan. It was very unusual for me to be receiving business from that oriental part of the world! Anyways...he has only been with us for 2 months and pays on time every time. Very respectful and knowledgeable. (he made me feel like advertising there only...lol) Anyways...this is what im getting to, I also have a local client and when it comes down to payment...its ALWAYS a problem and a hassle.

Here we have a guy from the other part of the globe who pays and one from our own soil who never pays. Life is ironic!!! lol (I just used those two clients to show you difference in mindsets when it comes to payment)
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room